Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR

Small-scale, one-time shredding?

Figured this might be the most applicable place to ask this question. Been clearing out/digitizing a lot of old documents and now I want to get rid of them. Far too many to go through with shredding with some home personal shredder, but it also has everything from tax forms to medical documents to other personal things.

In my search I saw that you can drop off at Staples and it seems reasonably-priced enough... but I think they just hold it and someone else comes to shred it later? Apart from Staples being large and likely having a process for this, I don't love the idea of just dropping off all my important documents with some whoever employee at staples. Has anyone done it with staples or knows of another service that is straightforward+doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a "small batch"?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
I have five hard drives that I am looking to have shredded but am looking to have it done inexpensively. If anyone has advice on who does this for cheap, it would be most appreciated.
Aug 20, 2018
61 posts
42 upvotes
Kaitlyn, choclover

papersavers markham

they do papers in boxes $3 per box, 8 minimum, so if you have 7 boxes, they charge for 8, $24, remember to leave a tip for the guy who does it and don't be cheap

they do hard drives as well
Aug 20, 2018
61 posts
42 upvotes
yelp: https://www.yelp.ca/biz/papersavers-markham-3

1) You go to the front and tell the lady how many boxes you have. Minimum 8, these are the 15" x 12" x 10" standard banker boxes.
They charge $3.00 for each box. So you have to pay at least $24.00 plus tax.

2) The lady gives you a receipt and you get in your car and drive around back and park next to the two orange pylons.

3) There will be a dude who waits for you (the lady calls the back via the PA system, so they are aware). You get out of your car, show the receipt, then unlock your car doors/pop the boot. The guy walks over and unloads your boxes onto a trolley.

4) You follow the dude to a staging area where you sign in at a binder.

5) You then turn right and stand there chilling.

6) You see a large monitor that shows the conveyor and staging area. There is a counter door that the dude closes to prevent you from going further for safety and privacy reasons.

7) The monitor shows the dude with your boxes and the conveyor. You stand and watch the dude unload each box individually onto the conveyor.

8) The conveyor brings the pages up to a destroyer. The destroyer rips your pages to shreds and packs it up into a hay-bale looking stack of shreds. This gets transported to a recycler.

9) The dude comes back and thanks you and wishes you to have a pleasant day. You give him a tip ($5-10) and have a pleasant day.

No, I do not work for, own, or am affiliated with this company in any way. I am a happy customer and I have sent a lot of boxes their way. There is no contract to sign or subscription, just drop, watch, and jet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)