• Dec 13th, 2017 8:38 pm
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
spascual76 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 10:07 pm
Wow, thanks for posting OP.

I was thinking about getting rid of my 1 month used S9 somehow, which I gave up a long time ago on only becuase of the random mask I was given at the time of purchase.

I was just so anxious and frustrated over that first month that I just packed the entire thing up and haven't touched it since. Sure my sleep isn't the best but it really sucks way more when you're sound asleep and air starts blowing into your eye from just a small movement (I think I was 11-14 level?...haha it felt like a hurricane, super rude awakening every night multiple times).

A design and price like this makes me rethink things.
I love my S9 so don't give up on it. If you do you would have a buyer at the right price.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1790 posts
260 upvotes
moon
I bought nasal mask dream wear and the guy in Surrey charge me 254 for that. I send the claim to my insurance. Hope they will cover it. They are too expensive
Parents are the most precious gift anyone can get. Love you always Dad

2014 : 394.00$ Arv
Aug 19, 2007
198 posts
41 upvotes
Markham
Josutton wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 10:23 pm
I love my S9 so don't give up on it. If you do you would have a buyer at the right price.
I was told (and didn't bother questioning it either) that it was illegal to resell the used CPAPs, hence why I mentioned to "somehow get rid of it" in my previous post. I didn't even know there was a market for used...hell, I don't even know what the "right price" would be for my machine in that condition.

I really wanted the whole S9 thing to work for me, as it was a means to the end of the sleep issues. I guess it was just too many bad CPAP experiences that just led me to give up at the time.

I was in a real bad place when I was first diagnosed...I didn't even make it through the sleep study, had to leave mid-session because I started to freak out and couldn't deal with the wires and electrodes all over me.

Side note: Apparently the main reason for the sleep study is to accurately identify the level you need for the machine to shoot air at you. Thanks guys, could have saved me the trouble of me waking up frantically ripping out wires from my head and chest by telling me "hey buddy, why don't you try the middle setting and adjust from there."
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
spascual76 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 11:47 pm
I was told (and didn't bother questioning it either) that it was illegal to resell the used CPAPs, hence why I mentioned to "somehow get rid of it" in my previous post. I didn't even know there was a market for used...hell, I don't even know what the "right price" would be for my machine in that condition.

I really wanted the whole S9 thing to work for me, as it was a means to the end of the sleep issues. I guess it was just too many bad CPAP experiences that just led me to give up at the time

I was in a real bad place when I was first diagnosed...I didn't even make it through the sleep study, had to leave mid-session because I started to freak out and couldn't deal with the wires and electrodes all over me.

Side note: Apparently the main reason for the sleep study is to accurately identify the level you need for the machine to shoot air at you. Thanks guys, could have saved me the trouble of me waking up frantically ripping out wires from my head and chest by telling me "hey buddy, why don't you try the middle setting and adjust from there."
I bought both of mine used here in Canada on the advice of my doctor and am on the lookout for a spare. I would hope that with the right advice, mask, and a little perseverance you might get a better nights sleep.
Apr 9, 2012
296 posts
134 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:41 pm
Did i say weight loss is the only reason? That along with hypertension is one of the primary reasons.

I know alot more than you think.
I'd argue that hypertension is an "effect" or symptom of sleep apnea, not a cause. Being overweight is often a symptom too & not a cause by itself, unless the physique is such that it is closing off the airway. Apneas or "not breathing" are really most often caused by GRAVITY, pulling the tongue & or loose tissue over the airway, as is snoring, with the blocking of the airway & so stopping breathing & reducing oxygen in the bloodstream / brain. Do this long enough & various "symptoms" such as hypertension are created.

Loose sagging tissue also occurs naturally as we age. Just look in the mirror or at old photos of yourself then & now. CPAP creates air pressure to force the tissue out of the way of the airway & so one can continue breathing. But sleeping face down on say something like a massage table with a donut open for your face would allow gravity to keep the airway open, but this would be hard on your chest & or cause other problems, never mind not being that comfortable. But the idea would be to reverse gravity's effect & to keep the loose sagging throat tissue from blocking your airway. One reason why I suggest trying forced side sleeping & making a pillow that also has your head tilting slightly down, toward your mattress, again, to allow gravity to help keep your airway open & to reduce or eliminate apneas & to increase oxygen overall & which would help reduce or eliminate things like hypertension, given that sleep apnea were the cause of that vs. genetics or diet, etc.. There are many symptoms of sleep apnea that some also feel cause sleep apnea, but a lack of oxygen to the organs is a pretty major cause of all sorts of problems vs. being a symptom.

Think creatively & figure out how to combat gravity from closing off your airway! CPAP is an effective but not super easy way. Side sleeping is another way, also not 100% effective for all perhaps, but again, it's not just sleep on one's side & all is figured out solution. Like CPAP & masks & head gear tension & jaw straps & mouth appliances & CPAP air pressure & your sleep position are not all perfect solutions. They all must be really analyzed & tweaked until you get something that works. And doing that is difficult & exhausting, especially when you are already exhausted. It took me a couple of years of working on it & trying bogus products (tennis ball shirts, Jaw straps, oral appliances, mask that didn't fit) before I figured out my forced side sleeping solution. And after a few years of forced side sleeping, I must keep forcing it & see if it needs tweaking. The CPAP clinics & a machine & mask are not THE perfect & final solution, there are so many variables to keep figuring out & persistence is key, no matter the usual "cause" of sleep apnea vs. some medical or physical disability that offers fewer solution possibilities. Just don't give up as the other option of not treating sleep apnea is worse.
Apr 9, 2012
296 posts
134 upvotes
wonderboy wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:28 pm
I got these nose pillows, but I open my mouth so I had to buy a chin strap. Now I'm thinking about a full face mask to try out while prices are low. Can anyone suggest a good full face mask?
Are you insisting on sleeping on your back? I didn't have success with chin straps, as they did't work that well on my back but were sort of helpful on my side. Chin straps might help keep the mouth closed but they don't help keeping the chin & tongue from falling back over the airway when you are on your back. You might be able to figure out a better more rigid DIY strap, as I found the commercial ones are a little too soft & ineffective.

For a full face mask, I had very good success with the ResMed Mirage Quattro a bunch of years back. The ResMed site had templates for face types & that helped narrow & measure the sizing to be quite precise. There are other masks that may be better or worse if you have facial hair. BUT, it also depends on your CPAP pressure. It is VERY difficult (& uncomfortable at times) if the pressure is on the high side for any mask to give a great seal & as the headgear ages & relaxes. I found that happened with me & that the headgear needed replacing once a year minimum. Keeping the headgear straps too tight caused bridge nose sores. Of the three masks I tried, it was always fiddling with tension, pressure, position, clean face, etc.. I also cut holes in the sides of my pillows so that the mask could be off the pillow when I rolled onto my side, as otherwise the pillow would push on the mask to create a leak, thus waking me up. Sleeping just on my back to avoid this, required too high air pressure, which required tighter headgear tension & that was uncomfortable & kept waking me. Check out as many Mfg websites as you can & they should have help for face types, sizes & more. But air pressure will always be an unknown until you try the mask yourself.
Nov 23, 2010
653 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Mtnviewer wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:14 am
I'd argue that hypertension is an "effect" or symptom of sleep apnea, not a cause. Being overweight is often a symptom too & not a cause by itself, unless the physique is such that it is closing off the airway. Apneas or "not breathing" are really most often caused by GRAVITY, pulling the tongue & or loose tissue over the airway, as is snoring, with the blocking of the airway & so stopping breathing & reducing oxygen in the bloodstream / brain. Do this long enough & various "symptoms" such as hypertension are created.

Loose sagging tissue also occurs naturally as we age. Just look in the mirror or at old photos of yourself then & now. CPAP creates air pressure to force the tissue out of the way of the airway & so one can continue breathing. But sleeping face down on say something like a massage table with a donut open for your face would allow gravity to keep the airway open, but this would be hard on your chest & or cause other problems, never mind not being that comfortable. But the idea would be to reverse gravity's effect & to keep the loose sagging throat tissue from blocking your airway. One reason why I suggest trying forced side sleeping & making a pillow that also has your head tilting slightly down, toward your mattress, again, to allow gravity to help keep your airway open & to reduce or eliminate apneas & to increase oxygen overall & which would help reduce or eliminate things like hypertension, given that sleep apnea were the cause of that vs. genetics or diet, etc.. There are many symptoms of sleep apnea that some also feel cause sleep apnea, but a lack of oxygen to the organs is a pretty major cause of all sorts of problems vs. being a symptom.

Think creatively & figure out how to combat gravity from closing off your airway! CPAP is an effective but not super easy way. Side sleeping is another way, also not 100% effective for all perhaps, but again, it's not just sleep on one's side & all is figured out solution. Like CPAP & masks & head gear tension & jaw straps & mouth appliances & CPAP air pressure & your sleep position are not all perfect solutions. They all must be really analyzed & tweaked until you get something that works. And doing that is difficult & exhausting, especially when you are already exhausted. It took me a couple of years of working on it & trying bogus products (tennis ball shirts, Jaw straps, oral appliances, mask that didn't fit) before I figured out my forced side sleeping solution. And after a few years of forced side sleeping, I must keep forcing it & see if it needs tweaking. The CPAP clinics & a machine & mask are not THE perfect & final solution, there are so many variables to keep figuring out & persistence is key, no matter the usual "cause" of sleep apnea vs. some medical or physical disability that offers fewer solution possibilities. Just don't give up as the other option of not treating sleep apnea is worse.
^ This!

Awesome eloquent post
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
chillychin wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 10:59 am
^ This!

Awesome eloquent post
I agree he has been so very helpful as well.
Nov 23, 2010
653 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:41 pm
Did i say weight loss is the only reason? That along with hypertension is one of the primary reasons.

I know alot more than you think.
There is a relationship between weight loss, hypertension and sleep apnea.

But just because you have one or two of the above does not mean you will automatically get all of the above.

It can be argued that hypertension is a symptom of sleep apnea, not that you have hypertension and will get sleep apnea
Apr 9, 2012
296 posts
134 upvotes
spascual76 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 11:47 pm

I really wanted the whole S9 thing to work for me, as it was a means to the end of the sleep issues. I guess it was just too many bad CPAP experiences that just led me to give up at the time.

So did you actually finally give up on CPAP? It takes persistence, research & fiddling to deal with.

The funny thing with a restriction on selling used machines, is that if there is one, it's likely pressure coming from the high profit retailers, not the medical community. Using CPAP, even incorrectly (other than zero pressure to prevent apneas) is not likely going to harm or kill anyone in any possible way, it's just blowing air, not oxygen or anything else harmful. But NOT using CPAP could kill & or cause all sorts of symptoms. So the idea to keep used affordable CPAP machines out of the hands that need them is madness. The health care costs for even one victim of sleep apnea could be huge. It's just a simple air pump, a hose & a mask, nothing threatening. A bicycle or crossing the street are more dangerous than a CPAP machine. Regulation is to me ridiculous.

Want some encouragement to use CPAP? Go visit a stroke victim & their family or caregivers. Strokes are a common outcome of severe sleep apnea & they are such difficult things to deal with for all involved. You do not want to subject yourself or anyone else to that.

After experiencing a debilitating stroke in a family, it would have been nice if the stroke took the victim's life quickly & painlessly, but no instead it created years of suffering, confusion & great difficulty for the victim & everyone else, including caregivers that were subject to abuse & violence from a frustrated locked in stroke victim, that could not communicate in any other way, than by force & frustration. It's a long story.

Don't give up on CPAP or of trying other options if you are at risk for sleep apnea. The outcome of avoiding treatment could be FAR worse. Perhaps seek counselling on treating your phobia, not easy to initiate or to do, but it's one step in the therapy to better health. I know intimatelly how fatigue clouds thinking, being rational, being motivated, being active, taking action. It is also hidden from view of others & so there is little sympathy or understanding from outside for "fatigue". But once you get a bit of a taste for more energy & clearer thinking & feeling better, it gets easier to deal with a therapy that works for you. If you are tired or ill, then it's extremely difficult to deal with & the brain just wants relief & feels that giving up is a good option. But try as hard as you can to take the first few small steps to treat the problem.

But don't give up on treating sleep apnea.
Apr 9, 2012
296 posts
134 upvotes
One more thing that I would REALLY encourage anyone to do that is dealing with this, is to video yourself sleeping at least once, maybe over several nights, even if you feel that your CPAP is effective. It is extremely informative & will help you come up with more effective solutions or at least understanding. It is very eye opening to actually see vs. just think what you are doing. Video record your sleep with & without CPAP & watch the video more than once. Easy to do with even just a laptop's built in web cam (turn off the WiFi just in case), or even a smartphone & maybe a Time Lapse app to keep the file size lower, or an action cam, or a indoor security camera, again on time lapse, a Dash Cam, etc.. So many gadgets now that many of us have. Seeing myself sleep / not sleep, move, snore, stop breathing, turn over, etc., was a HUGE eye opener for me & helped me figure out my positional sleep apnea. If I had never seen myself sleeping, it would have been so much more difficult to figure out solutions. It would even help with CPAP pressures & mask fitting. Just do it ..... at least once. So much better to have evidence over a few nights than vauge memories of what might have happened. The evidence is also useful to show a mask fitter or your doctor or the snorer in your family that is in denial that they snore & stop breathing Smiling Face With Open Mouth.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6060 posts
1034 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the P10 for her only because the straps are a bit shorter and I since my pressure is at 14 it helps. I don't care that the colour is pink rather than blue.

Masks generally last about one year and the pillows should be changed about every 4 months. Just a though, has anyone ever thought of starting a thread for pillow exchanges. I know there are many masks available so I maybe hard to organize but it would be nice for someone to exchange let's say a small P10 pillow for a medium and so on. They generally come with 3 sizes but we only use one, exchange the other two with other member and get all three the size you need.

The new P10's come with two plastic clips that help shorten the straps when they become loose towards the end of a one year period.
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
17 upvotes
Summerside, PE
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:38 pm
I have the P10 for her only because the straps are a bit shorter and I since my pressure is at 14 it helps. I don't care that the colour is pink rather than blue.

Masks generally last about one year and the pillows should be changed about every 4 months. Just a though, has anyone ever thought of starting a thread for pillow exchanges. I know there are many masks available so I maybe hard to organize but it would be nice for someone to exchange let's say a small P10 pillow for a medium and so on. They generally come with 3 sizes but we only use one, exchange the other two with other member and get all three the size you need.

The new P10's come with two plastic clips that help shorten the straps when they become loose towards the end of a one year period.
I would be up for buying any small P10 pillows but couldn't exchange as I usually just buy small as I have no insurance. I only have the older P10 for her mask that you can't tighten but it's a great idea to be able to do so.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1121 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:38 pm

That's a great idea. I have the P10 and another nasal pillow headgear with extra medium and large pillows I'd love to sell or trade but don't want to bother with kijiji. If you decide to start one,, post it here!
=============
Heatware
Nov 6, 2001
87 posts
20 upvotes
The CPAP Store I recently bought a mask from in Aug, asked my Pillow size, and swapped out the S and L pillows I didn't need. Wish more stores did this.

As for my story with CPAP I started with a full face mask, and struggled for 1 year with it. Finally switched to the P10 based on a co-workers suggestion and it changed things for me overnight. It did take a long time to stop sleeping with my mouth open when I switched to pillows, so not every night was perfect. However, the P10 made such a Quality of Life improvement I wish I had been put on it right away.

For the record I started with a goatee and now have a full on beard, no way I could use a full face mask these days.