• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 12:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: Have you tried more than one device to test your speeds? If not, do that first. Ideally, with something that isn't similar to your original test device (so, don't use your iPhone 10 ... then also test with your wife's iPhone 10).

If you can test with more than one device, and the speed issue still exists, then it basically has to be those routers (or your configuration, somehow).
Tried speed tests across two different laptops, phone and firestick - all come back consistently around 100mb/s
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Your expectations are too high. Reality is that WiFi is subject to so many variables that you should probably count yourself lucky to get a consistent 100mbps if you're not in the same room with the router and using a device with multiple receiving antennas.
So wired at 300mbps and wifi at 100mbps 24/7 makes sense to you? I'd rather pay Cannatel 10$ less per month and get the 75mbps. At least my wifi was showing those numbers consistently over time. This is 200% less than what I'm paying for though it's clear this is a router/wifi issue (across two routers) not an ISP issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
dmyvr wrote: From the specs at the TP-Link site, the C20 and C50 ethernet interfaces are only 10/100, so you will never get more than 100. You need a wireless AP/router that has a gigabit interface.
Finally an answer that has merit. When i read the descriptions on amazon it listed the C20 as 5GHz = 433Mbps, and C50 as 5GHz = 867Mbps. Since Cannatel told me to get a router that's at least 300mbs I thought I was on the safe side with either of these two given the listed max speeds. What gives? Are these listed max speeds wired only? If so, what's the point of listing that on a wireless router and not listing wireless max speeds?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
BigBrother0 wrote: There is a limitation for this C50 router from tp-link, "1 10/100Mbps WAN Port" means that accessing internet from ISP will be hard capped at 100mbps. Doesn't matter if you used a wired connection or a wireless one, unless you connected directly to the modem instead.
Damn, that's some shitty, misleading advertising on their part. Instant Amazon return for both these routers lol.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Oct 7th, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a reliable/good/value router that will be compatible with my 300/20 ISP on wifi?
Jun 9, 2012
208 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver
thelasthunter wrote: Can anyone recommend a reliable/good/value router that will be compatible with my 300/20 ISP on wifi?
I think there were ASUS AC1900 on sale before, ASUS generally makes pretty darn good consumer grade routers from my experience.
thelasthunter wrote: Would this one give somewhere near my advertised speeds (300/20) on wifi: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1750-Wi ... EQB&sr=8-3
There are Gigabit ports for WAN and LAN, so this should get you the 300 mbps speeds that you were looking for from your ISP. If you are looking for additional features, I really don't know much for this particular router.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2647 posts
841 upvotes
Windsor
Something else is going on: you said wired, you're getting full speeds, but wifi you're not. If your router's WAN port was the limiting factor, it would not matter if you were wired or not, you'd still be limited by the router.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3363 posts
504 upvotes
Kingston
thelasthunter wrote: Can anyone recommend a reliable/good/value router that will be compatible with my 300/20 ISP on wifi?
There is lots of options, but the question that needs to be asked is is your home hardwired at all per floor? The reason I ask is the no brainer is a Ubiquiti setup https://www.ui.com/products/#unifi

If you aren't hardwired through the house, then an Asus RT-AC86U may be an option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: Something else is going on: you said wired, you're getting full speeds, but wifi you're not. If your router's WAN port was the limiting factor, it would not matter if you were wired or not, you'd still be limited by the router.
So when I hookup the Cannatel modem directly into my laptop I'm getting the advertised speeds, however, when it's wired via the router I get the same limited speeds as on wifi - around 100mbps. Does this indicate that the router is too slow and I must get the gigabit ones indicated above?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2647 posts
841 upvotes
Windsor
thelasthunter wrote: So when I hookup the Cannatel modem directly into my laptop I'm getting the advertised speeds, however, when it's wired via the router I get the same limited speeds as on wifi - around 100mbps. Does this indicate that the router is too slow and I must get the gigabit ones indicated above?
I misunderstood your original issue, I understood it as you were using the router for both tests ... my bad. That absolutely confirms the issue is the router. That C7 should work just fine.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26029 posts
11477 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: There is lots of options, but the question that needs to be asked is is your home hardwired at all per floor? The reason I ask is the no brainer is a Ubiquiti setup https://www.ui.com/products/#unifi

If you aren't hardwired through the house, then an Asus RT-AC86U may be an option.
Even if OP isn't hardwired I'd take a Unifi over consumer in a single location.
Or I'd go and hardwire it.

Also did I miss a memo where they bought ui.com?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9120 posts
1799 upvotes
Winnipeg
thelasthunter wrote: So when I hookup the Cannatel modem directly into my laptop I'm getting the advertised speeds, however, when it's wired via the router I get the same limited speeds as on wifi - around 100mbps. Does this indicate that the router is too slow and I must get the gigabit ones indicated above?
both the routers you have the c20 and c50 can't do more than 100mbps thru the the wan or lan. From the wan is connection to the internet and distributed to all the lan ports and the wifi. If the wan maxes at 100 then thats the best your ac wifi can do too. Its the bottle kneck

You need a gigabit router.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1688 posts
1637 upvotes
lead wrote: both the routers you have the c20 and c50 can't do more than 100mbps thru the the wan or lan. From the wan is connection to the internet and distributed to all the lan ports and the wifi. If the wan maxes at 100 then thats the best your ac wifi can do too. Its the bottle kneck

You need a gigabit router.
Yeah, that makes total sense. I'm just left wondering how these companies get away with their deceptive advertising. The c20 prominently states 5GHz 433Mbps, and c50 also says 5GHz = 867Mbps. If both models are only capable of 100mbps wifi than this is what they should state clearly in the sales description.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1688 posts
857 upvotes
Calgary
thelasthunter wrote: Yeah, that makes totaly sense. I'm just left wondering how these companies get away with their advertisiting as the c20 is listed 5GHz = 433Mbps, and c50 description says 5GHz = 867Mbps. If both models are only capable of 100mbps wifi than this is what they should state clearly in the discription.
Those numbers are the theoretical maximums based on the Wi-Fi spec - and even if you had gigabit-capable LAN/WAN ports you wouldn't see those speeds on wireless anyways. You'd probably see higher than 100Mbps though.

Yes it's misleading, and even moreso with the router only having Fast Ethernet ports, but they get away with it by the "up to" comments regarding speed. Frankly, companies shouldn't be using anything less than gigabit Ethernet ports by now.