Tags:
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta

Sisal Rope for Cats

Hi everyone,
I've been looking at buying some Sisal Rope to rewrap a scratching post. I am reading that some of them are 'treated' and could be bad for cats, but not finding too much info on it.
Are the ones are the hardware stores bad? The one at home depot says "natural and biodegradable". The ones on amazon and pet stores that say safe for pets are crazy expensive. Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Here is the link I was looking at:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.38-i ... 99685.html
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1654 posts
450 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
It's interesting what you've said here. I always presumed sisal was just sisal, but it seems it's not unusual to coat sisal with linseed (flax) oil. This is non-toxic and is apparently used to help soften the rope fibers. I have an interesting link from the U.S. Home Depot because there are reviews and also a Q&A area. Most comments, etc. would apply to any sisal I think. The idea of using this for a scratching post is discussed quite a bit. Based on what I'm reading, if it's coated, it smells *awful* and so if you buy it in a store and take a sniff prior to purchase, it should be obvious if it's coated or not. Also, I doubt a cat would like to use it if it smelled awful anyhow, even if it's non-toxic:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt- ... /203607368
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1545 posts
540 upvotes
Ontario
Reading the thread title, I thought your question would be about where to find Sisal rope. I had a heck of a time finding any period. But, the stuff I did find at Home Depot seemed to be odourless, and the cats don't mind scratching it.

I suppose for added safety you could always let the rope soak in a bucket of hot water.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
It is interesting that the "non treated, safe for pets" sisal rope is so crazy expensive. I read on there that it could be harmful to get non treated.
In the reviews for the Everbilt Sisal Rope, on homedepot.com, someone stated it would not be safe for pets. Someone also stated it smelled like gasoline. But some others said it was safe, lol
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /206094360
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
I also read this, about how the Sisal Rope from Lowe's is not safe for pets: http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads. ... umber=4663
"Lehigh's sisal, jute & manila products are treated with a certain percentage
of mineral oil & insecticides for export purposes."

So makes me wonder about the Home Depot ones. One a pet forum somewhere, I had read that the cheap ones are treated. It may be non toxic, but like "TheHans" mentioned, the cat may not want to use it.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
I’d just use any non treated rope. How much is this stuff is your cats actually ingesting for that to be a concern?
I’d use hemp rope. Easier to find, as just as durable as sisal.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1058 posts
66 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How you guys wipe it? Wood glue?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
Focus wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:44 pm
Do you mean wrap it?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10193 posts
1034 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:02 pm
I’d just use any non treated rope. How much is this stuff is your cats actually ingesting for that to be a concern?
I’d use hemp rope. Easier to find, as just as durable as sisal.
Yeah, I won't be too concerned about the sisal rope. Linseed/flaxseed oil is harmless to cats.

Also if ingestion of the rope is a concern then just get rid of the rope once your cat claw through it.

Think about it this way, What are those low quality cat trees (which are the vast majority of them) using? Treated or untreated sisal rope?

Focus wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:44 pm
Wipe it with glue?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1058 posts
66 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sorry yes, "wrap"
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
Focus wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:50 pm
sorry yes, "wrap"

Here is a link, although I would probably use a screw instead of a nail. I received a free used scratching post from someone, and I've been cleaning it and going to wrap all the frayed posts with rope. The nails they used are all coming out, so I think a screw might be better.
https://pets.thenest.com/replace-sisal- ... -4974.html
Last edited by teqtoke on Feb 14th, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:48 pm

Think about it this way, What are those low quality cat trees (which are the vast majority of them) using? Treated or untreated sisal rope?

That's a good point
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1058 posts
66 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nail/screw won't do in my case because I was planning to wrap one for the material supporting post in the basement for them to climb.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1545 posts
540 upvotes
Ontario
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:48 pm
....or in my case a brand new living room sofa, chair and loveseat treated with lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1654 posts
450 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Focus wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:34 pm
nail/screw won't do in my case because I was planning to wrap one for the material supporting post in the basement for them to climb.
My experience is this -- you wrap it *very* tightly on whatever post you have. There should be no spaces at all as you're wrapping it. The key (I think) is making the sisal damp prior to wrapping it -- not soaking wet, just damp. Use a spray bottle for instance. Once it's wrapped on the post and it dries, it will be somewhat tighter even. You won't need glue nor anything else to keep the sisal on the post. Good idea about the basement supporting post.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"