Automotive

Small cheap fast roadster or larger V8 coupe?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 4:17 am
Jun 19, 2017
116 posts
76 upvotes

Small cheap fast roadster or larger V8 coupe?

I'm torn between a used low mileage 2016 V8 Camaro which is slightly more expensive than a brand new Miata. I'm still looking for a fun car and I have an older V8 Mustang, so i know V6 muscle is an option to bring price down but I would stay with V8. I test drove both cars and I like the fun factor in both. The 2016 Camaro is just SO nice! However the Miata was just as much fun in a cheaper and smaller package. I don't have kids so I can do the roadster as a different driving experience. The car would be mostly for weekend driving (not track) but also as my only car, it would be driven in winter as well. I would keep it for at least 5 years or longer. There's not a lot of options at the $32,000 mark for a sports coupe that appeals to me. The advantage of the Miata is zero percent financing.

My friends are no help - half say the Camaro, the other half say Miata. Right now i'm leaning towards the Camaro because the Miata is a slightly bumpier ride with it's stiffer suspension (and the psychological element of knowing it's got the Corvette engine)...but is it worth the money?

Given a choice, which would you choose?
76 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto

Watching this video alone with the sound turned up has me sold on the Camaro!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
Is this going to be your only vehicle?
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gymrat999 wrote: The car would be mostly for weekend driving (not track) but also as my only car, it would be driven in winter as well.
If it's your only car, then it's pretty much a "daily", just that you aren't commuting with it...

I'd lean towards the Miata. Lightweight is the key ingredient to a fun car, you don't need alot of power. Good on gas, lower upkeep, and probably more driveable in the winter(although you'd definitely want to slap winters on either one).

Consider a used one, if you can find one, to save even more.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Miata as it would be a collectible in the future.
Camaro for the thrill.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Jun 19, 2017
116 posts
76 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Miata as it would be a collectible in the future.
Camaro for the thrill.
And therein is my dilemma. I love the price point of the Miata, and its a fun car, like er34er34 said, i got a kick from driving it because it's not about HP - you get a lot of car for the money. Then again the Camaro compared to German cars is a lot of value too, the Camaro gives you a Corvette's baby sister.

Argh! choices choices! It would be nice to make more money to own both. LOL.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Camaro would be more practical as the only vehicle since it sits 4 people and has trunk space for more then just a couple of grocery bags. Since it's an occasionally driven car, gas mileage is pretty irrelevant IMO.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. To be way over speed limit just barely touching the pedal is only fun for maybe 3 seconds.

If you can deal with the lack of space in your only car then Miata. I would've if I could.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Why don't you get the Camaro and your significant other get the Miata?

If you are stuck with one car and you live together, maybe ask her wants she likes driving so sometimes you can be in auto pilot mode sitting in the passenger side.
Jun 19, 2017
116 posts
76 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Why don't you get the Camaro and your significant other get the Miata?

If you are stuck with one car and you live together, maybe ask her wants she likes driving so sometimes you can be in auto pilot mode sitting in the passenger side.
She already has an opinion - "get the Camaro! it's a real man's car, not half a car like the Miata with it's softer girl car looks" :D I don't think of the 'girls car' aspect of the debate so it doesn't bother me.
My mistake was that I test drove the Miata and I had fun with it, which surprised me. Yes it has little things that annoy me (i'd miss the V-8 rumble, lack of space for Costco runs...and whats with the cupholder design???) but it's also a great price with dealer discounts on a new 2017 right now to clear their inventory. If I hadn't driven it, i would have just pulled the trigger on the Camaro this past weekend.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Go with the Camaro. Happy GF Happy Life. Only negative would be fuel consumption but you don't have kids and those little critters are more costly.

I'd love a Miata but my uncle recalls that it used to have a $3-5,000 premium over a Civic (early 90's) but now the price is almost double that of the Civic lol. The RFD in me says No because of this.

If I wanted to buy a car, I now have so many constraints: need to be auto, seats four, four doors, haha.

Or wait for the next Miata with the HCCI engine. Isn't it coming out soon?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
There's probably a lot more engineering gone into the current Miata than early 90's, take a look at this video, mostly the undercarriage section. He's the only reviewer does it which I'm sure car guys appreciate.

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I think that applies to every car including the 10th gen Civic but LSD on the higher trim Miata is nice.

If it comfortable sat four including a toddler on a car seat, I wouldn't mind considering it but as it is, that's $16k/seat lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
If you have a second car to do all the daily driver stuff, I'd get the MX-5 and enjoy that car. A light weight roadster experience is something only a MX-5, old British sports cars and possibly Lotus will ever do. You can experience all the fun the MX-5 offers at street legal speeds, the Camaro you simply can't. The MX-5 is my sort of car too, however I can't have one because I can only have one car and the caveat is it needs to be an emergency sedan in pinch...which it frankly can't do meaning I have a FRS. Similar idea only in a more practical hardtop 2+2 body, the minus being a decent amount of extra weight, still a lightweight overall but a fat man compared to a MX-5. The Camaro does work better if its your only car. I absolutely respect the Camaro and Mustang's performance value, but one thing I couldn't love was constantly chaining these cars for the daily drive because its either that or accept some speeding tickets. Since the end of the Ontariobahn days on the 401 there's even less places to experience these performance bargains at their best.

Still, the sort of roads you're going to take the cars might truly determine which one is better. If you got a lot of twisty B roads or mountain roads, the Camaro will suck compared to the MX-5, not because it can't do it but the MX-5 will be at its peak of fun(all legal). However if its a lot of straight roads, the MX-5 won't shine at all and you'll get more enjoyment from the Camaro there.
- Jegan V
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
Miata, but they are overpriced. Wait for a good deal
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
gymrat999 wrote: I'm torn between a used low mileage 2016 V8 Camaro which is slightly more expensive than a brand new Miata. I'm still looking for a fun car and I have an older V8 Mustang, so i know V6 muscle is an option to bring price down but I would stay with V8. I test drove both cars and I like the fun factor in both. The 2016 Camaro is just SO nice! However the Miata was just as much fun in a cheaper and smaller package. I don't have kids so I can do the roadster as a different driving experience. The car would be mostly for weekend driving (not track) but also as my only car, it would be driven in winter as well. I would keep it for at least 5 years or longer. There's not a lot of options at the $32,000 mark for a sports coupe that appeals to me. The advantage of the Miata is zero percent financing.

My friends are no help - half say the Camaro, the other half say Miata. Right now i'm leaning towards the Camaro because the Miata is a slightly bumpier ride with it's stiffer suspension (and the psychological element of knowing it's got the Corvette engine)...but is it worth the money?

Given a choice, which would you choose?
You can't just answer this question on paper. You need to go drive both cars in the trim you want on similar roads and highways and then compare for yourself. Asking random strangers what you should purchase is not the right approach here. My opinion, As good as the Miata is, it's a terrible value for money. I'd get a Camaro 1LE, 6-speed manual, in Krypton Green.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
And where are you going to use that V8 power? With only half the HP I can quickly get into license suspending speed on 2 lane roads and have to consciously hold back all the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
I also prefer driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. It's just more exciting. But that V8!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)