• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 1:20 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
713 posts
178 upvotes
Mars.

Singapore Airlines vs Air Canada.

Some of you know that I have spent my life on Air Canada. Watching this video just makes me so mad towards AC. I have recently flown SQ J, and I must say, this video about SQ is not an exaggeration.

Gosh I love SQ.
52 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4265 posts
882 upvotes
Alberta
Singapore Airlines is good but this probably only happens in first class or business class.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
713 posts
178 upvotes
Mars.
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:20 am
Singapore Airlines is good but this probably only happens in first class or business class.
Well this is a given. I'm comparing SQ J and AC J, and have been on both.
Nov 29, 2017
738 posts
491 upvotes
I’ve received either discount promo codes or 40k+ Aeroplan on board compensation each time I fly AC J, the level of service, food quality, cabin cleanliness and mediocre amenities in their international business class was unjustifiable! My company’s switch to EVA and Singapore Arline’s last year was long overdue!

Instead of the “honey camomile tea” I get the “oh you’re back on this flight again” greeting 🤦🏻‍♂️
Jan 30, 2013
490 posts
51 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
superangrypenguin wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:21 pm

Some of you know that I have spent my life on Air Canada. Watching this video just makes me so mad towards AC. I have recently flown SQ J, and I must say, this video about SQ is not an exaggeration.

Gosh I love SQ.
I flew J on their Singapore to KL route, not impressed
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1240 posts
332 upvotes
goldenball wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 9:25 am
I flew J on their Singapore to KL route, not impressed
That's a one hour flight. What exactly were you expecting?
Dec 10, 2011
76 posts
59 upvotes
AC is a joke compared to most of the other major airline companies (especially on domestic flights).
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
713 posts
178 upvotes
Mars.
molie2403 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:58 pm
AC is a joke compared to most of the other major airline companies (especially on domestic flights).
I did BR from TPE to HKG, which is about 1.5 hours in J of course (I only fly J/F), and I got a full hot meal, full drinks service, unlike that crap which is AC's rapidair between YYZ and YUL/YOW. What a fracking joke on AC.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3702 posts
323 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
superangrypenguin wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:01 pm
I did BR from TPE to HKG, which is about 1.5 hours in J of course (I only fly J/F), and I got a full hot meal, full drinks service, unlike that crap which is AC's rapidair between YYZ and YUL/YOW. What a fracking joke on AC.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Of course Asian carriers have a superior product. You probably were also not on a 319/20/21, or E90 on that 1.5 flight between TPE and HKG.

If you want someone to be at your every becking call/absolutely need your hot meal and alcohol on a 1 hour flight in the NA or European market you should be flying with corporate jet companies. AC and other large NA companies have no need to offer the same level of service as in Asia/Middle East. The standard hasn't been set here and probably will never be.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
713 posts
178 upvotes
Mars.
Typhoonz wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 4:10 pm
You're comparing apples to oranges. Of course Asian carriers have a superior product. You probably were also not on a 319/20/21, or E90 on that 1.5 flight between TPE and HKG.

If you want someone to be at your every becking call/absolutely need your hot meal and alcohol on a 1 hour flight in the NA or European market you should be flying with corporate companies. AC and other large NA companies have no need to offer the same level of service as in Asia/Middle East. The standard hasn't been set here and probably will never be.
You clearly don't understand how airlines staff flights. It doesn't matter if I'm on a 773 or a 319. Companies like AC are stupid enough to staff 1:50 on narrowbodies, which meant a degregation of service in the J cabin. But staffing aside, they've also decided to give J passengers a pathetic piece of sandwich.

Yes, it's perhaps not fair to compare the two, but I just did, and this is my thread, so I'm not sure what your point is coming here and telling me I shouldn't compare the two.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1060 posts
485 upvotes
Ottawa
I've flown a lot of SQ and AC in business class. (I've been a top-tier for about 12 years with AC, and was an expat in Singapore for 18 mos).

SQ does a brilliant job paying attention to details, and certainly makes you feel calm. And important. But there is a cost to it. I happened to live in the same building in Singapore as an SQ flight attendant, and I've seen her coming home, dropping the smile and letting the tiredness show in her face as she exited the taxi. When you fly with SQ often, you notice things like how the flight attendant is trained to squat down to be below your eye level when talking with you -- which is fine and dandy, but how many squats does she need to do during a long-haul flight! And is it really necessary?

The in-flight food (in business) is very good, that's for sure.

AC certainly doesn't go out of its way to provide Asian-style perfect service. But with the right expectations, in business class they're still quite good. Comfortable, very private pod; acceptable sustenance, etc. Friendly service if you're friendly back. While I'm not into camomile tea with honey as Mr Melwani is, I've had AC flight attendants clearly know without me asking which wine I want, and anticipate that on overnight flights to Europe I want the express meal, appetizer only, and then maximum sleep. I can honestly say that in about 1.5 million miles flown with them, I haven't had an egregiously bad experience.

I'll cheerfully fly whichever one gets me to my destination with the best schedule.
Jan 30, 2013
490 posts
51 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
13inches wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:10 am
That's a one hour flight. What exactly were you expecting?
a hot drink with the meal which was reluctantly given to me and then hurriedly taken back 1-2 min later.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7277 posts
1726 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting for some people to be comparing J class services in RFD. Probably more suited to flyertalk.

Most Asian carriers provide superior service to NA airlines. When I book international I'll try to book Asian airlines if possible. When using aeropeso, it goes without saying to avoid AC for their scamcharges.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
713 posts
178 upvotes
Mars.
houska wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 4:18 pm
I've flown a lot of SQ and AC in business class. (I've been a top-tier for about 12 years with AC, and was an expat in Singapore for 18 mos).

SQ does a brilliant job paying attention to details, and certainly makes you feel calm. And important. But there is a cost to it. I happened to live in the same building in Singapore as an SQ flight attendant, and I've seen her coming home, dropping the smile and letting the tiredness show in her face as she exited the taxi. When you fly with SQ often, you notice things like how the flight attendant is trained to squat down to be below your eye level when talking with you -- which is fine and dandy, but how many squats does she need to do during a long-haul flight! And is it really necessary?

The in-flight food (in business) is very good, that's for sure.

AC certainly doesn't go out of its way to provide Asian-style perfect service. But with the right expectations, in business class they're still quite good. Comfortable, very private pod; acceptable sustenance, etc. Friendly service if you're friendly back. While I'm not into camomile tea with honey as Mr Melwani is, I've had AC flight attendants clearly know without me asking which wine I want, and anticipate that on overnight flights to Europe I want the express meal, appetizer only, and then maximum sleep. I can honestly say that in about 1.5 million miles flown with them, I haven't had an egregiously bad experience.

I'll cheerfully fly whichever one gets me to my destination with the best schedule.
I largely agree with this. I flew with quite a few AC SDs where I was on a first name basis with them and they remembered my name without looking at the PIL. Hugged some of them too. (there are close to 7000 FAs...so do the math as far as how often I flew ;))I think to your point it's a cultural difference. Try going into a Sogo in Asia, versus The Bay here in Canada, and you'll see the drastic difference.

Here in N. America, service folks are typically viewed as the same 'level' as the customer, but in Asia, service folks are definitely more viewed as being "beneath" the customer. That said, there's no need to be rude to them, and I treat FAs on Asian carriers the same as on Air Canada. I do appreciate them not plonking meals down like on AC, or the surly gate agents we have in N. America. I much prefer Asian style hospitality.

I've had drinks with a few BR FAs over the last few years, and while I don't feel they were completely 'themselves', I did get a chance to talk to them about their jobs, the company they work for etc, and yes, I absolutely agree with you that it is exhausting for them to put on their act. The SDs on Air Canada that I've spoken to, once I gotten to know them too, also talk about the stressors of the jobs and such.

Anyways, long winded reply here - I do agree with you on your points but I much rather prefer Asian hospitality.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1395 posts
483 upvotes
New York City
Asian hospitality > *.

I haven’t had a chance to fly First or SQ, but Business was impeccable. One of the better lobster meals on-board.