None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3033 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto

Slight Accident Help Needed

Wife this morning turning into work off of Kennedy Road into a strip mall area (her office is to the back of the plaza) she was behind a Ryder rental truck that was also making a left in, as he went in he must have went one way, then decided to go the other not realizing he had a car behind him (her) and ran into her front side/bumper area (haven't seen the damage).

With a person who has a rental from Ryder - should we just go to the collision centre to deal with this through insurance, or would Ryder want to fix the damage through cash without a claim, or is this a more nightmarish situation because of it being a rental.

The guy has already admitted its his fault, there was a witness who saw a well, so we have no issue on that part.

Any help/advice how to approach this would be great (will also try to update as I get more info from my wife)
7 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3033 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
Also being into the plaza play any different then it being on the main Road? This happened right by the Ryder Rental enterance by Kennedy/North of Lawrence, a south-asian restaurant is also there, and my wifes city of toronto social services office.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3033 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
So got told that Ryder has an accident claim form they fill in and send to their insurance..their insurance will get in touch with mine...and take care of damges/repair ..

So is there no need to go to collision centre? no need for a police report there?

Please advise.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1054 posts
137 upvotes
Brampton
Sounds messy, since its not your fault, I would go through insurance.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1054 posts
137 upvotes
Brampton
wmahmud wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 9:46 am
So got told that Ryder has an accident claim form they fill in and send to their insurance..their insurance will get in touch with mine...and take care of damges/repair ..

So is there no need to go to collision centre? no need for a police report there?

Please advise.
If they are going to contact your insurance company, you should definitely file a report at the collision centre, your insurance company is going to need a copy of it.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1111 posts
91 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I believe any damage over a certain price amount ($1000) must be reported to police. You'd have to check you local area to be sure.
Unless you have something to hide from the police, I see no harm in reporting it. Worst case scenario, they have it on record and they are no longer needed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3033 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing to hide at all, Ryder said the will send the filled in form with all details over to my insurance, my insurance will assess and tell them value of damage and Ryder will cover

Anyways on the phone with my insurance right now - lady taking info, will ask them if they advise us to go to the collision centre
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15412 posts
5679 upvotes
wmahmud wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 9:46 am

Please advise.
If you meet the criteria for a police report (damage of a certain amount, personal injury, etc) then it does you no harm to file one. In fact it can only help preserve your statement and the police can then obtain a statement from the other party.

Do you think an insurance company will attempt to interpret your unofficial statement in a way that makes them less liable for the accident? Preserve your side of the story with a police report.