Simpass- unlimited data for $70USD

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2017 12:23 am
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes

Simpass- unlimited data for $70USD

Has anyone seen their ads on FB/Instagram?

They're offering a data plan for "travellers" which is equal to $70US for unlimited data (requires unlocked phone). Curious if anyone's tried it out. I'm extremely tempted to unlock my Telus iPhone and knock down my data plan with them and buy these SIM cards when I need data (no home internet, only have wifi at the office)
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4180 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
coangr wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:35 pm

They're offering a data plan for "travellers" which is equal to $70US for unlimited data (requires unlocked phone). Curious if anyone's tried it out. I'm extremely tempted to unlock my Telus iPhone and knock down my data plan with them and buy these SIM cards when I need data (no home internet, only have wifi at the office)
I want to mention that some carriers do label their plan as unlimited data in that after x Gb a month, it will be throttled to dial up speed. Technically that is unlimited by definition
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
coangr wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:35 pm

It does look interesting:
Unlimited, Un-throttled 4G LTE data in the U.S, Mexico and Canada
10GB Mobile Hotspot @ 4G LTE. Unlimited @ 3G Speed
It's a TMo MVNO. So probably OK as long as TMo doesn't kick you off the network.
Oct 19, 2011
382 posts
89 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:15 pm
It does look interesting:

It's a TMo MVNO. So probably OK as long as TMo doesn't kick you off the network.
That sounds amazing if 3g speeds are at least 256kbytes/sec.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
Both AT&T and T-Mobile offer 'unlimited' prepaid plans for around $65/$75 per month.

Unlimited means about 23GB before speed gets throttled. They roam in Mexico and Canada at 4G/LTE speeds. I regularly get speeds of over 100Mbps at Pearson airport.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 6:37 pm
Both AT&T and T-Mobile offer 'unlimited' prepaid plans for around $65/$75 per month.

Unlimited means about 23GB before speed gets throttled. They roam in Mexico and Canada at 4G/LTE speeds. I regularly get speeds of over 100Mbps at Pearson airport.
But the throttle. Simpass claim no throttle.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
coangr wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 6:46 pm
But the throttle. Simpass claim no throttle.
You may or may not get throttled on AT&T and TMo. There was a person bragging on HoFo about using 100GB of data per month on T-Mobile (domestically) and hadn't been throttled or shut down. However, if you do that much data while roaming, I'm sure they will take notice.

I've been on T-Mobile for about two years. I'm always back and forth between Can and the US and they have never let me know that I'm using too much data or roaming too much. I'm a fairly light user of data (5GB most months) but I have gotten to about 15GB some months but not much higher. I think if I did over 20GB and did it regularly, they might take notice.

Edit. I checked it out. Simpass seems to top out at 90 days for $225. Good for short-term use. But you could also get the same deal with AT&T/TMo.
Last edited by batcave on Aug 24th, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2009
1823 posts
489 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Deal is cold compared to Nettalk wireless (unless Simpass ships to Canada).
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 11:23 pm
Deal is cold compared to Nettalk wireless (unless Simpass ships to Canada).
They do, but where is the pricing for Nettalk?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
elwebmaster wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:00 am
+1 what is Nettalk and what is the cost?
May 8, 2009
1823 posts
489 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 4:31 am
+1 what is Nettalk and what is the cost?
$135 USD for 90 days, includes a Nuu dual sim phone, then $40 USD thereafter.

Link for Nettalk Wireless deal.

elwebmaster wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:00 am
Since they ship to Canada, it's a sweet deal.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:30 am
$135 USD for 90 days, includes a Nuu dual sim phone, then $40 USD thereafter.

Link for Nettalk Wireless deal.

Since they ship to Canada, it's a sweet deal.
Hot! People who care about US roaming have a way to get it even if it doesn't ship to Canada. Why is this not in Hot Deals?
May 8, 2009
1823 posts
489 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
elwebmaster wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:50 am
Hot! People who care about US roaming have a way to get it even if it doesn't ship to Canada. Why is this not in Hot Deals?
It's a great deal. But they don't ship to Canada. You have to connect a phone call for at least a minute within the USA. After that you're free to roam.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 9:14 am
It's a great deal. But they don't ship to Canada. You have to connect a phone call for at least a minute within the USA. After that you're free to roam.
Still, I think it should be in Hot Deals. People living in border towns can get it, sell the plan and the phone separate, profit.
Apr 18, 2008
926 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
I remember reading that some of these US providers expect a certain minimum percentage usage to be in the home country (US), and will eventually detect and cancel the account for the kind of usage people here are talking about.

e.g. T-mobile fine-print has "Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our network."
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused: