Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Sinemia] Sinemia promo for 2 tickets from $9.99 mth, including premium showings (similar to MoviePass)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2018 11:25 pm
Aug 23, 2015
281 posts
158 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
silverele wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 10:59 pm
I agree with the "chore" analogy. I'm considering watching Crazy Rich Asians because I've run out of Disney and blockbuster movies to watch and I don't really want to see the Meg. lol Crazy Rich Asians isn't really in my genre of choice, but it's got great reviews so why not?
I'm finding it is opposite for me. I didn't used to go to the theatre much, but now that I have been, I'm really wanting to see more that my subscription gives me.
Aug 20, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
Can confirm there is the accelerated fee still being charged!
Mar 31, 2009
71 posts
37 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
AlliiMariie wrote:
Aug 20th, 2018 10:25 pm
What I was saying was when Sinemia first came to Canada, it offered month to month subscriptions as well as the annual subscriptions. Month to month was $1 more than each annual subscription. (What the prices were before this awesome summer sale lol) Then when Sinemia got a lot of press, they quickly scrapped the month to month subscriptions and only offered annual subscriptions.
Yep, and that (to me) implies they may be well-managed because they're trying to hit a specific growth target/rate.
Mar 31, 2009
71 posts
37 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
NetBOG wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 12:46 am
I'm finding it is opposite for me. I didn't used to go to the theatre much, but now that I have been, I'm really wanting to see more that my subscription gives me.
And that was my point earlier, is that it's ironic/counterproductive for Cineplex to denigrate or degrade Sinemia users by taking away Scene points, etc. Because basically the more movies you see, the more word-of-mouth buzz smaller films will get, and the greater concessions sales they'll receive. Movie theatre chains have always behaved in a siege mentality; that blockbuster movies are the only value offered and they must be hoarded and restricted. And yet they make very little money from them, according to leaks in negotiations for the Star Wars movies and various Disney properties over the last few years the theatres make less money per ticket the more popular the moves are, because the studios demand higher return per seat and more frequent screenings. The real money is in concessions, so why wouldn't they encourage *more bums in seats* so those bums eat overpriced popcorn?
Jul 27, 2010
483 posts
276 upvotes
Victoria, BC
davidlee3 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 9:58 am
Can confirm there is the accelerated fee still being charged!
How much were you charged? The "instant activation" fee seems to fluctuate between $5.99 to $9.99?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4700 posts
935 upvotes
Aurora
The last two movies I watched (August) I don't think I was prompted to check-in. Nor do I see a check-in option in the app.

Anybody else experience no check in prompt?
Last edited by DiceMan on Aug 21st, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 23, 2015
281 posts
158 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 4:06 pm
The last two movies I watched (August) I don't think I wad prompted to check-in. Nor do I see a check-in option in the app.

Anybody else experience no check in prompt?
They asked me to check in for the movie I went to last weekend. It seems to be working better now, in previous months it always errored out when I tried to check in.
Aug 20, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
When you first activate it its the first price

then if you wait it becomes the latter at $10
Mar 13, 2018
179 posts
74 upvotes
AmRando wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 11:03 am

And that was my point earlier, is that it's ironic/counterproductive for Cineplex to denigrate or degrade Sinemia users by taking away Scene points, etc. Because basically the more movies you see, the more word-of-mouth buzz smaller films will get, and the greater concessions sales they'll receive. Movie theatre chains have always behaved in a siege mentality; that blockbuster movies are the only value offered and they must be hoarded and restricted. And yet they make very little money from them, according to leaks in negotiations for the Star Wars movies and various Disney properties over the last few years the theatres make less money per ticket the more popular the moves are, because the studios demand higher return per seat and more frequent screenings. The real money is in concessions, so why wouldn't they encourage *more bums in seats* so those bums eat overpriced popcorn?
Ya trust me, we all agree with you. We all feel the same way. I stopped putting in my scene card because I'm scared they'll just choose to ban me one day lmao.
davidlee3 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 6:08 pm
When you first activate it its the first price

then if you wait it becomes the latter at $10
So $5.99 for instant
Wait later it's $9.99
Or wait 2 weeks and it's free? Lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9735 posts
1024 upvotes
do we get scene points for this promo tickets?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Aug 30, 2009
190 posts
62 upvotes
Say you use your 2 movies in the allotted month. Can you book a movie for next month in advance? And do you have to wait 30 days between 2 DBOX purchases?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2398 posts
680 upvotes
Scarborough
Weird, I signed up almost 2 weeks ago and I just noticed that at no time whatsoever did it ever ask me for my physical address. Now logging in there is blank fields under account information that allows me to fill in my address but how are they expecting to send me out a physical card if they never once required my address?

On the right hand column it says I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the Sinema cardless card but that still leaves begging the question if I even need a physical card to purchase anything?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
2407 posts
2211 upvotes
Nice to see the big players are still posting here.

I've been pretty busy and haven't made it out to the movies in the last three weeks... I'm going to have to pack in a few movies before month end.

Mission Impossible is topping the list, any other suggestions?
Aug 23, 2015
281 posts
158 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 7:24 pm

I've been pretty busy and haven't made it out to the movies in the last three weeks... I'm going to have to pack in a few movies before month end.

Go see BlacKKKlansman and at least you can say you've seen one movie nominated for a bunch of Oscars.
Mar 13, 2018
179 posts
74 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 9:33 am
do we get scene points for this promo tickets?
Pardon? If you're asking if we get Scene points when using Sinemia, the answer is no for the physical card users, and apparently everyone has gotten them when they use cardless. (Correct me if I am wrong!)
SameerAlam wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 11:05 am
Say you use your 2 movies in the allotted month. Can you book a movie for next month in advance? And do you have to wait 30 days between 2 DBOX purchases?
Let's say your month is September 1-30 and next month is October 1-31 (I know it's not actually like that) anyways, if you want to book a movie for October's month while in September, you must use a September ticket. It will count as a September ticket and then in October you will get this purchase +2 October tickets. Does that make sense? Lol
& to the premium question: Yes. DBox is a premium movie, so it is offered every 30 days. This is 30 days from it being WATCHED.. not purchased (as my explanation with tickets into the next month from above states)

I hope that helped!
OrangeBerry wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 3:44 pm
Weird, I signed up almost 2 weeks ago and I just noticed that at no time whatsoever did it ever ask me for my physical address. Now logging in there is blank fields under account information that allows me to fill in my address but how are they expecting to send me out a physical card if they never once required my address?

On the right hand column it says I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the Sinema cardless card but that still leaves begging the question if I even need a physical card to purchase anything?
I don't think they actually send out physical cards now? It's all cardless. You don't need the physical card if you have the virtual card activated. (It saves them money and is more convenient than using the physical card anyway!)
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 7:24 pm
Thanks, I try Winking Face but ahhhh I don't know. Might see that if it's still playing in Dbox, and probably Crazy Rich Asians in 2D haha!

EDIT: I saw Crazy Rich Asians today & I totally recommend it! Whether you're Asian or not haha Face Savouring Delicious Food
Last edited by AlliiMariie on Aug 23rd, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.