Shopping Discussion

Size 15 CSA-Approved Work SHOES? (not boots)

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 9:32 am
[OP]
May 24, 2014
188 posts
89 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS

Size 15 CSA-Approved Work SHOES? (not boots)

It's that time again... to look for some work shoes for my husband because his current ones are falling off his feet. We live in Halifax, NS and it's such a pain in the arse to find him shoes out here!

So I need to find Size 15 CSA-Approved Work shoes for Mr. Bigfoot. I keep trying different brands, but not only are they expensive, but they also fall apart easily. Mark's sells a lot of CSA approved work boots, but not many shoes. His shoes need to have the steel toe AND the bottom shank (and also a removable insole to put in his orthotics... he has flat feet).

Any website suggestions? And that also have a good (ie, free) return shipping policy? That way he has the option of sending them back after trying them on and not liking them. Nothing beats going into a store, but unless the stores around here have changed or there are new stores, I don't think there's anything in Halifax. There are a couple that are willing to order in, but then they give us the whole, "You have to buy this after you order this," spiel. I don't want to be on the hook for that. I just want him to try them on and opt not to buy them if they don't fit right or are not comfortable.

[IMG]http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u52 ... 2f4c4d.jpg[/IMG]
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2515 posts
1520 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
It's no surprise that you have limited return options for special order shoes. It's not as if they can do anything with them after the sale, and (for example) what if they were perfect shoes but hubby simply decided he didn't need them anymore, perhaps because of a change in career?

Having said that, I would suggest Dayton Boots out of Vancouver. I'll be going with them in the very need future for a custom pair, and I know they do work boots.

Good luck.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3998 posts
6009 upvotes
Ontario
I have not dealt with this store-happened to come across the website on some online place that specializes in larger sizes. Ask and see if the safety shoes can be ordered and returned? Store is in Quebec.
http://piedsgeants.com/en/work-and-safety-boots/
2019-roll out the gold carpet! Wins to date: a t-shirt, 6 music playlists (but I'm not on Spotify yet).
[OP]
May 24, 2014
188 posts
89 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Okay, update on this thread. One store that is useless is safetyfoot.com. They don't have any size 15 shoes, and I had to email them just to find that out. There are no size filters on their website (I HATE that!).

I got a Paypal coupon notice thingy about a website called shoeme.ca. They seem to be half decent. One thing that's weird is that I can't navigate to the steel toe/CSA section of their website from their website. I had to do a Google search, and finally came upon this page: http://www.shoeme.ca/collections/mens-s ... oved-shoes

I think I read online that they import a lot of their shoes from the US. So that explains the lack of CSA approved stuff (very little). I couldn't find a single CSA-approved *shoe* in size 15. There were several steel toe, but no CSA approved (work requires it). Bummer.

marks.com lists a lot of stuff, but again, they don't have a size filter. I emailed them requesting it, explaining how huge of a pain in the butt it is to have to click on every single shoe I'm interested in, only to find that it doesn't run to size 15. I found these Timberland's, though: http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-mark ... ker--30400

I seriously want to cry every time I'm search for CSA-approved stuff for him. It's soooooooooooo expensive. His work only covers about $80 or so, once a year. I mean, that's certainly better than nothing, but it's still expensive for us, considering how fast he'll tear through a pair (he's 6'2" and almost 300 lbs).