• Jul 16th, 2018 11:35 am
[OP]
May 4, 2013
30 posts
1 upvote
Montr

Small carrier question

I'm not phone savvy... :)

If I get an unlocked phone from a carrier, will it have the carrier's logo on the phone/case/box/etc?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2394 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
As long as the phone is unlocked and works on whatever network you use it is fine.

I get phones from American carriers and they sometimes have the logo.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5547 posts
2107 upvotes
Canada
The box might say the carrier name near the bar code
Koodo customer
Tangerine customer
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2929 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
notebookfinder wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 1:32 am

If I get an unlocked phone from a carrier, will it have the carrier's logo on the phone/case/box/etc?
It will have carrier integration (carrier firmware on Android, with iPhone there's still some sort of carrier integration).

The box and the phone exterior (plus boot animation) should not contain carrier logo.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2394 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 2:43 pm
It will have carrier integration (carrier firmware on Android, with iPhone there's still some sort of carrier integration).

The box and the phone exterior (plus boot animation) should not contain carrier logo.
AT&T phones may have their own packaging. Prepaid and postpaid. And tons of bloatware.
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2929 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 3:09 pm
AT&T phones may have their own packaging. Prepaid and postpaid. And tons of bloatware.
Unless OP specifies US market, we can only assume that we're sticking to inventory in the maple leaf state. Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Ca
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jun 2, 2010
206 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
notebookfinder wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 1:32 am

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S9 from Koodo just over two weeks ago. There is no Koodo logo on my phone, home screen, or box.

All that got added to my phone were four browser bookmarks to Koodo. Thank goodness they can be deleted or moved! :)
TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15 GB Data
Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8 GB Data
chatr: $60 Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)
Jan 13, 2017
161 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
I bought an S8 couple of weeks ago from Koodo. The only carrier brand i see is the Telus sticker on the side of the box. There is no carrier bloats on the phone, aside from samsung softs.
Last edited by vicktnguyen on Jul 16th, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 24, 2009
279 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
vicktnguyen wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 9:22 am
I bought an S8 couple of weeks ago from Koodo. The only carrier brand i see is thr Telus sticker on the side of the box. There is no carrier bloats on the phone, aside from samsung softs.
Nice...good to know that there are no carrier bloatware on the phone with Koodo as I'm thinking of going over to them. I read somewhere that once a SIM card is inserted into a phone, it will load the phone with the carriers bloat via SIM. Is that true for only some carriers?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16481 posts
5063 upvotes
Toronto
Tom0822 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:25 am
Nice...good to know that there are no carrier bloatware on the phone with Koodo as I'm thinking of going over to them. I read somewhere that once a SIM card is inserted into a phone, it will load the phone with the carriers bloat via SIM. Is that true for only some carriers?
Yes true for all carriers. Carriers control software update roll out in Canada for Samsung products.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Jun 2, 2010
206 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Tom0822 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:25 am
Virgin Mobile installed a few Bell apps, a Virgin Mobile My Account app, and many bookmarks (that cannot be moved or deleted :( ) when I inserted their SIM card in my Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

My Koodo Samsung Galaxy S9 only had four Koodo bookmarks installed. But they can be moved or deleted! :)
TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15 GB Data
Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8 GB Data
chatr: $60 Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)