• Nov 15th, 2017 2:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19179 posts
121742 upvotes
GTA

Small Dog Breeds / Staying at Home During the Day

Looking for some advice from dog owners regarding what you do with your dog if you are at work for 8-9 hours a day. My wife and I are again in this debate about getting a dog. Can most dogs stay at home for that amount of time, or is dropping the dog off somewhere a must? Seem to be hearing conflicting ideas on that. If we were to get one, it would be a smaller one such as a Maltese, Havanese, Coton de Tulear, Yorkie, etc. Any small dog breeds that do better on their own than others? We are OK with going out for morning and evening exercise, it's what to do during the day that I am concerned about.

Have also read about getting them in pairs to keep each other company when left alone, but being new potential dog owners (and pet owners for that matter), not sure how good an idea that is (to start off with, at least).
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
My GF moved in with her two small dogs. A Lhasa Apso and a Shih Tzu. They were crate trained, and stay in their crate during our work day. 8 to 10 hours aren't an issue.

We wouldn't trust the Shih Tzu running around loose all day. He's a chewer, in particular, the piping trim around cushions.

I think the biggest issue would be proper training. My GF's dogs were trained when her schedule was flexible. I've never had a puppy, but I believe the bladder of young dogs just can't go as long as a mature dog.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1563 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
We have 2 dogs. When we are away (work, shopping, out), they are restricted to only part of the main floor.
We have a dog walker that comes during lunch time to let them out for a 15 min pee break.

I can hold my pee/poop for 10 hours but it is not comfortable. Why would I do that to my dogs?
Jan 15, 2010
333 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
My mom's dog is trained to pee pads that she has setup in the laundry room when she is not there and he has to go. When she is there he knows to go outside. Took a while to get him trained to doing that but it works well.

For the most part when your not there they just lay down and fall asleep anyways.
Nov 7, 2012
657 posts
231 upvotes
TORONTO
I take my LhasaPoo before we leave for work at around 630am and we get home by 6 sometimes 7-8 and he's ok. My dog usually just sleeps and barely touches his food. They're usually good, as long as you take them to poo/pee before you leave.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3421 posts
1352 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BDSL wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 2:29 pm
We have 2 dogs. When we are away (work, shopping, out), they are restricted to only part of the main floor.
We have a dog walker that comes during lunch time to let them out for a 15 min pee break.

I can hold my pee/poop for 10 hours but it is not comfortable. Why would I do that to my dogs?
Healthy adult dogs can easily hold it that long.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1563 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
Chickinvic wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:08 am
Healthy adult dogs can easily hold it that long.
It is not a question if the dog can hold it or not. It is a question whether it is comfortable for the dog.

There are many things I can do....but not very desirable.
I can stand in outside in -25degC for a whole day.
I can hold it (not going to bathroom) for 8 hours as well.
I can sit in a car in +30degC with windows up for 30mins.
But I don't do it....
Jan 16, 2007
620 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
The main problem is not about holding it for 8+ hours. It's the separation, loneliness, boredom and psychological issues that's the problem.

My dog will hold it forever and be happy without issues if he can be close to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3814 posts
525 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We have two dogs. They keep each other company. 8 hr + days are rare so that's not a problem. We also keep them right by the kitchen doors to the backyard, so they're able to sun and yap at things outside. They also have their toys.

I would say if 8+ hr days are common, it'll be very difficult for them, and there should be additional expenses like BDSL mentioned in getting a daily dogwalker during the mid-points of the day to let them out and interact a bit.

Also keep in mind planning for vacations will be a bit more complicated, especially if you want to do a spontaneous weekend trip that may not be pet friendly.
Oct 27, 2004
907 posts
73 upvotes
I have a Maltese/Pomeranian. She was pad-trained by the breeder. We have no issues with leaving her home alone during the day, and while we had a couple accidents/missed pads when she was younger, she's great now. She gets walked every evening, mostly for exercise, but also to poop (which she will also do on the pad, in emergencies).

I do find if we're gone for an extended time, like 12+ hours, we tend to come home to a torn up Kleenex, or napkin, or some other paper product (where does she find them??), but I think, as @NubNub said, that's from loneliness and boredom.

OP, if you are committed to a morning and evening walk, and are considering a smaller breed, I don't think you'll have any issues leaving them home alone during the day.
Dec 1, 2003
475 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
Another point is that be mind full of your neighbours as well. My neighbour's dog also away from the owner 8-10 hours a day and it crys/howls all day long until the owner return.
Last edited by crow on Nov 1st, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1866 posts
226 upvotes
Waterlooo
I have a chihuahua, bathroom break before I leave and right away when I get home. He seems ok with this. I let him free in the house, he doesn't do anything other than find a pile of clothes to sleep on. but each dog will be unique of their temperament - as a kid we had a neighbor who put his dog outside and he would howl and moan day and night. We were super irritated all the time yet sad for this dog.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1501 posts
193 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:52 pm
Your dog needs a litter box?

C
When we’re away for the day as in the case of the op.