Automotive

Small SUVs (non-luxury) with DVD players in the second row?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2009 7:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2004
1608 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener

Small SUVs (non-luxury) with DVD players in the second row?

We'll be shopping around for a small SUV soon, and a must have option is a DVD player in the back for the kids. If we can get two screens that can play two independant discs that would be ideal.. but if it's just one, that's ok.

Does anyone know which small SUVs (Rav4, CRV, Vue, Equinox, Escape, etc..) have screens in the back? We won't be looking at the luxury brands (Acura, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, etc..)
Rogue Chameleon
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2044 posts
30 upvotes
Medicine Hat
roguechameleon wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 9:43 pm
We'll be shopping around for a small SUV soon, and a must have option is a DVD player in the back for the kids. If we can get two screens that can play two independant discs that would be ideal.. but if it's just one, that's ok.

Does anyone know which small SUVs (Rav4, CRV, Vue, Equinox, Escape, etc..) have screens in the back? We won't be looking at the luxury brands (Acura, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, etc..)
Isnt aftermarket usually cheaper?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2004
1608 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
randomdef wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 10:02 pm
Isnt aftermarket usually cheaper?
Likely, yes. However, I personally would like the entertainment system to be built-in from an asthetic and integration point of view.
Rogue Chameleon
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2004
1608 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 10:38 pm
I think you have more chances with Minivans than SUVs...
Yeah... that much I know. I was hoping there would be *some* options in the small SUV market...
Rogue Chameleon
Dec 12, 2007
774 posts
3 upvotes
I don't think you should buy an SUV just based on this... that's silly.

Get the vehicle you like for the important reasons, and then think about a DVD player. If you get a good aftermarket setup, I'm sure it will look just as nice, and probably function better than stock. Have you considered getting those aftermarket headrests with it built in?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2004
1608 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
TT333 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 11:04 pm
I don't think you should buy an SUV just based on this... that's silly.

Get the vehicle you like for the important reasons, and then think about a DVD player. If you get a good aftermarket setup, I'm sure it will look just as nice, and probably function better than stock. Have you considered getting those aftermarket headrests with it built in?
I've had a minivan for 4 years, and would prefer not to have to drive a bus for another 4 years :) Thus, the inquiry into small SUVs.

Now, with regards to the headrests with the screens built it... those are aftermarket? I always thought those were OEM.
Rogue Chameleon
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2004
1608 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 11:19 pm
SUVs aren't family cars. Minivans ARE. The options available to the consumer usually revolve around the type of customers the cars are tailored to.
Bah! Quit talking sense... and give me a small SUV that meets my need! :D
Rogue Chameleon
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
11973 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
roguechameleon wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 11:21 pm
Bah! Quit talking sense... and give me a small SUV that meets my need! :D
unfortunately there are none.. you'll need a full size suv for that. 70K and above like the bmw X5, X6, audi suvs, lincoln navigators..

seriously though.. your outta luck.. i'd rather you find a good car that fits your needs like others said then go out and buy a car for it's dvd player..
Dec 12, 2007
774 posts
3 upvotes
roguechameleon wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 11:14 pm
I've had a minivan for 4 years, and would prefer not to have to drive a bus for another 4 years :) Thus, the inquiry into small SUVs.

Now, with regards to the headrests with the screens built it... those are aftermarket? I always thought those were OEM.
haha, Im just saying, get whichever SUV ... drives best, gets good mileage, is a good deal!!!! etc.
THEN worry about the dvd players.

and yeah, you can get those headrests aftermarket. I've seen them on displays in dealerships before but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere too. They come in different colours and materials to match your interior.
Dec 18, 2008
948 posts
22 upvotes
usually the factory players come with them in the roof no?

head rest ones are after markte or certain editions
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4359 posts
362 upvotes
trixstar wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 11:28 pm
unfortunately there are none.. you'll need a full size suv for that. 70K and above like the bmw X5, X6, audi suvs, lincoln navigators..

seriously though.. your outta luck.. i'd rather you find a good car that fits your needs like others said then go out and buy a car for it's dvd player..
Many midsize suvs have dvd players....op are you buying an suv, hence small?, just for the sake of not driving a van any more? Im sure there are alternatives like head rest dvd players or aftermarket ones as well.
Apr 2, 2008
57 posts
14 upvotes
I don't think any small SUV has a factory DVD system. It's just not a popular feature in this vehicle class. As others have said, they are usually found in minivans or larger SUVs. However, I've seen aftermarket models available, such as the ones with LCD screens on the back of the front headrests. I'm sure your dealer would be more than happy to install a pair when you get your car. Just be prepared to pay a premium price (I've seen the headrests selling for > $1000; add installation on top of that).

Are you sure you want to pay over $1000 for a built in system when you can buy a portable DVD player now for around $100???????? If it ever dies, you won't feel too bad about shelling out another $100 for a new portable one. As well, you can take a portable model with you (eg into the hotel when travelling). With the portable ones, your kids can hold them in their laps where the image will be much clearer than a ceiling or headrest mounted screen. They will also be able to change DVDs, adjust the volume, screen angle, etc by themselves without bothering you. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.
Dec 12, 2007
774 posts
3 upvotes
NitrousGasMan wrote:
Jan 26th, 2009 12:34 am
I don't think any small SUV has a factory DVD system. It's just not a popular feature in this vehicle class. As others have said, they are usually found in minivans or larger SUVs. However, I've seen aftermarket models available, such as the ones with LCD screens on the back of the front headrests. I'm sure your dealer would be more than happy to install a pair when you get your car. Just be prepared to pay a premium price (I've seen the headrests selling for > $1000; add installation on top of that).

Are you sure you want to pay over $1000 for a built in system when you can buy a portable DVD player now for around $100???????? If it ever dies, you won't feel too bad about shelling out another $100 for a new portable one. As well, you can take a portable model with you (eg into the hotel when travelling). With the portable ones, your kids can hold them in their laps where the image will be much clearer than a ceiling or headrest mounted screen. They will also be able to change DVDs, adjust the volume, screen angle, etc by themselves without bothering you. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.
I'm guessing the OP doesn't want portables. 1000+ sounds a little high for the headrests. I seem to remember seeing some nice leather ones for $400ish each at a Ford dealer. These days maybe that could be negotiated into a vehicle price, just like floor mats, mudguards, etc?

OP, are you looking for a new or used suv? just curious..
× < >