Careers

Situation Advice - Employment Lawyer

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2017 1:12 am
Jun 12, 2009
67 posts
5 upvotes

Situation Advice - Employment Lawyer

Just started a new job and am finding that this company is managed terribly, with no accountability when it comes to reimbursing employee expenses. Since it is a small operation, the job requires travelling to remote job sites, buying company supplies/equipment, and miscellaneous expenses that do not get reimbursed until months later...if you get it. The boss demands overtime work and asks you to "just expense it" with no time line of when this money will be paid back.

I am looking for advice and wondering how I can protect myself in this situation, especially since I just recently left a job. I don't want to be forced in a situation where I am owed more than I am paid. Please PM me if you have recommendations for employment lawyers. Does every lawyer charge by time?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote: Quit.
And find a new job.
+1

Run, don't walk, away from this gig.

As soon as a company starts having issues with paying back expenses personally incurred by employees, it's usually a matter of months, not years, before the company goes under.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
Octavius wrote:
As soon as a company starts having issues with paying back expenses personally incurred by employees, it's usually a matter of months, not years, before the company goes under.
Either that, or the boss/manager is just highly abusive, and will probably manifest such abuse in other ways in the future that go far beyond just ripping the employees off.

Too many 'small businesses' think they can get away with paying less, but subjecting employees to this sort of nonsense.