Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes

Slight jerk/push when gear shifts

Hey guys so I just picked up my 2009 Acura RDX with 101,000KM yesterday and I am noticing something.

I had a 2012 HONDA CIVIC exl with 105,000 KM and when I use to drive that, the gear shift was smoooth. No jerk or heavy feeling at all.

With the Rdx, from a stop light when I accelerate slowly, I can feel a slight slight slight jerk..
Even a slighter jerk on 3rd gear.

However, if I press the pedal and go somewhat fast, I don't feel that jerk when shifting gear. It's smooth as butter.

I'm wondering what the issue is, is there an upcoming transmission issue?

I am not that technical but my car was off and I took out the transmission fluid dip stick and the colour was nice and pink. But I can't tell how much fluid is there because it didn't cover the two holes in the stick...

I also didn't notice any oil leak or fluid leak.. They also did an engine wash and it looks brand new so I can't tell whether there are any leaks or not. However, no sign of leaks on my drive way.
12 replies
May 11, 2015
102 posts
20 upvotes
Unionville, ON
That may be Turbo Vtec trying to kick in yo, it's begging you to go pedal to metal.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4292 upvotes
The issue is the driver not the car. Be smoother with the clutch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes
It's an automatic. No clutch.

2.4 i-vetch turbo engine.

When I press down the pedal, smooth shifting.

The jerk I feel is very minor. When I ask people in the car, they say what jerk? Didn't feel anything.

Also if I'm going fast and I press the brake, and the car down shifts, I can feel that jerk too. Like I said it's not a crazy jerk but I just want to make sure it's not a transmission issue.

What test can I perform to ensure transmission is fine?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14651 posts
1048 upvotes
Markham
normal... it's just shifting aggressively.. too fast and harsh... some people call this sporty feel
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21495 posts
2288 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 9:18 pm
normal... it's just shifting aggressively.. too fast and harsh... some people call this sporty feel
mdx sporty??
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5680 posts
1341 upvotes
BC
FWD or AWD. If SH-AWD maybe you are detecting wet clutches at work which may not be working as smoothly as they should because of neglected fluid change by previous owner.

Or, previous owner may have used the RDX to tow something exceeding the rated capacity.

You have tried it in Sport mode? Same with paddle shifters?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes
I have not tried it in sports mode.

Yes it is the SH-AWD

I will try it in the morning.

It was only one previous owner and he was in Ottawa. I called the two Acura dealership in Ottawa to get a maintenance record but none of them had any for the car.

I'm starting to think he didn't change fluid. The transmission fluid looks new though.

If I take it to Acura dealership, will they charge me to check it out and tell me if there is a problem or not?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5680 posts
1341 upvotes
BC
snipe2014 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 1:38 am

If I take it to Acura dealership, will they charge me to check it out and tell me if there is a problem or not?
Yes they will. See what other owners say about your symptoms in an Acura owner's forum.

Or just get the fluid changed for good measure in the rear 'transfer case' (or whatever Acura refer to it as). Should cost < $100 at an independent.

No pre-purchase inspection when you bought?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes
macnut wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 10:25 am
Yes they will. See what other owners say about your symptoms in an Acura owner's forum.

Or just get the fluid changed for good measure in the rear 'transfer case' (or whatever Acura refer to it as). Should cost < $100 at an independent.

No pre-purchase inspection when you bought?
yes, i got the inspection done at Acura, they said everything looks fine except brakes needed changing which they did change.

ACura, doesn't drive the car when they do the inspection. It's a visual inspection like how they do it for safety.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3079 posts
2206 upvotes
Oakville, ON
A couple of comments to offer:

Read the Owner's Manual. It will tell you when to change the transmission fluid and that will help you gauge whether or not it needs to be done, or if it might be a source of trouble if it's overdue to change it.

Give it another week or so to fully adapt to your driving style. A lot of transmissions have a period where they will adapt the shift points and feel to your driving style. It's probably behaving as if the previous owner is still driving it so it's not quite shifting right for your liking. It should settle in after a few hundred kms.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 1:44 pm
A couple of comments to offer:

Read the Owner's Manual. It will tell you when to change the transmission fluid and that will help you gauge whether or not it needs to be done, or if it might be a source of trouble if it's overdue to change it.

Give it another week or so to fully adapt to your driving style. A lot of transmissions have a period where they will adapt the shift points and feel to your driving style. It's probably behaving as if the previous owner is still driving it so it's not quite shifting right for your liking. It should settle in after a few hundred kms.
yes, it could be the case.. the transmission fluid needs to be changed at 100K and i checked the fluid and it looks FRESH like pink.. so i'm not sure whether previous owner changed it or not. I couldn't get any maintenance record from ACURA..

any other way of telling if the fluid was recently changed or not?