• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 1:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2618 posts
465 upvotes

SIP? VOIP? Looking to add a "phone number" to my mobile

I'm about to start a new job and will be working remote. Company will pay for my cell phone expense but I don't want to get a second phone, and don't want to use my personal number to give out either.

Anyone else in my shoes? Cost is not an issue, quality and reliability is important.

I could get a dual sim phone, but I really love my p20 pro that's only a month old...
20 replies
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2928 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
To go VoIP with personal number, there are several options. You did say cost is not an issue...
  1. Fongo. $25 porting fee. Couple bucks a month to text out. I'd recommend setting inbound calls to forward to the work cell number. Splurge on the extra $25 to remove ads in app. Won't call out to small towns or internationally (including US) without adding airtime
  2. VoIP.ms. entirely pay per use. Can text with it
  3. MagicApp or Nettalk. $5-10/month afaik, Canada/US calling, SMS as well. Probably a small porting fee (one time and annual). I'd avoid these guys given the annoyance of porting out if you want to switch your number back to a sim card
  4. Other options, probably no texting...PhonePower, Vonage, 2Talk. Only incentive to go with these options is for better rates on overseas calling, or if you happen to like them already
  5. Sugar Mobile. Unlimited talk/text via app. Optionally use their sim for Canada/US roaming data.

OP for your sake I hope your work phone is not with Bell, as using VoIP over LTE with Bell is against their ToS 🤣
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2618 posts
465 upvotes
Thanks so much!

Don't care about porting, just want to have a new phone number for work only. Would not care to keep the number should I move on from my job.

Small town calling is a must, most of my clients will be in small towns/rural Canada...
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:42 pm
To go VoIP with personal number, there are several options. You did say cost is not an issue...
  1. Fongo. $25 porting fee. Couple bucks a month to text out. I'd recommend setting inbound calls to forward to the work cell number. Splurge on the extra $25 to remove ads in app. Won't call out to small towns or internationally (including US) without adding airtime
  2. VoIP.ms. entirely pay per use. Can text with it
  3. MagicApp or Nettalk. $5-10/month afaik, Canada/US calling, SMS as well. Probably a small porting fee (one time and annual). I'd avoid these guys given the annoyance of porting out if you want to switch your number back to a sim card
  4. Other options, probably no texting...PhonePower, Vonage, 2Talk. Only incentive to go with these options is for better rates on overseas calling, or if you happen to like them already
  5. Sugar Mobile. Unlimited talk/text via app. Optionally use their sim for Canada/US roaming data.

OP for your sake I hope your work phone is not with Bell, as using VoIP over LTE with Bell is against their ToS 🤣
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2928 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
bhrm wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:52 pm
Thanks so much!

Don't care about porting, just want to have a new phone number for work only. Would not care to keep the number should I move on from my job.

Small town calling is a must, most of my clients will be in small towns/rural Canada...
Oh...you want to keep your personal number on cellular, but get a spare number for business calls? I thought it'd be the other way around. If that's the case, then the business number can be with pretty much any of the providers I mentioned (skip Fongo then for the small town dialling). I'm taking you won't need texting out of the work number...
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Oct 29, 2008
426 posts
133 upvotes
L4J
I'm using Zoiper apps on my cell as the second number.
Sep 27, 2003
9249 posts
2102 upvotes
Newmarket
St.Genis wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 10:52 am
I'm using Zoiper apps on my cell as the second number.
Just installed ZoiPer last night and am also testing with VOIP service.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2392 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
bhrm wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:19 pm
I'm about to start a new job and will be working remote. Company will pay for my cell phone expense but I don't want to get a second phone, and don't want to use my personal number to give out either.

Anyone else in my shoes? Cost is not an issue, quality and reliability is important.

I could get a dual sim phone, but I really love my p20 pro that's only a month old...
The P20 is not dual sim? Astonished Face Please tell me they did not make a single sim variant for North America!

Other options for a second line could include TextNow, Textmeup, Google Voice. Then expense your personal line.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bhrm wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:19 pm

You can get a local Textmeup # from Playstore and start texting and calling right away (you need wifi or data). It is free . No harm in trying as
Calls are free for Can /U S
It is around 3 cents a minute calling countries in E U or the Far East 
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2618 posts
465 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 2:06 pm
The P20 is not dual sim? Astonished Face Please tell me they did not make a single sim variant for North America!

Other options for a second line could include TextNow, Textmeup, Google Voice. Then expense your personal line.
NA Variant of all Huawei phones in Canada are single SIM. Not even SIM + microSD too...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2392 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
bhrm wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 5:01 pm
NA Variant of all Huawei phones in Canada are single SIM. Not even SIM + microSD too...
Wow that bites. I wonder if carriers prevent or pressure them from selling dual SIM models. Most phones sold outside of Canada and the US are dual SIM.
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2928 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
bhrm wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 5:01 pm
NA variant? I think it's "Canadian" variant as there is no such US variant of the device. Huawei is now out of luck for US market.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2392 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 10:17 pm
NA variant? I think it's "Canadian" variant as there is no such US variant of the device. Huawei is now out of luck for US market.
Ha ha I didn't even think of that. That must be the only thing that you cannot buy in the US - other than kinder eggs. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12643 posts
2204 upvotes
Markham
bhrm wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:52 pm
Thanks so much!

just install Fongo App and get a free local #
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
batcave wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 8:00 pm
Wow that bites. I wonder if carriers prevent or pressure them from selling dual SIM models. Most phones sold outside of Canada and the US are dual SIM.
Not just the carriers. iPhone have not even had one dual SIM phone model WORLDWIDE.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2392 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 5:48 am
Not just the carriers. iPhone have not even had one dual SIM phone model WORLDWIDE.
A dual SIM iPhone could be a reality later this year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)