None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto

Ski Bindings - Hard to self install?

I just won a pair of skis from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink], are the bindings hard to install yourself?

Or is it recommended I go to a pro?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8192 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Is it the same as snowboard bindings? You just put it on the board and screw it in.......
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5106 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
take it to the local shop then.... pay for a wax and ask them to put them on too...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3488 posts
1738 upvotes
Everywhere
If you have the type of bindings that are made for your particular model of ski then it should be fairly straightforward.

If they are BNIB bindings then installation instructions should come with it.

Otherwise, try googling your bindings for instructions.

You might also try this forum: http://forums.alpinezone.com, I know one guy works in a ski shop there. I think his handle is RossiSkier.

Good luck and let us know how it works out! :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8192 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
CSR wrote:That's the part I'm afraid of... btw my skis have riser plates.
It's really not that hard, shops probably use electronic screwdrivers but I just did it by hand. It should come with instructions too.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote:If you have the type of bindings that are made for your particular model of ski then it should be fairly straightforward.

If they are BNIB bindings then installation instructions should come with it.

Otherwise, try googling your bindings for instructions.

You might also try this forum: http://forums.alpinezone.com, I know one guy works in a ski shop there. I think his handle is RossiSkier.

Good luck and let us know how it works out! :)
They are BNIB, the bindings were specifically made for that model,.... thanks for your advice.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
MtX wrote:It's really not that hard, shops probably use electronic screwdrivers but I just did it by hand. It should come with instructions too.
So is it worth the $20-$25 to let a "pro" - kids who works at sportchek/spokes and slopes install my bindings?
Sep 25, 2005
20 posts
North Vancouver, BC
what bindings/skiis are they? if they are an easy to install binding system like the atomic device systems then i guess you can do it yourself, the problem is for some of them you require drilling, you dont want to drill to far into the ski or you will definately ruin it, also do you know how to calculate your own din setting? because that is also important, id recommend letting a someone at a service shop somewhere do it for you.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
SStewart wrote:what bindings/skiis are they? if they are an easy to install binding system like the atomic device systems then i guess you can do it yourself, the problem is for some of them you require drilling, you dont want to drill to far into the ski or you will definately ruin it, also do you know how to calculate your own din setting? because that is also important, id recommend letting a someone at a service shop somewhere do it for you.
Salomon Scream 8 with pilot risers paired with S810 Ti
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1
Sep 25, 2005
20 posts
North Vancouver, BC
i believe those are side mounting bindings so i guess the fear of drilling into the ski doesnt exist, however id still take it to a shop just to make sure everrything goes smoothly with your new skiis.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
I think sport chek charges about 20 for instalation.

not too sure as I've never had to pay.

Also, at the ski hill they have a ski repair shop usually- so you could go there too!

you need to know your weight and also your skiing lever so they can adjust the tension/tightness of the bindings.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3488 posts
1738 upvotes
Everywhere
Adjusting the DIN setting is easy with a large flathead screwdriver. You just need to know what setting to put it at.

On my skis, I have to crank it up way beyond what I'm supposed to have it at because I ski lots of trees and the skis would routinely come off just making a turn. The ski shops would always put it back to the recommended level and I would have to change it back.

The instructions with the bindings should have the recommended settings. However, here's a good site:

http://home.online.no/~stigbye/skiing/e ... ing-1.html