• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 3:12 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

simple wifi security setup

I live in an apartment so don't want anything elaborate or disruptive (e.g. if a maintenance dude accidentally opens my entrance and an alarm goes off, won't be good). So thinking of just getting something like a wifi camera w/ motion detection and perhaps wide angle or moving capability, plus maybe so window alarm sensors. Do you guys have anything like this set up at your home? Any suggestions for peace of mind? TIA.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Researching more on this topic, does it make sense to have a wifi/cloud storage capable camera? I assume that means it automatically uploads all recording footage into the cloud instantaneously? Do you guys have any free cloud sites to recommend or you just use a memory card? I would assume that cloud is the best/safest/most efficient way?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
For simple, not serious use, get a Wyze Cam.
https://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-v2/

Can record to an SD card.
Can view remotely.
No port forwarding.

The cameras are rediculously cheap, so there is some idea that the video data may be going 'somewhere else' for mining, but if you are all fine with that, go nuts.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Tx, I'll check that out.

I've found these online, I think a *must* feature for me is that it has to be instantly uploaded into the *cloud* when recording starts, so if a thief comes it and steals the cam, at least the footage is still retrievable. What do you guys think of these? Is 1080p a must? I think night-vision is a must also.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ebitcam-Monitorin ... 1192170011
https://www.amazon.ca/YI-Wireless-Secur ... 36%3A-5000
https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Security ... 1192170011
https://www.amazon.ca/Ebitcam-Monitorin ... 1192170011
https://www.amazon.ca/Vimtag-Wireless-D ... 1192170011
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5630 upvotes
Dude, what are so you worried about?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Toukolou wrote: Dude, what are so you worried about?
Nothing, and doesn't everyone have a security sys? Just preventative measures.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5630 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Nothing, and doesn't everyone have a security sys? Just preventative measures.
No, I would say the vast majority of people don't have security systems.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Toukolou wrote: No, I would say the vast majority of people don't have security systems.
Sure, I suppose, but on rfd many do and anyway ppl should for the reasons I've stated.

Post if you have something productive to add to this thread.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12012 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tranquility922 wrote: (e.g. if a maintenance dude accidentally opens my entrance and an alarm goes off, won't be good).
Why would this be bad?

If maintenance dude is coming, you should be informed. No one should be entering your apartment without your permission.

Are you planning on any home automation?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Gee wrote: Why would this be bad?

If maintenance dude is coming, you should be informed. No one should be entering your apartment without your permission.

Are you planning on any home automation?
I'm just being over-considerate, I suppose. Yes, they shouldn't come in unannounced.

I'm a noobie, not sure what you mean by 'home automation'. I think I'm just wanting to get the basics, i.e.:
-security cam w/ instant recording to the cloud (to prevent lost footage if thief steals the cam as well) (desired option: viewable on the web)
-some window/door sensor+motion detect alarms

That's about it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12012 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tranquility922 wrote: I'm just being over-considerate, I suppose. Yes, they shouldn't come in unannounced.

I'm a noobie, not sure what you mean by 'home automation'. I think I'm just wanting to get the basics, i.e.:
-security cam w/ instant recording to the cloud (to prevent lost footage if thief steals the cam as well) (desired option: viewable on the web)
-some window/door sensor+motion detect alarms

That's about it.
Get a monitored alarm system. Should cost you ~$500 for a small condo. Not sure if the windows need sensors, unless you're on the first three floors. Balcony, sure.

Cameras that record in the cloud are not practical or free. Get a single pinhole (nanny cam) and aim it at your door. You can find these hidden in clocks.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Gee wrote: Get a monitored alarm system. Should cost you ~$500 for a small condo. Not sure if the windows need sensors, unless you're on the first three floors. Balcony, sure.

Cameras that record in the cloud are not practical or free. Get a single pinhole (nanny cam) and aim it at your door. You can find these hidden in clocks.
I found some cameras that supposedly have free cloud storage. I don't need monitored service, only need to monitor myself, it's just a condo and everything's insured, so no biggie.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12012 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tranquility922 wrote: I found some cameras that supposedly have free cloud storage. I don't need monitored service, only need to monitor myself, it's just a condo and everything's insured, so no biggie.
You get what you pay for. No such thing as a free lunch. Someone has to pay for the bandwidth and storage.

The best part about condo living is that you have neighbours above you, below you, next to you and across from you.

The worse part about condo living is that you have neighbours above you, below you, next to you and across from you.

Hopefully they will help keep an eye on things and not be nosy neighbours.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
I have an old dlink (? or whatever name) camera with sensor that record on card and send you the email with pic and video - so no cloud/free ...
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 20th, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was removed
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
lubmar wrote: I have an old dlink (? or whatever name) camera with sensor that record on card and send you the email with pic and video - so no cloud/free ...
I'm not sure what ppl mean by cloud not being free if they state it is, ofc w purchase of the cam?

I guess the setup is just hook up cam to power supply and then wifi it to your router, which will automatically upload to the cloud?
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
the one that I have is recording to sd card and sending email with pics and video when motion detected (if you choose - there are a few options) ...
so no other service is needed then internet connection and email (like gmail or something) ...
you can connect it to internet with wifi or wire ...
and you can use the my-dlink app on your phone to check/see ...
I got it long time ego very cheep (refurbish + on sale + coupon) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)