Sleazy Best Buy and Future Shop price match policy

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2014 12:58 am
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2007
44 posts
45 upvotes
It's funny. I had a price match made on lg 55 lm6400 a couple of weeks ago. This was a best buy, and the price difference was almost $400. My CSR manager was great. He quickly looked at the website and said alright without calling for stock or even checking for shipping cost. He asked me if there was a shipping charge and I said no, that was enough. His one funny comment was, " How the h#ll do you guys find these website?" lol I came out smiling. Thanks RFD :)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4332 posts
307 upvotes
Mississauga
Why do you guys even bother with these crappy stores? FS/BB don't want your business? Then stop insisting on giving it to them and then crying about it online.

Buy the product from the source or PM it at NCIX/ME, who are both very generous with price matching.

By buying from Futureshop and Best Buy, you are only allowing them to stay in business by offering products at insane prices and with shady policies.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1178 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
maebach wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 9:40 am
I've stopped buying things from FS and BB. I pricematch anything they have a sale on at WalMart. If Im going to spend my money at a big American corporation, i chose WM>BB/FS. This is what bothers me:

I went in to price match an item at FS (in Burlington). I showed them a BB flyer and the manager said "Im sorry, I cant PM that because we are the same company".
A week later I went in to FS buy something with a BB gift card because "they are the same company" and a CSR says "sorry we cant take that because we are different companies"

BS. I hate FS and BB.
I hate them too.. I see you Pricematch with WalMart. how is walmart ? easy to deal with? Which counter do you need to go to ? I hope not customer service.. that line is always long!
[OP]
Oct 16, 2002
463 posts
181 upvotes
cloakster wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 12:20 pm
Go read the policy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/what-i ... c1001.aspx

For those complaining about the wording of the limited time offer part of it, it should be obvious to all of you that it applies to those 1-3 day sales where the stores put the item on for an amazing price, but only have a limited amount in stock at that price.
It's not obvious to me that 1-3 day sales are somehow differentiated from 4 day sales or 7 day sales. There is no such text in the policy. If 3 day sales are excluded from the policy but not 4 day or longer sales then that should be clearly stated. If all time-limited sales are limited then that FS and BB should clearly state that also so that nobody comes in with the next weekly flyer from another store. Instead, FS and BB gets the benefit of customer feeling secure that they're getting the best price possible and they will get a refund if price drops, so the customer buys from them, when in fact FS and BB make no such guarantee! All you see is the text on the web site proclaiming "We will beat ANY price" and you have to read the conditions to find out that a non-permanent price reduction (limited-time offer) does not qualify for a PM. To me that's misleading the customer and is pretty serious.
Others here have mentioned that this 'game' should be obvious to anyone on RFD. So if we know that FS/BB is sleazy with their policy that makes it OK to mislead others? I don't agree with that.

The other criteria you mention here, "Amazing price" will not be price-matched. That just confirms how vague this price guarantee is.
I work at BB and hate all the exceptions our policy has, but it is all written on the website for anyone to see before the go into the store and PM.
I don't hate the policy, every retailer has a right to set conditions. What I dislike is that FS/BB pretends to price match sales, when in the conditions say that that's not the case. It's misleading. And from what I hear is that the only reason the weekly sales are accepted for price match is because that's done at the discretion of the FS/BB employees (as stated on BB forums).

Just so everyone is clear, the conditions of FS/BB PM guarantee do not apply to temporary price reductions! If you do get a PM for some sale elsewhere, that's because it was voluntary on part of FS/BB.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2319 posts
467 upvotes
Vaughan
methyl wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 5:26 pm
It's not obvious to me that 1-3 day sales are somehow differentiated from 4 day sales or 7 day sales. There is no such text in the policy. If 3 day sales are excluded from the policy but not 4 day or longer sales then that should be clearly stated. If all time-limited sales are limited then that FS and BB should clearly state that also so that nobody comes in with the next weekly flyer from another store. Instead, FS and BB gets the benefit of customer feeling secure that they're getting the best price possible and they will get a refund if price drops, so the customer buys from them, when in fact FS and BB make no such guarantee! All you see is the text on the web site proclaiming "We will beat ANY price" and you have to read the conditions to find out that a non-permanent price reduction (limited-time offer) does not qualify for a PM. To me that's misleading the customer and is pretty serious.
Others here have mentioned that this 'game' should be obvious to anyone on RFD. So if we know that FS/BB is sleazy with their policy that makes it OK to mislead others? I don't agree with that.

The other criteria you mention here, "Amazing price" will not be price-matched. That just confirms how vague this price guarantee is.

I don't hate the policy, every retailer has a right to set conditions. What I dislike is that FS/BB pretends to price match sales, when in the conditions say that that's not the case. It's misleading. And from what I hear is that the only reason the weekly sales are accepted for price match is because that's done at the discretion of the FS/BB employees (as stated on BB forums).

Just so everyone is clear, the conditions of FS/BB PM guarantee do not apply to temporary price reductions! If you do get a PM for some sale elsewhere, that's because it was voluntary on part of FS/BB.
For assuming it was obvious, I guess ive just gotten used to which sales are worth trying to PM and which ones are going to be sold out so quick that its not worth it. After being on RFD for so long it became obvious to me, thought it would be for you guys too, sorry for thinking that.

For my vague 'amazing price', as I was writing that, I was thinking of the NCIX deals that usually sell out within 12hrs. Probably should have been more specific.

For the rest, I completely agree :)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
4740 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
psxp wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 3:53 pm
I hate them too.. I see you Pricematch with WalMart. how is walmart ? easy to deal with? Which counter do you need to go to ? I hope not customer service.. that line is always long!
I've only pricematched electronics a couple times and in both instances, I spoke to the CSR in the electronics section who approved the PM. He then walked me to a regular cashier and told the cashier that the PM is valid and it rings through.

I do however PM groceries ALL THE TIME. If there's any brand name product on sale I will PM it at WM. So if No Frills has Kraft 500g peanut butter on for 50% off and Sobeys has 1kg Corn Flakes on for 80% off. I will find the product on the shelf (making sure its the same quantity) at WM, take both flyers to a regular cashier and give them the product along with the flyer. I've done this weekly for a couple years now. I have never had a problem. Its also important to be polite because sometimes I PM a lot of stuff.
Heatware
PEPSI IPOD MINI WINNER (JUNE 2005)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
oakjefferson wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 7:01 pm
I don't understand these pricing matching policy's. All you end up doing as a company is pissing off customers when they try to use it given all the loopholes. Why not avoid it in the first place and then you don't have pissed off customers that feel like they're being played on a bait n' switch? Or have it and actually offer it the way it's intended. I'm with you 100% op - just buy it online and avoid all together. No wonder the company is dying from being window shopped. Good riddance.
It's an advertising gimmick. Everyone is doing it these days.

The really slimy part is when retailers can order slightly different items than other places. Like lets say there is a 32" LG tv at walmart and futureshop. The specs are all identical except the one at walmart is $5 cheaper, but doesn't have a a third HDMI input or something. It's even easier with food items when you can just change the size slightly.

Stores also get around this by selling things under their own brand name. Canadian Tire started to sell FloTek pumps under their own store brand "Mastercraft" to avoid pricematching walmart & home depot. It's the same pump HD sells for $79.99 but it's $84.99 at CT. No price match since it's not an identical item!

The one thing that really makes me cringe is when stores say they have the lowest prices and people actually believe them...
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
Sku number changes as well, same product. I get why they do in terms of intention, I just feel the result warrants changing
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2319 posts
467 upvotes
Vaughan
That was for Best Buy as a whole, BB Canada's profits only dropped by 15-20%.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2002
463 posts
181 upvotes

LOL thanks for the laughs, even though it's from August.

But anyway, I don't want BB to fail or suffer, the more competition we have in Canada the better. I just only want them to be clear so that they don't gain competitive advantage unfairly with these misleading policies.
Ask me how to get free $28 credit on airbnb.com
Mar 14, 2007
729 posts
54 upvotes
I did a price match at Futureshop this past weekend on some computer speakers, Amazon.ca had a cheaper price but I didn't want to wait for them to ship it. Given all the bad stories I've heard about price matching at Futureshop/Best Buy I anticipated resistance but when I got there it was very easy and had no problem getting the price match, they didn't seem to care just looked at my printed out paper from Amazon.ca and matched the price, he didn't even check to verify if it was legit.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2002
463 posts
181 upvotes
zerokarma wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 4:35 pm
I did a price match at Futureshop this past weekend on some computer speakers, Amazon.ca had a cheaper price but I didn't want to wait for them to ship it. Given all the bad stories I've heard about price matching at Futureshop/Best Buy I anticipated resistance but when I got there it was very easy and had no problem getting the price match, they didn't seem to care just looked at my printed out paper from Amazon.ca and matched the price, he didn't even check to verify if it was legit.
That's because Amazon doesn't list the end day of the sale. Their PM policy excludes time-limited sales, ie with end date.
Ask me how to get free $28 credit on airbnb.com
× < >