Skid into the Curb.... car feeling weird

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2008 8:56 pm
[OP]
Oct 2, 2004
494 posts
Markham

Skid into the Curb.... car feeling weird

Okay so with the little bit of snow.... I went a little too fast on a left and my car skidded hard into the curb pretty hard (there was the traffic post right in front... luckily the Corolla didn't jump the curb and go head on into that)... the front right tire hit the curb really hard and the car basically did a 180 to the left after it hit the curb.

Now when I turn the steering wheel it seems to be really "loose"... it feels like the wheels are just turning freely with no friction. Is this just due to the snow (first time driving in fresh snowfall so I don't really know)? Or is there some kind of alignment issue with the steering wheel? Also I noticed shortly after that the car didn't seem to be driving straight unless I had the steering wheel turned to the right slightly. After awhile it seemed to have corrected itself though.

Also the second problem is when I push the brake fully down. No matter how fast or slowly... it seems right when it hits the ground it starts to grind and the car "jitters" a bit. Again is this just due to the snow? Or did hitting the curb at around 10-15km/hr do something to the car?

Any help is really appreciate, thanks.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1863 posts
2 upvotes
Definitely get a mechanic to check your alignment, possibly axle issue ($_$). :cry:
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11204 posts
1422 upvotes
If you are lucky, may be it's just a bent rim. It doesn't take a very hard "curb kiss" to do major damage (like $1.5K+). I've heard of people bending tie rods, control arms, front spindles, and even engine cradles from what seems like a minor "curb kiss"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15426 posts
804 upvotes
Woodbridge
This happened to my boy and one of the issues he had was Ball Bearings, Steering Column.

So how fast were you going when it hit?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20356 posts
1720 upvotes
You probably bent the control arm. "Lucky" you don't have aluminum wheels because you'd probably have busted the wheel too. You still could have bent the steel wheel, but at least it's either repairable, or cheaply replaced.

If you're even more lucky then you didn't bend the control arm and only bent the tie rod or something but it is quite possible you bent the control arm, which will need to be replaced.

Needless to say you will now need a lot of things checked out--the control arm, the tie-rod ends, the swaybar endlink, the wheel bearing, the driveaxle, the knucke, the ball joint, the wheel itself... Well you get the picture, the complete front end on that side.

The damage could be anything--you could be replacing all those things above or just one or two of them. Could cost you anwhere between $100 and $1000... Definitely get into a garage ASAP though as somethings could only get worse. I.e. drive around with a bent control arm and go over a bump good enough and the bend may contact the CV boot, causing you to have to replace the driveaxle too. Not to mention the steering issues--on a hard turn left or right your tyre could contact the suspension or body of the vehicle which again may do only a little damage or might rip your tyre.
May 22, 2008
472 posts
1 upvote
Lower control arm,bushings tie rod, ball joins, engine cradle shifted, $3500,
Dec 5, 2007
622 posts
14 upvotes
Luckily you hit you front end into the curb. I also had the same accident but hit my rear wheel in the curb pretty hard and missed up my Axel pretty bad. it wobbles when i drive and shakes when i slam my brakes at high speeds
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20356 posts
1720 upvotes
cq358 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 8:31 pm
Lower control arm,bushings tie rod, ball joins, engine cradle shifted, $3500,
LOL I doubt he messed up the subframe--that would have to be a lot of impact force--but if he did, he's better off scrapping the vehicle and getting another one. But yeah unless a Corolla is made like a tin can (which despite me hating the Corolla I don't think it is) he shouldn't have done that much damage.
May 22, 2008
472 posts
1 upvote
I was joking, but i had seen people ran off the ditch in high speed and the lower subframe took most of the impact.. (the exterior of the car is not even a scratch)..but insurance declared it is a total loss. it is always expensive when the subframe hit the ground.

Actually , Imusion is lucky, his wheel/ball joint/lower control arm took most of the impact instead of the sub frame.

If his car is few years old, then usually body shop buy the whole strut knuckle bearing and lower control arm in one piece and do a R & R.

I would guess:

rim 100% got damage
tie rod 90% got damage,
Ball join 70% got damage
wheel bearing 60%..depends does he heard weird noise while he is turning
Strut 40 % got damage (depends on alignment)
Control arm 40 % got damage

70+100+60 +5.5 hr of labour.. around $ 850 investment
[OP]
Oct 2, 2004
494 posts
Markham
tamil wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 8:37 pm
Luckily you hit you front end into the curb. I also had the same accident but hit my rear wheel in the curb pretty hard and missed up my Axel pretty bad. it wobbles when i drive and shakes when i slam my brakes at high speeds
I seem to have the same braking issue... but I don't even have to really slam on the brakes and it feels kind of unstable and you can hear a grind when the car comes close to a halt.
crono06 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 8:43 pm
As for the brakes thing, maybe it's the ABS?
Well when I was skidding and slammed on the brakes it was no doubt the ABS kicking in. But the issue was after just regular braking. It seemed right before the car came to a complete stop and the brake pad was pushed down completely the car would feel wobbly and then it made a nasty but subtle grinding sound... :cry:

Dang... but lesson learned... it could've been much worse.. like hitting the street light post... or bouncing into the other oncoming left turn traffic... :|
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8017 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely some heavy damage as mentioned above. Hitting anything on a angle I believe also makes the impact/damage that much worse as the force is distributed in a uneven angle. If your steering feels loose like that, and it doesn't go straight, that will be big problems as often you will get one or the other, but not both.

Also why FWD cars are more expensive to fix and heavily damage in a minor accident like that then RWD
× < >