• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2011 6:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
It's possible that they do, but only at the expense of greatly shortened bulb life. Further more, There's no real evidence that the small increase in light output has any effect on safety or visibility - I highly doubt that Dodge Caravans are regularly outrunning their headlights on the highway.

The problem is that most people have no clue what their headlights are actually supposed to DO, and many of them feel that they don't have enough foreground illumination, when their factory headlights are correctly aimed to keep the foreground dark and keep the eyes focused further away. Thus, they drive around with their foglights on, or install garbage HID kits that throw light all over the place, I'm suprised some of them don't just drive around with the interior cabin lights on too - hey, they shine some light out of the windshield and more light == better right? :lol:
Dec 12, 2005
897 posts
83 upvotes
I just got the Nighthawks installed on my lancer and I'm pretty impressed with the distance these carry.

I used Silverstars before and found that the distance and brightness was not as good at the nighthawks...secondly the silverstars broke within 6 months of use. Of course, if you purchased them through Canadian Tire, they can be replaced with a receipt if they do not last a year.

I alsso found that the nighthawks were much cheaper and picked up a pair from Costco for $34.99.

The only con I would say about the nighthawks were they are not as whitish as the silverstars...
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4494 posts
179 upvotes
Burnaby
+1 for the Nighthawks.

I got them for my gf's 98 protege and it made a HUGE difference compared to the stock junk bulbs it came with (almost to the point where it was dangerous to drive on non lit highway).

The Nighthawks are a bit more yellow compared to the silverstars, but I chose the Nighthawks due to the longer life (from all the reviews I've read).

Can't complain since I found a brand new pair from eBay for $12 shipped (CanadianTire sells them for $25 EACH, so $50 for a pair). This was a while ago. Was almost impossible to find the 9003 sizing.

And no these bulbs are not like those cheap HID imitations. They actually produce around 30% more light (although compared to the stock lights she had originally, felt more like a 200% increase... seriously), and are NOT blue coated.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11205 posts
1423 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 2:11 am
He made up that 30% statistic, theres no way those things increase light out put by 30%.

Thats what people who waste their money on fancy light bulbs tell themselves to sleep better at night. 30%... please... It's either HID or nothing.
Either Nighthawk or Xtravision will blow most ebay HID kits out of the water. Notice that Sylvania never publishes any numbers for Silverstar

http://www.geconsumerproducts.com/press ... hthawk.htm

NIGHTHAWK™ Automotive Lamps

Ultra-bright NIGHTHAWK™ GE sealed beam headlamps offer consumers, on average, up to 39 percent greater brightness when compared to GE's standard original-equipment halogen bulbs. NIGHTHAWK capsules offer, on average, 33 percent additional brightness;

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... travision/

XV Capsules (just replacing the lights)
XtraVision capsules leverage the technology of a specifically engineered filament and a proprietary gas mixture to create up to 30% more illumination than standard halogens. This increased light output allows drivers to see more clearly at night, and enhances driving safety. All SYLVANIA XtraVision products have been designed for maximum durability and performance.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... ilverstar/
SilverStar ULTRA will offer you the brightest, whitest, 100% legal halogen headlights.

Actually, there are 5 classes of high output halogen automotive light bulbs when you look at lightbulb reviews:
1. Hi wattage 85W+
2. +80% (super?) high efficiency
3. +50% "ultra" high efficiency
4. +30% high efficency (Nighthawk, Xtravision, etc)
5. HIR high efficiency

It's just that Nighthawk and Xtravision are cheap and easy to get here (Walmart, CT, Parts Source, etc). The others are pretty much special order.

Also note that installing a proper aftermarket lighting harness is also worth probably another 20% more light ($20). Some people also use 15VDC headlamp boosters. They claim 80% more light. They cost is about $75 cdn for two units from Kijiji or Craigslist.
KawaiiTentacleBeast wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 1:18 pm
...I highly doubt that Dodge Caravans are regularly outrunning their headlights on the highway. ..:
Those particular Chrysler products did have a very bad reputation for poor lighting.
cwb27 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 1:09 am
Are you saying that because the bulb glass has a light blue tint they're HD imitators?
Any visible coating is going to steal from the light output. It's like wearing sunglasses at night. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the sunglasses and who made them, they are going to be dimmer than not wearing any sunglasses. The problem is that the coating can reduce the normal light output so that the bulb is no longer legal (too dim). In order to get the bulb street legal again, Sylvania had to make the filament brighter but they took the easy way out and just overdrove it. That's why the bulb life is so short in the original Silverstars. That's why the Silverstar webpage is more worried about "100% legal performance". It's doesn't mean that Silverstars are too bright to be legal, it's means that they are just bright enough to be legal ! There's a whole FAQ here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... /good.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... d/bad.html

Nighthawk, Xtravision and other high efficiency bulbs are clear, but actually use improvements in filament and gas technology to increase light output while still getting decent life. The filaments tougher, smaller and have more coils. I think the Silverstar Ultra may actually use the better filament.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2065 posts
75 upvotes
humansoul wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 2:07 pm
I just got the Nighthawks installed on my lancer and I'm pretty impressed with the distance these carry.

I used Silverstars before and found that the distance and brightness was not as good at the nighthawks...secondly the silverstars broke within 6 months of use. Of course, if you purchased them through Canadian Tire, they can be replaced with a receipt if they do not last a year.

I alsso found that the nighthawks were much cheaper and picked up a pair from Costco for $34.99.

The only con I would say about the nighthawks were they are not as whitish as the silverstars...

Which Costco carries Nighthawks in Gta?....I found the Philips bulbs for around that price at costco.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2007
458 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
Billa-786 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 5:22 pm
Which Costco carries Nighthawks in Gta?....I found the Philips bulbs for around that price at costco.
Just came back from Costco and they had Philips ClearVision for that price. Not sure how they compare to Silverstar or Nighthawks.

Some headlight manufacturers mention that halogen light bulbs lose its light output after one or two years and should be replaced regularly as a routine maintenance. Anyone agree or disagree? My guess is that they want to sell more bulbs and buy their product.
Apr 14, 2004
997 posts
18 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bulbs do seem to decrease in output as time goes on, but the only time I noticed was when I replaced one burnt out bulb with a new one and had a wall a few feet in front of my car.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4494 posts
179 upvotes
Burnaby
Billa-786 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 5:22 pm
Not sure about GTA, but in GVR I saw them at the Richmond location; don't remember the price. Granview location has none.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14054 posts
756 upvotes
Markham
l69norm, thanks for educating the folks of RFD

Billa-786, you can also find Nighthawks at canadian tires
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9330 posts
690 upvotes
Brampton
vtec260 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 6:10 pm
Just came back from Costco and they had Philips ClearVision for that price. Not sure how they compare to Silverstar or Nighthawks.

Some headlight manufacturers mention that halogen light bulbs lose its light output after one or two years and should be replaced regularly as a routine maintenance. Anyone agree or disagree? My guess is that they want to sell more bulbs and buy their product.
the phillips are awesome bulbs, not as bright but will last long.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 199 and counting. RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
Apr 6, 2008
3 posts
Toronto
I purchased 2 pair of GE Nighthawks, a pair of 9003 for a Toyota Solara and 9007s for a Jetta. The first one died after 2 years and 2.5 years later all had bit the dust. Most had the low beam die on them. Now given the fact that the Solara OEM halogen bulbs were still good after 7 years, I'm very disappointed. I would not buy Nighthawks again.
Sep 12, 2006
947 posts
19 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 3:24 pm
Either Nighthawk or Xtravision will blow most ebay HID kits out of the water.
What planet are you from? Have you HAD an ebay hid kit on your car that was aimed properly?? Halogens will never blow any hid kit out of "the water", stop kidding yourself
Banned
Jan 23, 2007
965 posts
1 upvote
buy some quality philips hid kit and retrofit in some s2k or tsx projectors.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3556 posts
67 upvotes
Theres a couple of pages about increasing the brightness of your headlights, and in it the guy gives instructions about installing relays and increasing the gauge of wiring to your headlights. More power should give more light.

Makes sense to me.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WiringH ... Relays.htm

and

http://sw-em.com/lighting.htm
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11205 posts
1423 upvotes
alex_d10 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2008 1:52 am
What planet are you from? Have you HAD an ebay hid kit on your car that was aimed properly?? Halogens will never blow any hid kit out of "the water", stop kidding yourself
HIDplanet.

The only HID kits that I ever saw that half worked well were for OEM halogen projectors (that had slightly modified shields).

The other "kits" that worked in refllector housings used "casper" type shields. Here's an example of a casper shield:

This is the kit:
http://www.hidconcept.com/Kits-PhilipHe ... k-d2s.html

Can you please provide a web link for any ebay vendor that uses these in thier HID kit?
× < >