Simplii (ex PCF) ... 3% new deposits promo: Nov 1, 2017 - February 28, 2018

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 10:51 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
andrew4321 wrote: Was anyone able to create a link for their EQ Bank account with Simplii? Simplii would require a printed cheque which EQ Bank does not provide although they would allow to generate one on the website.
Try EQ's generated void cheque from your EQ online banking and report back.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
minimalist wrote: Try EQ's generated void cheque from your EQ online banking and report back.
Already did. Simplii wouldn'd accept EQ's app generated cheque. They want a "printed cheque" or "stamped PAD form" form EQ. Even after escalation, EQ Bank would not provide one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
andrew4321 wrote: Already did. Simplii wouldn'd accept EQ's app generated cheque. They want a "printed cheque" or "stamped PAD form" form EQ. Even after escalation, EQ Bank would not provide one.
Thanks. That's too bad. EQ's void cheque should be enough. So I guess no way to link on Simplii's side. What a pain.

So no "double interest weekends" by pulling with Simplii from EQ....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
angel_wing0 wrote: They also accept a "customized account confirmation form" now...whatever that is.
Ya, but it sounds like Andrew is saying upthread that EQ is refusing to provide that.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
angel_wing0 wrote: They also accept a "customized account confirmation form" now...whatever that is.
See upthread.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
minimalist wrote: Ya, but it sounds like Andrew is saying upthread that EQ is refusing to provide that.
What he actually said is, "Simplii wouldn'd accept EQ's app generated cheque. They want a "printed cheque" or "stamped PAD form" form EQ."

A "customized account confirmation form" is similar to a PAD form. EQ's generated form needs to be stamped (which is also signed or initialed by EQ Bank), presumably to insure its validity. Since they only have one branch (in downtown Tronno) that's impractical for most people. One could also suppose that they add the stamp/signed part intentionally to make it very difficult to link to their main HISA competitors like TING and of course EQB because they lack extensive branch networks. That in turn makes it a bit harder to move large amounts of money out in order to play the quarterly promo rate lottery.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: What he actually said is, "Simplii wouldn'd accept EQ's app generated cheque. They want a "printed cheque" or "stamped PAD form" form EQ."

A "customized account confirmation form" is similar to a PAD form. EQ's generated form needs to be stamped (which is also signed or initialed by EQ Bank), presumably to insure its validity. Since they only have one branch (in downtown Tronno) that's impractical for most people. One could also suppose that they add the stamp/signed part intentionally to make it very difficult to link to their main HISA competitors like TING and of course EQB because they lack extensive branch networks. That in turn makes it a bit harder to move large amounts of money out in order to play the quarterly promo rate lottery.
I actually used "customized account confirmation form" wording with EQ CSR and the answer was no, printed web cheques is the only thing they provide. I offer to pay for service / postage or to pick up the paper from St. Clair office as well.

I really need to have this done and I am looking for creative ideas. Appreciate any suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
andrew4321 wrote: I actually used "customized account confirmation form" wording with EQ CSR and the answer was no, printed web cheques is the only thing they provide. I offer to pay for service / postage or to pick up the paper from St. Clair office as well.

I really need to have this done and I am looking for creative ideas. Appreciate any suggestions.
If you can't link on Simplii's end why don't you just create the link yourself on your EQ online banking? (Or is that functionality still down?)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
minimalist wrote: If you can't link on Simplii's end why don't you just create the link yourself on your EQ online banking? (Or is that functionality still down?)
Linking from EQ was re-established on Nov 8 and I believe it is still working. The thing is that is always better to be able to pull your money out, even when the holding bank becomes un-operational.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
andrew4321 wrote: Linking from EQ was re-established on Nov 8 and I believe it is still working. The thing is that is always better to be able to pull your money out, even when the holding bank becomes un-operational.
Yes, pulling gives you "double interest weekends". Hope you find a solution. Would love to hear if you do as I'd like to link Simplii and EQ too.
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
9 upvotes
So I got an email from Simplii today, asking me to send a Signature card via secure email and to do the Canada Post verification thing.

The Canada Post verification thing I understand.

The Signature card sending back to them via email is a bit confusing.

Do I just physically print the Signature card on my home printer and then physically sign it and send it back to them via email after scanning it with my scanner ?

Or is there an online portal/log in where I just digitally sign the signature card or Type in my name or something and upload the document and that's considered to be my signature.

I remember some other bank where I opened a trading account, they sent me a signature form, but I just had to type my name online via keyboard and with my mouse just initial the document, so basically a digital signature and that was it. No physical handwritten signature was required.
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
9 upvotes
k2200 wrote: logon to your Simplii account.
On your Account Summary page. Click Transfers (on the left side)
Under Transfers, click Add Accounts

"Your other financial institution's bank, transit and account numbers can be found on the bottom of your cheques. Be sure to include all the digits in your account number, as the number of digits may vary depending on your financial institution. If you do not have pre-printed cheques, ask your financial institution for this information and get a customized account confirmation form. (Detailed instructions will follow on the Add Account confirmation page.)

Conditions for adding an account:
You must send in a void cheque or a customized account confirmation form to complete this request. The address will follow.
The cheque or customized account confirmation form must have your name preprinted on it.
The name on your account with the other financial institution must match your name on your Simplii Financial accounts.
Only personal accounts will be accepted. Business accounts cannot be added.
Accounts which require multiple signatures to transfer cannot be added.
Accounts must be with a Canadian financial institution and funded in Canadian dollars."
Thanks. Will link my Tangerine account from the Simplii side this way.

-----------------------------------------------

To link from the Tangerine side :

4seasonscentre wrote: ↑Awful. I am trying to link to an external account.
The small deposits have been made but I can't find where to actually type them in!

Can't use online chat because they are too busy. Being put on hold on the phone.

4seasonscentre wrote: ↑ I actually did get another e-mail saying I could now do the confirmation and was able to do the confirmation online.

nmclean wrote: ↑ They disable the button that would allow you to confirm the deposits, and only enable it after they send the email. It's a strange procedure, because they have no way of knowing when the deposits will appear for you. They just wait the max length of time... which means you could be waiting up to a full day or two longer than necessary for no reason.

It's always been this way though. You have to give them credit for actually updating the instructions in the email to apply to the new site. Seems they missed that in some of their other messages
JustBob wrote: ↑Thanks djino, but I meant how/where do you create the actual link. But you pointed me in the right direction anyway. I clicked on my name, then saw "Forms", then "Direct deposit form". I assume that's it.

djino wrote: ↑ No I don't believe that's it.

You should go back to the "Profile & Settings" section -> "External Accounts". Assuming you do not already have 3 accounts shown, there should be an option to add an external account, do you not see this?

djino

djino wrote: ↑

Once you are logged into your Tangerine Online Banking, at the very top right, click on your name to bring down the drop down menu and select "Profile & Settings". Select "External Accounts" Menu -> You should then be able to confirm the account you recently added.

If you do not see a confirm button, its because you likely just received the deposits in your Simplii account. You usually need to wait a day after the deposits to be able to confirm them with Tangerine.

djino
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
9 upvotes
This is what you have to do after you get the secure email to activate your account :

Hi XXXXX,

Before we can complete your account open, there are a few steps that need to be completed.

In accordance with your earlier consent to obtain documents electronically, the attached letter and signature card form have been sent to the provided email address.

Signature Card
Please sign the attached Signature Card
Send it back to us by selecting the 'Reply' button above and use the 'Attach' option to attach your signed Signature Card

Identification
Identify yourself by visiting a Canada Post outlet
Print, write down, or display on your mobile device the Canada Post Barcode in the attached letter

Go to a Canada Post outlet to present one of the following valid government issued photo identification:

Canadian Provincial Driver’s Licence

OR proof of residence (i.e. utility bill, insurance statement, etc.) with your name and address AND one of the following:
Canadian Passport
Certificate of Indian Status Card
Canada Permanent Resident Card
Canadian Forces ID
Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
To locate your nearest Canada Post outlet, visit canadapost.ca

Activate your bank cardYour bank card will arrive by mail 2-5 business days after your application was submitted. Once you receive it, please call 1-888-723-8881 to activate your card.

If you have any questions please call 1-888-723-8881, and a Personal Banking Representative will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

The Simplii Financial Team
Jul 22, 2015
797 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
wethenorthca wrote: This is what you have to do after you get the secure email to activate your account :

Hi XXXXX,

Before we can complete your account open, there are a few steps that need to be completed.

In accordance with your earlier consent to obtain documents electronically, the attached letter and signature card form have been sent to the provided email address.

Signature Card
Please sign the attached Signature Card
Send it back to us by selecting the 'Reply' button above and use the 'Attach' option to attach your signed Signature Card

Identification
Identify yourself by visiting a Canada Post outlet
Print, write down, or display on your mobile device the Canada Post Barcode in the attached letter

Go to a Canada Post outlet to present one of the following valid government issued photo identification:

Canadian Provincial Driver’s Licence

OR proof of residence (i.e. utility bill, insurance statement, etc.) with your name and address AND one of the following:
Canadian Passport
Certificate of Indian Status Card
Canada Permanent Resident Card
Canadian Forces ID
Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
To locate your nearest Canada Post outlet, visit canadapost.ca

Activate your bank cardYour bank card will arrive by mail 2-5 business days after your application was submitted. Once you receive it, please call 1-888-723-8881 to activate your card.

If you have any questions please call 1-888-723-8881, and a Personal Banking Representative will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

The Simplii Financial Team
Or you can (1) mail the signature card and (2) mail a cheque written to yourself from another bank.
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
36 posts
14 upvotes
Does Simplii send a Debit card & PIN for a HISA - Savings account ? I have NO chequing account with them . I am confused as I thought Debit card & PIN is only for Chequing account & not HISA.

Yet the email I received from them says wait for a Debit card in your mail & activate it . Why would they send me a debit card for a Savings account, when I have no checking account with them.

Can I even use it at a CIBC ATM to directly withdraw from a Simplii Savings account ? Didn't know you could do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5293 upvotes
on the links!
chaicoffee wrote: Does Simplii send a Debit card & PIN for a HISA - Savings account ?
Yes, I received a card for my HISA...along with an introductory letter telling me to "Call to activate your enclosed bank card - it provides you with easy access to your account". Further down in the same welcome kit, it says "Note: High interest savings account is not eligible for withdrawals through bank machine or Interac".

I mentioned this to the CSR when I called to activate it, but she didn't get the irony. So now I have an active bank card and PIN that I cannot use for my HISA, which isn't active anyway since they don't have my signature card from Canada Post.

Welcome to Banking 101, class of 1975.
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
36 posts
14 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote: Yes, I received a card for my HISA...along with an introductory letter telling me to "Call to activate your enclosed bank card - it provides you with easy access to your account". Further down in the same welcome kit, it says "Note: High interest savings account is not eligible for withdrawals through bank machine or Interac".

I mentioned this to the CSR when I called to activate it, but she didn't get the irony. So now I have an active bank card and PIN that I cannot use for my HISA, which isn't active anyway since they don't have my signature card from Canada Post.

Welcome to Banking 101, class of 1975.
Wow - What a gong show !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)