Automotive

Small cheap fast roadster or larger V8 coupe?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 4:17 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8307 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Miata, but they are overpriced. Wait for a good deal
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4404 posts
2748 upvotes
Montreal
gymrat999 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:29 am
I'm torn between a used low mileage 2016 V8 Camaro which is slightly more expensive than a brand new Miata. I'm still looking for a fun car and I have an older V8 Mustang, so i know V6 muscle is an option to bring price down but I would stay with V8. I test drove both cars and I like the fun factor in both. The 2016 Camaro is just SO nice! However the Miata was just as much fun in a cheaper and smaller package. I don't have kids so I can do the roadster as a different driving experience. The car would be mostly for weekend driving (not track) but also as my only car, it would be driven in winter as well. I would keep it for at least 5 years or longer. There's not a lot of options at the $32,000 mark for a sports coupe that appeals to me. The advantage of the Miata is zero percent financing.

My friends are no help - half say the Camaro, the other half say Miata. Right now i'm leaning towards the Camaro because the Miata is a slightly bumpier ride with it's stiffer suspension (and the psychological element of knowing it's got the Corvette engine)...but is it worth the money?

Given a choice, which would you choose?
You can't just answer this question on paper. You need to go drive both cars in the trim you want on similar roads and highways and then compare for yourself. Asking random strangers what you should purchase is not the right approach here. My opinion, As good as the Miata is, it's a terrible value for money. I'd get a Camaro 1LE, 6-speed manual, in Krypton Green.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1915 posts
857 upvotes
Montreal
And where are you going to use that V8 power? With only half the HP I can quickly get into license suspending speed on 2 lane roads and have to consciously hold back all the time.
Dec 14, 2007
475 posts
47 upvotes
I also prefer driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. It's just more exciting. But that V8!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
1958 posts
322 upvotes
There’s no replacement for displacement.

And if you spend time on the 400-series highway outside of rush hour, you can definitely use that V8 to keep up with (and have fun in) light traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9019 posts
195 upvotes
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
it's me ramin.
Mar 17, 2010
94 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure what your exact budget is but if its around 30k, you can grab a decent low mileage 2007-2008 Cayman and possibly Cayman S for a couple thousand more.

Good luck!
[OP]
Jun 19, 2017
26 posts
2 upvotes
desistylzz wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:17 am
Not sure what your exact budget is but if its around 30k, you can grab a decent low mileage 2007-2008 Cayman and possibly Cayman S for a couple thousand more.

Good luck!
Yes the $30k mark. I don't want to get anything older than 2 or 3 years, hence it's down to these two cars. Good point that I don't do twisty road driving. Mostly highway.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2017
26 posts
2 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:47 pm
I also prefer driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. It's just more exciting. But that V8!
That's my pain....having test driven both cars, i love both of them because they are both different driving experiences. The former or the latter..choices choices....gah!!!! :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40882 posts
9789 upvotes
desistylzz wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:17 am

Good luck!
How much is it to service at an indie shop that specializes in Porsches? Are they really more reliable than Audi and VW siblings?

Haven't looked at whether it is possible to do oil changes without lifting the car up.

I was actually looking at the same vehicles on autotrader a few weeks ago, just to have an idea how much they cost.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40882 posts
9789 upvotes
Which is more of a joy to shift all the way to 6th gear? And does either have a rev hang?
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8217 posts
2392 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:11 pm
I think that applies to every car including the 10th gen Civic but LSD on the higher trim Miata is nice.

If it comfortable sat four including a toddler on a car seat, I wouldn't mind considering it but as it is, that's $16k/seat lol.
I can tell you that a lot of cars are not like the miatas underside and far from it. Even the focus RS isn't. I'm really trying to understand the civic vs miata comparison that you keep doing. Completely different segments in the market and clearly the miata is not aimed at you.
Mar 17, 2010
94 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:37 am
How much is it to service at an indie shop that specializes in Porsches? Are they really more reliable than Audi and VW siblings?

Haven't looked at whether it is possible to do oil changes without lifting the car up.

I was actually looking at the same vehicles on autotrader a few weeks ago, just to have an idea how much they cost.
Not sure how the reliability compares to other VW group. I've had my 07 boxster for a year now and zero problems.

Oil changes are straight forward, drain and filter at the bottom, refill in the rear trunk. My indie shop charges me $180 incl oil and labour. Regular wear parts are generally higher than econobox (brakes, tires, etc).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)