• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2017 9:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.

SIM Card router + Fido 3GB LTE good for cottage essentials?`

I am unable to get internet up at my cottage, so was thinking to get the Fido 3GB for 15$/month and a LTE router. Was looking at the TP-LINK Archer MR200 but I am not a fan of TP-LINK. If someone has experience with a different router, please let me know.

This connection will be solely used for monitoring - Smarthings hub with 2 motion sensors, 1 water/humidity sensor, wifi thermostat, and a single camera.

Would this plan work, or is there a better alternative?
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
11 replies
Apr 4, 2004
56 posts
10 upvotes
Kanata
I sure hope this works, because this is the same plan I came up with for this summer. I already had a wifi router at the cottage (for media sharing) so I simply bought a NETGEAR 4g LTE modem and will be plugging it in to the existing router.
The modem works perfectly with the Fido SIM card, and I'm looking forward to setting up wifi thermostats in a few weeks.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
What's the model number of the netgear? The LB1120 is 230..
Apr 4, 2004
56 posts
10 upvotes
Kanata
LB1120-100NAS Hmm looks like its more expensive than I remember, perhaps its gone up in price. Its on Amazon.com showing for 119 + 25 import fees (USD)
Aug 13, 2004
143 posts
137 upvotes
Montreal
They just changed it to 2GB
Jan 4, 2006
606 posts
77 upvotes
Is there anyone who can confirm the MR200 works with Fido sim? I am also looking at this. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
I don't know. Picked up a Huawei off ebay for 125$, and works pretty well. It's got the router and modem built in. Just had to change the APN settings.
Jan 4, 2006
606 posts
77 upvotes
What's the model number of the Huawei router?

I am also looking at the TP-Link MR6400 but not sure if that works either. So little info on this. It's like nobody in North American use a LTE router or something. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I can't speak for anyone else, but unless there's a need for a router specifically I'd just pick up an LTE enabled cell phone and tether off of it.
Since it's Fido, I'd get a Moto E 2nd.

Source: It's what I use for both mobile tethering and another one for my tertiary backup internet in physical locations.
Although in physical locations there's a router behind it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jan 4, 2006
606 posts
77 upvotes
Need actual Ethernet ports for a monitoring system so need a router. Otherwise a hot spot with WiFi is not that hard to find.