• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 8:02 pm
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
AsianXL wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 6:29 pm
If you're still overweight and have hypertension, you may have sleep apnea.

Thank you, but I am very well educated on this topic. I was speaking of the majority. You cannot deny the fact that the majority that have sleep apnea are overweight and/or have hypertension. Shall I quote WebMD for you?
No thanks. I am well educated on the topic.
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
Mtnviewer wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 7:13 pm
Also look for used machines where the savings can be HUGE!!! For example: An earlier poster has a father who won't use his, so probably lightly used but could be a good deal.

Don't worry, no germs get into the machines as the hose blows only one way, which is out. Contrasted to used masks, which one should not buy but which one needs to try several to get the best fit, which is A LOT of trial & error with shapes, sizes & head gear tension a long with CPAP pressure. So much fiddling is required before one gets it right & then the headgear starts to stretch & leaks start to happen.

These new machines from CPAP stores are a huge rip off & insurance companies seem to be letting them get away with it. This isn't rocket science but they sure hype it that way. Look for used & with computer data if possible.
Both of my machines I bought used and saved thousands. Very lucky as both still going strong. I have no insurance so well worth it for me to buy used.
Apr 9, 2012
296 posts
134 upvotes
Josutton wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 5:45 pm
I have lost weight, and know of people on the forum I use who have lost weight, but its made no difference to their apnea. Its not quite as simple as that.
Along with CPAP, you could also try FORCED side sleeping, meaning you use devices to keep you sleeping on your side. It's not always easy to do, but trial & error is better than doing nothing. I used a small squarish fanny pack stuffed with solid blue house insulation pieces cut to fit the pack & I wear it snugged at chest height. I also use a custom cut by me square block foam pillow that stops my head from turning. These work great for me after trying pillows, tennis balls, other things. These work so well for me keeping me side sleeping, that I no longer use my CPAP machine, as after weeks of using both, the CPAP machine data showed that I no longer had any apnea events. Now 3 years later, I'm still using this set up & the DIY cost was about $10. It took a few weeks of getting used to sleeping with the solid block backpack & square hump pillow & waking when I wanted to roll over, but soon it was no problem & sleeping longer without apneas also meant I didn't have to change positions as often anyway.

Side sleeping doesn't fix all folks situations, but it's another tool for some & for me, a HUGE fix. If I sleep on my back, I snore A LOT & have apnea events, so side sleeping isn't a cure for sleep apnea, it just prevents it to a small degree or for me, completely. It was amazing to me after watching videos of myself sleeping, listening to recordings & watching the data how persistent the body or mind are to want to get on my back, which is why I need both my DIY solid foam backpack & my DIY head blocking foam pillow, as one or the other creeps onto my back, even partially & I'd have apneas.

Fixing one's sleep or sleep apnea I learned requires A LOT of research, time, experimentation, looking at data & then more fiddling. I wish I had realized that during my first 2 years. Also, I tried an expensive mouth appliance & that was an even bigger rip off than the CPAP clinics. I tried a lot of things before finally being successful with my DIY forced slide sleeping which when used with the CPAP monitoring data & how I feel & my spouse's observations, told me that I was on the right path. The clinics are NOT always or at all experts, but just for profit retailers. Buyer Beware!!! Do your own work too.
Last edited by Mtnviewer on Nov 26th, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1621 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
Jayhoo wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 10:24 pm
Not sure how having two things inserted in your nostrils would feel less invasive than something that goes over your nose in general, but then again most people use the humidifier function... How is this site's prices compared to cpap.com?
Yeah when I was diagnosed I was trying masks on for 2 months and I could not use the one OP has mentioned. I felt I was suffocating. Full mask was much easier
Nov 12, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
British columbia
Thanks op ! I ordered one as it's the same nasal mask I have. I also paid 270 dollars for it here in my city. The markup on health products is criminal.... my machine was 2100 and i see the same one for under 800 ... I'm glad my Insurance covered most of it but it is disgusting the price gouging that goes on for health products.
Apr 9, 2012
296 posts
134 upvotes
Josutton wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 6:11 pm
Undertow wrote: ↑ Really? A man weighing in at 170 lbs and 5' 11" is over weight? You may want to educate yourself on sleep apnea before you post anything. You do not need to be over weight to have a sleeping disorder.

Exactly. My husband is 6'0" and weighs 162 lbs. It worries me that someone can post that and some one could think something as simple as losing a bit of weight would cure them of sleep apnea. If only it were that simple.
I fall into the same category of normal weight, BMI normal, 6'1" 175 lbs, yet if I sleep on my back, I snore like a banshee & have apneas. My fater was the same, slim & a huge snorer & had apneas but we didn't know about it then.

Restrictions in my case, are from my natural physical definition & age related sagging tissue. I have never been over weight, but rather on the skinny side & always very physically active / athletic. Yet I snored in my 20's so much that friends didn't want to share a tent with me when camping & it just kept getting worse (probably only when I slept on my back).

Surgery was only going to be a potentially short term fix I was counselled, as the tissue in my throat was still going to sag as I aged. Kind of like one's face. For me, the fix so far is forced side sleeping & never sleeping on my back. Otherwise, it's back to CPAP.
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
Mtnviewer wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 7:27 pm
Along with CPAP, you could also try FORCED side sleeping, meaning you use devices to keep you sleeping on your side. It's not always easy to do, but trial & error is better than doing nothing. I used a small squarish fanny pack stuffed with solid blue house insulation pieces cut to fit the pack & I wear it snugged at chest height. I also use a custom cut by me square block foam pillow that stops my head from turning. These work great for me after trying pillows, tennis balls, other things. These work so well for me keeping me side sleeping, that I no longer use my CPAP machine, as after weeks of using both, the CPAP machine data showed that I no longer had any apnea events. Now 3 years later, I'm still using this set up & the DIY cost was about $10. It took a few weeks of getting used to sleeping with the solid block backpack & square hump pillow & waking when I wanted to roll over, but soon it was no problem & sleeping longer without apneas also meant I didn't have to change positions as often anyway.

Side sleeping doesn't fix all folks situations, but it's another tool for some & for me, a HUGE fix. If I sleep on my back, I snore A LOT & have apnea events, so side sleeping isn't a cure for sleep apnea, it just prevents it to a small degree or for me, completely. It was amazing to me after watching videos of myself sleeping, listening to recordings & watching the data how persistent the body or mind are to want to get on my back, which is why I need both my DIY solid foam backpack & my DIY head blocking foam pillow, as one or the other creeps onto my back, even partially & I'd have apneas.

Fixing one's sleep or sleep apnea I learned requires A LOT of research, time, experimentation, looking at data & then more fiddling. I wish I had realized that during my first 2 years. Also, I tried an expensive mouth appliance & that was an even bigger rip off than the CPAP clinics. I tried a lot of things before finally being successful with my DIY forced slide sleeping which when used with the CPAP monitoring data & how I feel & my spouse's observations, told me that I was on the right path. The clinics are NOT always or at all experts, but just for profit retailers. Buyer Beware!!! Do your own work too.
Thanks for that advice about side sleeping. It's definitely worth trying for a decent nights sleep. Glad you have found a solution.
Mar 15, 2005
236 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks op, I have a full mask but will give the nasal one posted a shot. I also purchased the some filters for my machine and a heated tube which is not covered by my insurance but is 1/3 the cost my local shop sells them for.
Oct 17, 2009
66 posts
75 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 5:41 pm

Not defending Medigas, again all that stores are taking advance of people with apnea but can you elaborate how they forced you into buying a Machine with insurance? It was between the 5 years you can get the government subsidized? Did you visit more sleep cpap stores on this 3 days you didnt have any sleep?

They tried to charge me $50 extra for an useless online service, things that my doctor can do for non extra cost.
Sure.
So I was without sleep and desperate to get some. My machine broke while I was at the tail end of a trip in Europe. Medigas was the only store open on a Saturday when I landed so I went in to purchase a new Cpap and mask. I was outside of the five year window, so that was fine.
They strong armed me into buying a massive package of items to get the model that i needed. The package included a bunch of accessories that I would never use, and an insane insurance policy on that device. It was only after i got some sleep did i realize how much I was hosed. It was something in the range of an extra thousand dollars.
I phoned medigas and told them that I wanted to return those items, and refund the insurance policy. Only after I got the Ontario health board involved did they admit that their employee blatantly strong armed me, and my refund was issued.
If you go in there, simply tell them exactly what you want and ignore their "packages" that the push relentlessly.
Mar 15, 2008
577 posts
39 upvotes
I got these nose pillows, but I open my mouth so I had to buy a chin strap. Now I'm thinking about a full face mask to try out while prices are low. Can anyone suggest a good full face mask?
Mar 15, 2005
236 posts
34 upvotes
wonderboy wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:28 pm
I got these nose pillows, but I open my mouth so I had to buy a chin strap. Now I'm thinking about a full face mask to try out while prices are low. Can anyone suggest a good full face mask?
https://www.cpapoutlet.ca/Product/ResMe ... 63400/3241 works well for me. I used to have https://www.cpapoutlet.ca/Product/ResMe ... 61700/1457 but it would stretch out too easily and leak
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1115 posts
275 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MikoWilson wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 5:32 pm
It's called ignorance.
There are a few different reasons that sleep apnea may occur (weight, size of soft palate, sleep form, etc) and a few ways to cure it. There are operations that you can have, and various appliances that can help with the issue.
Try not to comment on health issues that you know nothing about.
Did i say weight loss is the only reason? That along with hypertension is one of the primary reasons.

I know alot more than you think.
Aug 19, 2007
198 posts
41 upvotes
Markham
Wow, thanks for posting OP.

I was thinking about getting rid of my 1 month used S9 somehow, which I gave up a long time ago on only becuase of the random mask I was given at the time of purchase.

I was just so anxious and frustrated over that first month that I just packed the entire thing up and haven't touched it since. Sure my sleep isn't the best but it really sucks way more when you're sound asleep and air starts blowing into your eye from just a small movement (I think I was 11-14 level?...haha it felt like a hurricane, super rude awakening every night multiple times).

A design and price like this makes me rethink things.
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
wonderboy wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:02 pm
Gently watsh it with soap to retighten it. Here's the video:
Thank you wonder boy. Have had this over 2 years and in all this time have been washing the whole mask and tubing together. Much easier this wayGrinning Face