• Mar 7th, 2016 6:44 am
Tags:
None
Dec 1, 2012
354 posts
75 upvotes
Edmonton

simpletax / studiotax not maching

Hi I'm using both simpletax and studiotax to doublecheck my work and ensure I get maximum refund. However for some reason the federal tax and provincial tax doesn't match.
I've double checked every slip I've entered, I have T4, T4A, T4E and RRSP information entered. Everything in the T1 until page 3 matches, then when the taxes are calculated on page 4, they both calculate differently resulting in different refund amounts.

Please assist.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
mlallany wrote: Hi I'm using both simpletax and studiotax to doublecheck my work and ensure I get maximum refund. However for some reason the federal tax and provincial tax doesn't match.
I've double checked every slip I've entered, I have T4, T4A, T4E and RRSP information entered. Everything in the T1 until page 3 matches, then when the taxes are calculated on page 4, they both calculate differently resulting in different refund amounts.

Please assist.
And what exactly is different?
Dec 1, 2012
354 posts
75 upvotes
Edmonton
Kasakato wrote: And what exactly is different?
Line 420 - net federal tax
Line 428 - provincial tax
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
mlallany wrote: Line 420 - net federal tax
Line 428 - provincial tax
You're going to have to dive a little deeper than look at a net line.
Dec 1, 2012
354 posts
75 upvotes
Edmonton
Kasakato wrote: You're going to have to dive a little deeper than look at a net line.
I'm not much of an accounting guy, and I'm doing my taxes for the first time, so if you can help me find it, will really appreciate :)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
mlallany wrote: I'm not much of an accounting guy, and I'm doing my taxes for the first time, so if you can help me find it, will really appreciate :)
Start comparing schedule 1.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
U got the right tax yr software ?
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
The same thing happened to be between UFile (ImpôtExpert) and StudioTax and I solved it myself by comparing each line one by one, starting with line 101. Once I found a discrepancy between the two software packages and the same line. In my case, it was the EI and PPAP lines, which meant I had forgotten to enter those figures from my T4 and RL-1 slips. It was my fault; nothing to do with StudioTax itself.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kasakato wrote: Start comparing schedule 1.
Also the AB428 for provincial tax issues.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
1264 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
mlallany wrote: I'm not much of an accounting guy, and I'm doing my taxes for the first time, so if you can help me find it, will really appreciate :)
Are you a first time tax filer or is it that this is the first time you are doing your taxes by yourself?

If you have never filed taxes before, I think you need to do a paper return. Not sure if that rule is still there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
emale wrote: Are you a first time tax filer or is it that this is the first time you are doing your taxes by yourself?

If you have never filed taxes before, I think you need to do a paper return. Not sure if that rule is still there.
You can use the software, generate a pdf print out then mail it to CRA instead of electronic filing.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
emale wrote: Are you a first time tax filer or is it that this is the first time you are doing your taxes by yourself?

Efile is now allowed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)