Singapore Airlines vs Air Canada.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 1:20 pm
Dec 22, 2017
216 posts
84 upvotes
superangrypenguin wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:54 pm
You cannot remove "all Chinese carriers" in your comparison with "All Asian carriers". It's simply not fair. That's like saying "AC is the best N. American carrier, if you remove all US carriers for discussion sake". :rolleyes:

Can you name a better Asian carrier than BR? CX/SQ is on par.

BR lounges are almost certainly not worse in Asia. There are 4 alone in TPE, and the J pods are almost identical. Do you not know AC uses a BR lounge at TPE, as an example? If you want to compare a MLL to a BR lounge then clearly you need to visit more BR and more AC lounges. Equipment diff between AC and BR? Please. Equipment = 773s, unless you're a big fan of the 787, which simply don't have the capacity that the 773s offer.

If you prefer AC > BR, all the power to you, but 99% of the internet disagrees with you. I have flown more on AC than probably everyone on this thread put together, mileage wise, as I have also done on BR. Feel free to pick an airport, a route, and I'll dissect it to pieces.

Oh and what does this have anything to do with SQ and AC?!
So you're saying Chinese airlines are majority of airlines in Asia? Lol

All you manage to say is that BR is slightly better than AC ...I agree...but that also means they're much worse than other Asian airlines if they're just bit better than AC as per your point

So you also didn't manage to name a single worse asian airline in J than BR other than the china ones . You just said sq and CX are not that much better which is laughable

You talk lounges and in their tpe hub, BR lounges can't compare to SQ or or OZ or any other non chinese airline lounges in their own hub

You keep hanging yourself and couldn't even answer a simple question of providing one Asian airline worse than BR in j product

You just somehow bring it back to comparing to AC and agree the equipment of BR is lacking and how it's a bit better than AC and can compare favorably to the Chinese airlines but not other Asian airlines

But A+ for effort and poker face saying BR is comparable to CX or SQ let alone the Japanese airlines or even TG for j class
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
504 posts
118 upvotes
Mars.
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 5:20 pm
So you're saying Chinese airlines are majority of airlines in Asia? Lol

All you manage to say is that BR is slightly better than AC ...I agree...but that also means they're much worse than other Asian airlines if they're just bit better than AC as per your point

So you also didn't manage to name a single worse asian airline in J than BR other than the china ones . You just said sq and CX are not that much better which is laughable

You talk lounges and in their tpe hub, BR lounges can't compare to SQ or or OZ or any other non chinese airline lounges in their own hub

You keep hanging yourself and couldn't even answer a simple question of providing one Asian airline worse than BR in j product

You just somehow bring it back to comparing to AC and agree the equipment of BR is lacking and how it's a bit better than AC and can compare favorably to the Chinese airlines but not other Asian airlines

But A+ for effort and poker face saying BR is comparable to CX or SQ let alone the Japanese airlines or even TG for j class
Define Asia. Do you even know who owns the majority stake in a bunch of airlines? Here's a hint. Who do you think owns CX? You seriously lack knowledge there. If you want to exclude "Chinese" carriers, you might as well exclude CX given their #2 shareholder. Oh wait, did you want to exclude the Middle East too? Because then you'd be forced to omit CX as well given their #3 shareholder.

There's no point in talking about a single worse Asian airline in J other than the China ones, because the main competitor to BR in Asia are the Chinese airlines. Unlike you, I fly and don't spend my time pretending to be a frequent flier as I am one. OZ is a joke. Won't fly them. Don't want to end up smashed into a runway. Why don't we start with just safety, right? Because if people don't want to die, they tend to want to fly a safe airline? Starting there, BR has had 0 fatals in the history of their entire operation. And you want to even bring up OZ into this mess? Won't fly them - so no need to compare their J product. If you really want to just talk about crappier J products and experiences, let's start with China Airlines. Oh wait, before you start, no, they aren't "Chinese", but "Taiwanese". But then again, do you really even know Asia?

The SQ J lounge in SIN is laughable. I ended up going to the DNATA lounge for better showers as the SQ J lounge ones are grimy and dirty. at least the BR J lounge at TPE has 4 nice showers, and a great selection of food. The SQ *G lounge is a joke, and is not even worth talking about. The CX J lounge at HKG is better, for sure.

Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 11th, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Chillout
Sep 14, 2010
928 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
SQ and AC are worlds apart for sure, the level of hospitality on SQ is awesome, nice seats, decent legroom, best experience ever!
Mar 1, 2016
795 posts
251 upvotes
toronto
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:45 pm
Did you not read my post? Please re read again. After reading my second sentence...

Can you name a worse Asian carrier than BR for J class? I most certainly can't.

BR lounges are always the worse ones in Asia. Their j class pods and equipment are even worse than AC

Again they compare ok (disregarding equipment or pod comfort, the 787 j class are way better as well) with AC, but they're an Asian airline and their service, product and lounge are not competitive to other Asian carriers, even the downgraded cx product is still better

Worse Asian airlines than BE

Air India
Sri Lanka Air
Anything in Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam

Thai airways business lounge in Bangkok is a mess, the one they use in Colombo was not much better.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2419 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Apples and orange comparison.

different labour laws.
1% listing commission only. 50% Cash rebates!

Platinum award winner.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1191 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Flew AI on a relatively short flight from HKG to ICN on 788 in .J
Wasn’t that bad actually and was served a full breakfast. The only negatives were that they dimmed the windows 90% the whole time (was a day flight) and that strong smell of curry when the meals were served Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Celebrating 15+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1308 posts
437 upvotes
New York City
@superangrypenguin curious why you avoid Asiana? Is it mainly their safety track record?

I flew them a couple of times and it was a game-changer back then having a door, and a 30” screen. When I flew Cathay First their hard product was nowhere as near. Keep in mind this is 8-10 years ago and I haven’t been flying in First on either since.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
504 posts
118 upvotes
Mars.
McKinsey wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:36 pm
@superangrypenguin curious why you avoid Asiana? Is it mainly their safety track record?

I flew them a couple of times and it was a game-changer back then having a door, and a 30” screen. When I flew Cathay First their hard product was nowhere as near. Keep in mind this is 8-10 years ago and I haven’t been flying in First on either since.
Yes, safety record and their pilot training. Asiana pilots rarely hand fly airplanes, even during critical phases of flight. Air Canada is the other extreme end of this, with standard SOP for pilots during critical phases of flight to hand fly where possible. BR is somewhere in between. But yes, to answer your question, soft/hard product is lipstick on a pig. I won't fly an airline with a poor safety record, and I do follow PPRUNE pretty extensively.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
504 posts
118 upvotes
Mars.
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:56 am
Best business class airlines. EVA is in top 10. Japan AIrlines, Asiana and Qantas all below EVA. Korean Air is nowhere to be found.
http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... lines.html
Can add in Skytrax awards too. https://skytraxratings.com/airlines/eva-air-rating

(not that I take Skytrax awards seriously).
Feb 25, 2007
985 posts
427 upvotes
Ottawa
superangrypenguin wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:40 pm
OZ is a joke. Won't fly them. Don't want to end up smashed into a runway.[...]
The SQ J lounge in SIN is laughable. I ended up going to the DNATA lounge for better showers as the SQ J lounge ones are grimy and dirty..
Is OZ truly that bad? I was under the impression *all* of the major global long-haul airlines are safe *enough* and have never had trepidation about using any of them. (I was a bit more choosy who I took on intra-island hops in Indonesia...) I mean this as a genuine question, not a challenge.

And I do have to say I've found the SQ J lounge more than adequate. Decent amenities, good food, in a well-designed and efficient hub airport. Can't recall if I've showered there, though. I'd be fully happy if AC lounges in YYZ, YVR, and YUL looked like SQ J in Singapore.

For me, the best J class airline continues to be the one that let's me get where I want to go when I want to go with a minimum of time wastage through poor connections, with lie flat seats, decent food, and preferably in Star Alliance to help maintain status. Everything else is secondary.
superangrypenguin wrote:
I have flown more on AC than probably everyone on this thread put together, mileage wise[...]
Maybe, maybe not.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
504 posts
118 upvotes
Mars.
houska wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 6:29 pm
Is OZ truly that bad? I was under the impression *all* of the major global long-haul airlines are safe *enough* and have never had trepidation about using any of them. (I was a bit more choosy who I took on intra-island hops in Indonesia...) I mean this as a genuine question, not a challenge.
This is entirely subjective. If OZ's history here, http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/asiana.htm, is fine by you, then by all means, fly them.

Everyone has a limit. Some people will fly OZ, but stop at Hainan, and vice versa.

The SQ J lounge is nice, sure, and is miles ahead of the MLL zoos, and I do not ever set foot in any MLL, international or domestic in Canada. I didn't even bother set foot at the various "nice" MLLs such as at LHR, because I refuse to enter such poor quality lounges. SQ J was OK, save for the showers, which were dirty compared to the other PPL lounges at SIN. To each their own. I have a relatively high standard flying, mainly because it is my hobby and I have seen what is "truly nice" out there.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1118 posts
253 upvotes
superangrypenguin wrote:
I have flown more on AC than probably everyone on this thread put together
I have driven more in a Lada than probably everyone on this thread put together.
Mar 6, 2014
371 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I vote SG on having the best uniforms for their female FAs, it shows just enough of a woman's curves without being seedy. Their selection process of FAs are actually very strict: they are voted the 'World's Best Cabin Crew Service' by the Business Traveller Asia-Pacific Awards for 23 consecutive years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Girl

AC is not the worst airline in the world, but you can't compare AC with SG,.... or ANA or JAL or Emirates or Qantas or Etihad or Cathay or Korean Air.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
504 posts
118 upvotes
Mars.
Statistics101 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 8:27 am
I vote SG on having the best uniforms for their female FAs, it shows just enough of a woman's curves without being seedy. Their selection process of FAs are actually very strict: they are voted the 'World's Best Cabin Crew Service' by the Business Traveller Asia-Pacific Awards for 23 consecutive years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Girl

AC is not the worst airline in the world, but you can't compare AC with SG,.... or ANA or JAL or Emirates or Qantas or Etihad or Cathay or Korean Air.
I'm biased, but I adore BR's new uniforms! I'm not a fan of the SQ female uniforms, to be honest.