• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 7:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes

Smart door lock reviews

Hey everyone. I’m looking at getting a smart lock to replace my door handle and lock system currently from the original builder from 5 years ago. Not sure what is reliable, durable and reputable.

Any recommendations and who has one installed already? How is it? What are your concerns? I am completely new at this smart lock tech.

Thanks for your input.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
23 replies
Jun 11, 2010
397 posts
177 upvotes
ottawa
bobbings wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:51 pm
Hey everyone. I’m looking at getting a smart lock to replace my door handle and lock system currently from the original builder from 5 years ago. Not sure what is reliable, durable and reputable.

Any recommendations and who has one installed already? How is it? What are your concerns? I am completely new at this smart lock tech.

Thanks for your input.
I just installed the kwikset 912 and it's been rock solid. Integrates with smartthings and then into home assistant. Smartthings has this sweet 'smart door lock' smartapp so you can change the codes directly through the app.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes
barqers wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:57 pm
I just installed the kwikset 912 and it's been rock solid. Integrates with smartthings and then into home assistant. Smartthings has this sweet 'smart door lock' smartapp so you can change the codes directly through the app.
Is it reliant on the company supporting the product in order for it to work? Similar to the smart home monitoring device which requires subscription for remote and online monitoring.

If the company closes down, will these smart features continue to work or are we tied to the company forever?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 11, 2010
397 posts
177 upvotes
ottawa
bobbings wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:06 pm
Is it reliant on the company supporting the product in order for it to work? Similar to the smart home monitoring device which requires subscription for remote and online monitoring.

If the company closes down, will these smart features continue to work or are we tied to the company forever?
It's z-wave so reliant on whatever z-wave hub or usb stick you use. What do you currently have as a system may help someone point you in the right direction.

Edit: It can also be used as a 'dumb' keyless entry.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1842 posts
342 upvotes
Whitby
bobbings wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for your input.
Do you currently have a handle and a separate deadbolt, or just a handle with built in lock?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes
kryton619 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 5:52 pm
Do you currently have a handle and a separate deadbolt, or just a handle with built in lock?
The two are separate but I need to replace the doorknob as well. It’s breaking.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes
barqers wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 4:19 pm
It's z-wave so reliant on whatever z-wave hub or usb stick you use. What do you currently have as a system may help someone point you in the right direction.

Edit: It can also be used as a 'dumb' keyless entry.
The main use is to not need a key when I’m home. I guess by “dumb” you mean it’s still useable to unlock within Bluetooth range?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 11, 2010
397 posts
177 upvotes
ottawa
bobbings wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:04 pm
The main use is to not need a key when I’m home. I guess by “dumb” you mean it’s still useable to unlock within Bluetooth range?
well this one is a z-wave lock so it would need to be paired with a hub like smartthings or z-wave stick with home assistant for example. By dumb you get still use the keycode or key to get in :)

If you want a bluetooth lock, the best one right now is the august version 2 deadbolt. Very reputable.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes
barqers wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:15 pm
well this one is a z-wave lock so it would need to be paired with a hub like smartthings or z-wave stick with home assistant for example. By dumb you get still use the keycode or key to get in :)

If you want a bluetooth lock, the best one right now is the august version 2 deadbolt. Very reputable.
Thank you. Going to look into your recommendations.

Very helpful advice. Appreciate it.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes
Also, no issues with cold or hot temperatures? With winters going to minus 35 with windchill, will it freeze and not work?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 11, 2010
397 posts
177 upvotes
ottawa
bobbings wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:18 pm
Also, no issues with cold or hot temperatures? With winters going to minus 35 with windchill, will it freeze and not work?
At least on these two the motor and the batteries are on the inside, so mine have been fine! If you have a door with very little insulating value it may get cold, but probably unlikely.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1842 posts
342 upvotes
Whitby
bobbings wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:03 pm
The two are separate but I need to replace the doorknob as well. It’s breaking.
I bought the Schlage Camelot lock and the matching handle almost a year ago. While I wanted a smart lock, I also wanted a good known name brand with a grade 1 security rating. It has been great, no problems so far. https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE469NXCA ... ge+camelot
Jul 18, 2007
120 posts
15 upvotes
London
I have a schlage sense and I'm very happy with it. I haven't tried another brand but I have no reason to switch. I use it for my airbnb and adding/deleting user codes is very easy. It tracks when the door is locked/unlocked and by which user (which my guests know). Since installing it about 3-4 months ago, the battery is only down to 95%. No issues with cold temperatures.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2000 posts
188 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
We have 2 exterior doors and for Christmas we received August Smart Lock Pros to put on them. We have been very happy with them so far. The benefit for us was that we already had both doors keyed the same, and our garage as well so we can continue to use the same key on all these doors when needed but take advantage of the smart functions since you simply swap the thumb screw inside and the deadbolt itself remains the same. The install is crazy easy and took all of 5-7 minutes tops. The price isn't cheap for sure and there are probably cheaper options but I have been very happy. As was stated before the batteries are indoors, well in the case of August locks everything is inside the home so no problems with that. They integrated nicely with our SmartThings and have been very reliable in terms of auto unlocking when we arrive home, auto locking when we leave and checking the status remotely. One of our locks did have an issue with critical battery level notifications 1 week after replacement but I contacted August via Facebook and they responded same day and pushed a firmware update to the lock and resolved it. The resolution was very quick and it was great customer service in my books. These are the only smart locks I have personal experience with but I highly recommend them from my experience.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7090 posts
313 upvotes
Thanks for all the feedback. I went with the August Smart Lock pro with the bridge and have set it up last night. Working well except the bridge which allows remote access isn’t working and I think it’s our weak internet WiFi connection.

Pretty quick to install and works well except during installation, I ran into a little bit of trouble as there are two brackets that stick out and once i hook it up to the door, I snap it back into the actual lock to lock it in. The issue is the door lock is close to the window frame within my door which caused some issues trying to clamp it on. Other than that, it was a very easy install.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!