• Oct 25th, 2014 12:58 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 16, 2002
471 posts
188 upvotes

Sleazy Best Buy and Future Shop price match policy

As it stands, the price matching (or price beating) policy at FS and BB allows them to disqualify a price match arbitrarily and the key paragraph is this:

Our Lowest Price Guarantee does not apply to advertising errors or misprints, Boxing Day prices, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, and financing offers.

I just tried to price match something and got refused with the reason that the sale is a limited time sale, ie cyber-Monday sale.

Well, hello! Every sale is a limited time sale, that is the definition of a sale. If you are excluding all time-limited sales, in effect there is no price matching guarantee for any sale that has an end date listed, which is every sale in case of weekly flyers.

Some on BB forums have suggested that several hour sales are excluded, but that is not stated in the policy. If that is indeed the intended policy, then the policy should say exactly that, eg sales lasting under 36 hours are excluded from price matching.

Other people think that what disqualifies cyber-Monday is the statement about Boxing day being excluded, extending it to that all holiday sales are excluded. Well cyber Monday is not a holiday in Canada, it's a regular day. In addition there is no such restriction listed in the policy that all holidays are excluded. If that is indeed the case, that should be stated clearly in the policy, and in that case at least people would know not to try to price match on Canada Day at Best Buy or Futureshop.

The way it stand, the policy of price matching can be applied completely arbitrarily and creates an illusion that there is a best price guarantee, when in fact there isn't. Everything is open to interpretation, which is exactly what is happening right here, people giving some arbitrary range of hours for sale to qualify, people extending the meaning of Boxing day sale in the policy to all holidays, etc, etc.

To me it doesn't matter if they want to deny certain sales from their price matching policy, but if that's the case then that should be clearly stated so that people are not under any illusions about price matching.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
I don't understand these pricing matching policy's. All you end up doing as a company is pissing off customers when they try to use it given all the loopholes. Why not avoid it in the first place and then you don't have pissed off customers that feel like they're being played on a bait n' switch? Or have it and actually offer it the way it's intended. I'm with you 100% op - just buy it online and avoid all together. No wonder the company is dying from being window shopped. Good riddance.
Jan 26, 2012
146 posts
35 upvotes
BRANTFORD
It's to protect themselves against horders in case one company decides to have a firesale on a product, like a one day only sale. In effect, it's to combat hardcore RFDers :)
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1622 posts
221 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I love when you try to price match something with a big difference and you are treated like a scammer.

I don't understand why the CSRs care so much when the policy is simple to understand and execute. Instead it takes 20mins for them to find the manager, deal with the customer the manager is with and then check the website of the competitor, call local competitor store before FINALLY just doing it.
Jan 27, 2007
221 posts
7 upvotes
no mans land
This also happened to me. I purchased a TV for 2500 10 days ago. Today its 2300 with the coupon. I called and they wouldn't make a price adjustment.

So if I returned it, and repurchased it, I'd save $100 (not 200 because 2 x $50 delivery fee).

If they don't give me $200. I'm returning the TV.
Dec 13, 2006
620 posts
31 upvotes
meh_33333 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 8:50 pm
This also happened to me. I purchased a TV for 2500 10 days ago. Today its 2300 with the coupon. I called and they wouldn't make a price adjustment.

So if I returned it, and repurchased it, I'd save $100 (not 200 because 2 x $50 delivery fee).

If they don't give me $200. I'm returning the TV.
They would rather have a tv returned and sell it at opened box price, than price adjust for ya. These retailers are so stupid eh.
-----------------------------------------
[OP]
Oct 16, 2002
471 posts
188 upvotes
I just thought I would post a response from a BB employee on refusing to price matching a limited-time offer (sale with an end date), just so nobody is left with an illusion that FS/BB is obligated to price match other retailers.
It's not a gimmick - it's all right there, and a limited time offer is exactly what it sounds like - any discount that's being offered for a limited time. While I think the company is pretty good about matching what we refer to as "regular" sales, they're certainly not obligated to, as per the wording of the policy. It's not at all ambiguous.

Another quote, your chances of getting something price matched depend on how reasonable it is to price match it:
We match the prices offered by competitors if follows all the guidelines, or if it's reasonable to do so.
The source is here:
http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Computers/ ... 770/page/2
Apr 18, 2011
59 posts
5 upvotes
Im so freaking angry at FS!!I was trying to return one of the harddrive i got pricematched for Black Friday . The barcode didnt match for some unknown reason, stupid b''''' at counter ask if i was crazy in a sarcastic way " are you ok?" after denying me my return.I was furious that they thought i was committing fraud. Only reason i was able to return the item was the manager asked if i can identify the associate who sold me the harddrive. Luckily he was still working the same pickup and online counter. Manager talked to him and everything was fine. All the headaches of returning the item by no fault of my own, was pretty much told i was SOL if i cant find the cashier and identify him. i was pissed, got lucky this time, but not everyone will be able to find the person who sold them the item. I know FS was just protecting themselves from fraud, but f u for thinking im crazy, for getting pissed off for not being able to return an item i brought at your store 3 days ago!!!!!manager even threaten to call security if i didnt lower my voice.
Feb 15, 2010
370 posts
187 upvotes
Surrey
icallyou604 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 11:31 pm
Im so freaking angry at FS!!I was trying to return one of the harddrive i got pricematched for Black Friday . The barcode didnt match for some unknown reason, stupid b''''' at counter ask if i was crazy in a sarcastic way " are you ok?" after denying me my return.I was furious that they thought i was committing fraud. Only reason i was able to return the item was the manager asked if i can identify the associate who sold me the harddrive. Luckily he was still working the same pickup and online counter. Manager talked to him and everything was fine. All the headaches of returning the item by no fault of my own, was pretty much told i was SOL if i cant find the cashier and identify him. i was pissed, got lucky this time, but not everyone will be able to find the person who sold them the item. I know FS was just protecting themselves from fraud, but f u for thinking im crazy, for getting pissed off for not being able to return an item i brought at your store 3 days ago!!!!!manager even threaten to call security if i didnt lower my voice.
Well it does sounds like you were being overly aggressive if they had to consider calling security...
As an ex-CSR from a different company I can tell you if you act like a jerk you're going to get treated like ***** and our level of caring drops down fast. Act calm and reasonable level of distraught and we'd try and figure it out. Don't get me wrong, it can be offensive to be considered to be committing fraud, but take it in stride.
On another note, how hard would it have been to grab a new harddrive off the shelf and compare it to yours? Or did they not have any in the store?
Apr 18, 2011
59 posts
5 upvotes
How would you feel if you had a receipt in hand,same credit card,with a brand new, unopened,sealed up harddrive brought 3 days ago, and they told you repeatedly, sorry you cant return it because the barcode didnt match? Im glad i didnt buy something like a $3000 tv, or else i would of be really pissed. It's not my fault the idiot at the internet pickup and order enter the WRONG code when he went to do a price match. Thats the first time i ever brought an item, and was told sorry thats not what the item i returned was for. Everything on the box and reciept matched except one barcode, the model, GB size, brand,type etc all matched, i would of been SOL if the guy didnt work there that night. I think the problem was it was an internet order, maybe different barcode then they had in store. I was more upset they didnt even consider it was an error on their side, and made it seem like im some kind of criminal.

Not sure, i didnt buy instore, did internet pickup.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4308 posts
515 upvotes
icallyou604 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 7:59 am
How would you feel if you had a receipt in hand,same credit card,with a brand new, unopened,sealed up harddrive brought 3 days ago, and they told you repeatedly, sorry you cant return it because the barcode didnt match? Im glad i didnt buy something like a $3000 tv, or else i would of be really pissed. It's not my fault the idiot at the internet pickup and order enter the WRONG code when he went to do a price match. Thats the first time i ever brought an item, and was told sorry thats not what the item i returned was for. Everything on the model matched except one barcode, the model, GB, brand, etc all matched, i would of been SOL if the guy didnt work there that night. I think the problem was it was an internet order, maybe different barcode then they had in store. I was more upset they didnt even consider it was an error on their side, and made it seem like im some kind of criminal.

Not sure, i didnt buy instore, did internet pickup.
your story is full of holes, its impossible for another product with a non matching sku to be sold at bb/fs. Even if a wrong product was returned and they typed in the product code wrong (which I highly doubt since they have to either type UPC/find the sku as its not on the item itself anywhere) or even if they typed in the code manually to do the return without scanning the item it would not make it through the audit process where it MUST be physically scanned.

@OP the policy is quite clear everyone on RFD knows it, its not sleazy. Its just part of the game. They do not price match special sales such as cyber monday/black friday/boxing day ( :facepalm: the amount of people who try to PM boxing day door crashers still amazes me sometimes) its a fact; but that doesnt mean you wont find a manager/csr who doesnt care and is willing to do it. So its YMMV but if you are playing by the real rules, then no PM does not apply to your situation.
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
Apr 18, 2011
59 posts
5 upvotes
lol, are you calling me a liar? i got the refund if you want to see the refund reciept. lol
thats why i was so shocked when i went to return, like wtf??? i still have one of two harddrive at home sealed up, also the reciept, i can scan if u want.

the manager had to write his name and info on my reciept it just in case i need to return the 2nd same harddrive in the future. they screwed up bigtime.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4308 posts
515 upvotes
icallyou604 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 8:34 am
lol, are you calling me a liar? i got the refund if you want to see the refund reciept. lol
thats why i was so shocked when i went to return, like wtf???
not calling you a liar without all the facts, but thats how the system works. They took back the item because you made a big stink entailing the need for "security", seems like the manager made a good call to just refund your item and take a hit. But hey stuff happens, at least you got your money back some managers can be total as*es and just turn you away. Someone must of messed up real bad for that item to make it through that far lol good to hear you were able to identify the dude they were probably hoping that the guy who sold you it wasnt working too too bad it didnt work out too well for them.
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
Apr 18, 2011
59 posts
5 upvotes
No, he didnt want to give me a refund , refused me 3 times. he only gave me a refund after i ask him so thats it? im sol? nothing i can do? he said if i can find the cashier that sold me the harddrive, he can look into it. Fs reciept has the associates # who scan you out on it. so i turn around toward the Internet and Online order hoping he was there, just my luck, he was standing there by himself. The store was pretty empty as it was almost closing so he didnt really care if i created a scene or not.

Well the system has a dam fing hole in it today after my experience.

Im surprised as you ,that something like this could happen in this time and age
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
4740 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
I've stopped buying things from FS and BB. I pricematch anything they have a sale on at WalMart. If Im going to spend my money at a big American corporation, i chose WM>BB/FS. This is what bothers me:

I went in to price match an item at FS (in Burlington). I showed them a BB flyer and the manager said "Im sorry, I cant PM that because we are the same company".
A week later I went in to FS buy something with a BB gift card because "they are the same company" and a CSR says "sorry we cant take that because we are different companies"

BS. I hate FS and BB.
Heatware
PEPSI IPOD MINI WINNER (JUNE 2005)
× < >