• Jan 24th, 2017 11:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5005 posts
695 upvotes

SKT Aircube T (SN-100T) review

This is my review of the SKT Aircube T, a PM2.5 measuring device with temperature and humidity readout as well.

The suggested retail of the cube is KRW 99,000, roughly C$112. It's available on G-market or SKT stores in South Korea. Lowest price is around KRW72,000, which is what I paid.

The good:
The industrial design of this unit is very stylish. 52mm cubed with a nice wavy design and silver top. The top has 2 rows of LCDs, 1 for dust and 1 for "discomfort" rating. It can display a rating from 1-5 for each rating. It can connect via BT to an app that can display a graph of the both the dust concentration and the discomfort rating, temperature, humidity or all 4. The battery life is supposed to be around 36 hours but I've had mine last up to 48 hours.

The top button seems to be connected to a 4 position switch, similar to a d-pad, however, there's only 1 function so it doesn't matter which direction you press.

The bad:
The dust measuring capability of the Sharp sensor is compromised due to the lack of a fan and generally poor calibration. My sensor always reads 40 +/- 10 ug/m3. It rarely deviates from this. The most common test to measure this is the bacon or cast iron pan seasoning test. Frying bacon or seasoning your cast iron pan creates huge amounts of fine, vaporized fat in the air. Any decent sensor will easily pick this up, however, the Aircube fails this test. Testing side by side with my WCLH monitor, the WCLH indicated over 400ug/m3 of fine particulates while the Aircube didn't notice any change.

The temperature sensor and humidity sensor is located internally, close to the battery. It's up to 4C less than what the WCLH unit and my LG fridge shows as room temperature. Humidity is within a few percentage points, so it's close enough. The temperature sensor is also prone to heating when the battery is being charged, up to 10C higher than ambient.

The Aircube automatically measures the dust concentration and temperature every 15 seconds while storing a data point every 10 minutes. While this is useful, the Aircube seems to retain a random number of data points, from as few as 1 to as many as 360. There's no rhyme or reason why it stores a specific or random dataset. The app does not automatically connect to your phone/tablet even if it is in BT range. When the app does work and the data points download, you can see a nice trend, if any. Due to the limited dust measurement range, this functionality usefulness is quite limited.

Conclusion:
This is a rather expensive toy. While the Sharp sensor can be accurate if calibrated and used properly, the Aircube focuses on industrial design and less on functionality. The only real usefulness is in the 5-segment LCD display. Since the real numbers are practically useless, only the general trend is useful.

Rating:
3/10. Do not buy.

Next units for review: WCLH, and Xiaomi PM2.5.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3574 posts
2226 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the review. I'm looking for a good AQ sensor so looking forward to more reviews.