• Nov 10th, 2014 7:51 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 11, 2009
189 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto

sim card to be used in Asia

I will travel to Vietnam, Hong Kong and few other Asia countries for few weeks. Want to know if anyone knows where to get sim card or any cheap data plan for limit data use.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Vietnam has tourist packages with mobifone where you pay 300000vnd (16 canadian) and you get 3gb data and more than enough minutes to last your stay. I can't remember the exact prices and gb entitlement, but it should be in that ball park figure.

Hong Kong has tourist Sims at the airport which is 85hkd and gives you 1.5gb data and tons of minutes. Again, can't remember the exact number of minutes but it is more than enough to last your stay.

This info came from me when I was recently in Vietnam and Hong Kong just 2 weeks ago.

You will have to buy a new sim card for each country since none of them will roam in a different country.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Check your options out locally after you arrive. It seemed like SIM cards, plans, and pre paid minutes were to be found on every corner, everywhere.
Mar 11, 2009
189 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks.
I think it will be cheaper if I plan ahead. If I can found the prepaid minutes/data Sim card every corner locally , then i am okay.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
The are on every corner, every 7-11, even at the airport when you land.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2722 posts
1754 upvotes
Toronto
In Hong Kong there was free wi-fi everywhere, so we didn't bother to pick up a sim. Just keep in mind, as with everything else offered at the airports, it will be a more expensive. You can always pick up sims at the convenience stores for much cheaper.

In Thailand, we picked a free sim card (TrueMove H) to use. It had a set amount to start you off with and you can always top up at any 7-11. There is a kiosk at the airport and they will ask if you require a nano, micro or regular sim.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
I just got back from SE Asia and I got sim cards are all the airports I went to.

In the Manila, Philippines I got a "Global" sim at the airport. It was 1000 pesos (about $25 cdn) for about a month of unlimited data.
In Bangkok, Bangkok I got a "Dtac" sim at the airport. It was 299 baht (about $10 cdn) for a week of unlimited data.
In Hanoi, Vietnam I got a "Mobiphone" sim at the airport. It was 250K dong (about $13 cdn) for a week of unlimited data.

All prices included the sim card and all places installed the sim and configured it for you. I think if you get it from the city and not the airport, you can get a better deal in some cases because at the airport they know you are tourist.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Sep 2, 2010
380 posts
139 upvotes
Alberta
For Hong Kong, I got this in October.http://goingawesomeplaces.com/best-prep ... -one2free/

I bought the $88hkd (~$13cad)one and got 7 days unlimited data if you follow the instructions listed. I only use it to make less than 5 min local calls. Was able to tether to use it with my iPad without any issues.

You can pick one up at the 7-11 at the airport. WiFi was choppy so I rely on my data plan everywhere I go. Not bad for $13.