[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1033 posts
836 upvotes

SIU investigating after police dog bites genitals of suspected car thief

E45CD2A9-AF45-483C-A657-779915B4159D.jpeg
http://www.680news.com/2018/03/07/durha ... e-pursuit/

Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has been called in after a police dog bit the genitals of a suspected car thief, who was caught after a nine-kilometre chase.

Just before midnight on Tuesday, Durham police spotted a car in Oshawa that had allegedly been stolen in Toronto. When police tried to stop the vehicle, the driver took off.

Police chased the vehicle west on Highway 401 and it exited at Lakeridge Road.

Both suspects bailed from the car at the exit and tried to run away.

Officers caught one of the suspects on foot, while the other was tracked down by a police dog.

That suspect was injured when the dog bit him in the genital area.

A Durham police officer was also bitten by the dog and had minor injuries.

Police said charges are pending
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3449 posts
1140 upvotes
Mississauga
Pro tip: don’t run from the cops.

The dog biting the cop is a concern though. It’ll need more training.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6265 posts
1416 upvotes
One of the posters in the link wrote, "Poor dog." LOL
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21373 posts
2237 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 6:51 am

It will be put down, KILLED
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1873 posts
612 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
S. O. P. for all involved, the perps, the cops and the mutt. Nothing to get excited about.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1440 posts
739 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
mrweather wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 6:51 am

Not necessarily, however I am sure there will be a review of what happened. When I was posted in Innisfail, Alta. I got to know the staff and handlers quite well. The dogs do not discriminate, if one was to put their hands in front of the dog when they are on the attack then one can expect to be bit. In the field when working with a handler we are always told not to cross the dog's path, get in front of the handler and to not grab the suspect until the dog is called off and brought back to lead.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13023 posts
1604 upvotes
I can see a lawsuit by the victim for $3M x 2.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
1308 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 10:22 am
It will be put down, KILLED
Once the taste of genitals is experienced, there's no turning back?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4445 posts
604 upvotes
eldiablo wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 12:40 pm
I can see a lawsuit by the victim for $3M x 2.
maybe he got "lucky" with one ?
Jul 5, 2004
23286 posts
2853 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 12:34 pm
Not necessarily, however I am sure there will be a review of what happened. When I was posted in Innisfail, Alta. I got to know the staff and handlers quite well. The dogs do not discriminate, if one was to put their hands in front of the dog when they are on the attack then one can expect to be bit. In the field when working with a handler we are always told not to cross the dog's path, get in front of the handler and to not grab the suspect until the dog is called off and brought back to lead.
Exactly. My two dogs once got in a fight and I made the mistake of trying to grab their collars to break it up. I got a very nasty bite. It was unintentional, my dogs would never purposely bite me, but if you put any part of your body in front of a dog that is biting something/someone, you are asking to get bit.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8571 posts
321 upvotes
Just the fact that the cop was bitten by the dog just proves lack of training and have no business being a police dog.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Dec 25, 2014
162 posts
Toronto
There is one weird thing. According to above opinions the dog should attack extended parts of the body like arms or legs first.
That's part of instinct and also training .
Why something caused primary target change ?
Was it smell dog couldn't stand
or because dog's name is Nutcracker and he always does it ?

https://melmagazine.com/when-animals-at ... 0937a446ee
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1873 posts
612 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 2:41 pm
Just the fact that the cop was bitten by the dog just proves lack of training and have no business being a police dog.
Did you even read the post above by rcmpvet, or just bypass It?
You of all people....
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1440 posts
739 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Flinstone wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 3:40 pm
There is one weird thing. According to above opinions the dog should attack extended parts of the body like arms or legs first.
That's part of instinct and also training .
Why something caused primary target change ?
https://melmagazine.com/when-animals-at ... 0937a446ee
While I am not disputing you or the linked article a police service dog is trained to not just attack the subject but to take the person down, key word being "down", immobilize. They will attack any available appendage they can easily target. Yes, in most cases it should be the arms, however if the legs are the first target they will attack the legs as that would surely bring the person down. Now, if the person starts to kick the dog it will then also go on the defensive and start to move up the body avoiding the feet, guess what the next target could be.

Just one more thing here is if a weapon is seen by the dog or handler, they will definitely go for that part of the body with the weapon (hands or arm).
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"