• Aug 23rd, 2009 12:16 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 27, 2008
240 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough

Sin Card

I'm have a interview at this work place and it requires my sin card!! Is is possible to just give employer the sin number or I have to show them the card because i lost my card and hasn't come down yet!!
Share:
13 replies
Apr 30, 2009
367 posts
6 upvotes
If you have the number that's enough.

Don't worry they won't send you home because you don't have the card they just need your number for their records for taxes etc..
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1262 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I've never heard of any place asking to actually see your SIN card. But didn't you get some sort of a receipt when you applied for a replacement card? Just bring that in and explain that you haven't gotten the replacement yet. I can't see why they would have a problem with that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR NUMBER UNTIL YOU ARE HIRED
If you ever go to a place that teaches you about job interviews etc, they tell you to NEVER EVER give it, until you fill out your T1 / TD1 forms. The recruiter doesn't need it, unless they are also Payroll or management, which, in most large companies they are not.

6. When do you NOT need to provide your SIN?
You do not have to show your SIN card or give your SIN when you purchase or obtain most goods and services. You may be asked to show your SIN for the following purposes, but you are not legally required to provide it to:
* prove your identity (except for specific government programs)
* complete an employment application (before you get the job)
* complete an application to rent a property
* complete credit card applications
* cash a cheque
* apply for a video club membership
* complete some banking transactions (mortgages, lines of credit, loans)
* complete medical questionnaires
* rent a car
???? subscribe to long-distance or cellular telephone services
???? write a will
???? apply to universities and colleges.

For more information see The Social Insurance Number Code of Practice
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18487 posts
923 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 9:56 am
DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR NUMBER UNTIL YOU ARE HIRED
+1. never been asked for a SIn during an interview, and if I was I would never give it. All it would lead to is the employer doing a credit check on you!
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
Your name, your address, your SIN card...all they need is birth information and that there is prime grounds for identity theft.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2430 posts
40 upvotes
It's SIN (social insurance number) card! Not a 'Sin card'; it doesn't record all the naughty things you've done in your life!
Banned
Jul 30, 2009
158 posts
1 upvote
nuberific wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 3:45 pm
It's SIN (social insurance number) card! Not a 'Sin card'; it doesn't record all the naughty things you've done in your life!
Laugh Out Loud :D
Jun 7, 2005
236 posts
If you're applying at a bank or financial institution they require the card itself.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7023 posts
662 upvotes
GTA
You should not be providing your SIN for an interview (as others have said). However, if you are hired you should be asked to show the actual card. Although all employers do not follow this, all employers are supposed to ask to see the actual card (not just receive the number) and the employee must produce the actual card within 3 days of being hired:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/abou ... tect.shtml
Show Your Social Insurance Number Card To Your Employer

Employers must request and view the Social Insurance Number (SIN) card of all new employees as soon as they are hired, and the employee must show it within three days of starting employment. If you have a SIN beginning with a 9, you must also show your employer your Work Permit/Employment Authorization issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
45ED wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 11:58 am
Your name, your address, your SIN card...all they need is birth information and that there is prime grounds for identity theft.
Employer can't ask for your birth information in an interview, I've done corporate recruitment for years and that is a BIG No No.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
krozet wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2009 10:29 am
Employer can't ask for your birth information in an interview, I've done corporate recruitment for years and that is a BIG No No.
I know that much. ;) I am pointing out that with so much information given, all it takes is one more "thing" to really bring on the troubles, not that an employer (potential or actual) would ask for it. After giving an address, SIN card, and name, birth information would be the last piece of the identity theft puzzle.

All the television segments on the tv lead me to believe one could do damage with much less information. But the point is that with all four, one could feasibly do a lot.
Feb 23, 2008
639 posts
24 upvotes
c white wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 5:34 pm
If you're applying at a bank or financial institution they require the card itself.
no they don't and if they did, not until you are hired, not an interview. the banks and financial institutions do a background check on you where you may need to put SIN number on form for background check company to check things out but they don't need the physical card.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15662 posts
1209 upvotes
GTA West
nuberific wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 3:45 pm
He probably wrote "SIN" but the anti-shouting code in the forum software most likely changed it to "Sin".
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
× < >