Home & Garden

Small greenish fly in grass. They're Everywhere!

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 10:29 am
Tags:
None
Jul 23, 2006
196 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto

Small greenish fly in grass. They're Everywhere!

Hi everyone, last night i went out to my back yard, as i was walking along the grass, a whole bunch of small little flies just flew up as I walked with every step. At first I thought they were mosquitoes but they are a little bit bigger than mosquitoes but smaller than your average fly. They have a light green back and I also noticed a lot of them on my window and patio screen door.

Does anyone have a clue what these annoying things are and what i can spray to get rid of them?
I cant even walk on my grass without these pests flying up and all around me.

Thanks!!
10 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Leafhoppers? I always liked them when I was a kid.
Dec 5, 2007
33 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
BinaryJay wrote: Those do not jump out of the grass, they are not really in the grass to begin with. They certainly are never green.
Maybe you are right(I'm clueless when it comes to bugs, I only recently googled about them when I encountered them on a bike trail by the lake), but from what I see on bugguide.net there are many subfamilies, and this particular subgroup can be green. http://bugguide.net/node/view/331010/bgpage
Jul 23, 2006
196 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
These little buggers are actually sitting on the grass and as you walk by and disturb them, they fly all around. Very annoying!!!
Mar 10, 2009
465 posts
91 upvotes
Post a photo...I'm saying midges, they don't necessarily 'jump' out of the grass, but they will fly up from the grass. They are attracted to light and I have a bunch that rest on door/window screens. I have a pile of dead ones, right in front of a spotlight in my garden.

Don't bother spraying them, they keep coming back
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
The bugs were sitting nice and quiet until you showed up and disturbed them.
And everybody says the bugs are the annoying ones.
May 10, 2012
260 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
TASP1978 wrote: Hi everyone, last night i went out to my back yard, as i was walking along the grass, a whole bunch of small little flies just flew up as I walked with every step. At first I thought they were mosquitoes but they are a little bit bigger than mosquitoes but smaller than your average fly. They have a light green back and I also noticed a lot of them on my window and patio screen door.

Does anyone have a clue what these annoying things are and what i can spray to get rid of them?
I cant even walk on my grass without these pests flying up and all around me.

Thanks!!
I have a million in my yard too. I had them last year as well...no clue what they are, tho.
Jul 23, 2006
196 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote: I still say leafhoppers.

[IMG]http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/ ... ers850.jpg[/IMG]

Leave them alone, they won't hurt you... do anything you would normally do to control mosquito populations to reduce their numbers.
hmm..I don't think that's what they are... they don't look like leafhoppers. I will take a pic and post it this evening.