• Mar 11th, 2017 4:31 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

slow internet--->resetting the modem

This is probably the #1 suggestion by ISP tech support whenever they're asked about a slow connection. Just the other day I switched off/on the modem but it didn't work. However, when I tried to unplug it from the power outlet and replugged it, it worked.

Could anyone w/ a technical backgrd explain why these simple acts work? What caused the slowness in the first place?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1027 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
Most modems act as routers these days, but they've powered by very weak chips and their memory table / processors get overwhelmed quickly.

But power switch should work, perhaps try leaving it off for longer.

short answer: crappy modem router.

Possible Solutions:

1. Get a better modem+router. You will need to replace the entire thing. However, this is not always possible as ISPs lock you to using very specific hardware.

2. Turn modem into bridge mode (modem only mode) and use a better quality router. However, not all modem+routers support this feature.

3. Buy a dedicated modem (not router) and use a better quality router. However, this is not always possible as ISPs lock you to using very specific hardware.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
I have my own router, so I turned off the modem's wifi. I guess the weak link's still w/ the modem then.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
I suspect it's due to over heating and shutting it downs cools it enough to restore full function.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
gophia wrote: I suspect it's due to over heating and shutting it downs cools it enough to restore full function.
Seems unlikely? I only cycled the modem for maybe 20 seconds tops...could that really make a diff?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Years ago routers and modems had issues of too many tcp.udp ports open which would slow down or crash the router. Power cycling was a way to fix this. Some routers offer dd wrt which is Linux based firmware that offers better memory and port management.

If the firmware is poorly written, the reboot method works and best to unplug the modem a few minutes.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
using a paper clip, we had to reset the modem (from start) by pressing and holding the button using the paperclip for a good minute.
it clears up the line and our signal strength got back to good speed.....before that it was so slow
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
apnayloags wrote: using a paper clip, we had to reset the modem (from start) by pressing and holding the button using the paperclip for a good minute.
it clears up the line and our signal strength got back to good speed.....before that it was so slow
+1

Depending on the type of modem the OP has, a modem comes with multiple channels. If a specific channel seems slow, switch to another channel by pushing and holding the reset button with a paperclip for like 30 secs and then it should change to another channel.
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
7 posts
Could those issues slow down my wifi connection? as far as I know there are something like different wireless band for any kind of frequency. But for a better effect I would highly recommend you to change your Internet provider to have a better speed plan. You can probably have 1gb/s and this would be really enough for you, with a 5ghz frequency band it would really awesome. To cut it short, you should inspect usave.co.uk and you will find some great options for you in your area, maybe two or three offers, you will have to chose basing on the features you want to have. So go on and check this, and will have a stable fast internet
Last edited by M1ndControl on Mar 13th, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)