[Smart] Smart [ONT] Smart Electric Drive - $19K OTR

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 7:20 pm
May 12, 2017
153 posts
78 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:38 am
He's spreading propaganda that's the problem.
True, Smart is a near extinct car.
May 15, 2015
29 posts
37 upvotes
Guelph, ON
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:38 am
He's spreading propaganda that's the problem.
I would certainly not call it propaganda. The OP is passionate about EVs and provides information to whoever would like to read it. Seeing someone passionate about something is a good thing. Seeing someone passionate about something and is very well informed is even better.

3 years ago I noticed the original Smart Fortwo Electric Edition $99 lease deal and read the entire thread, including the OP's messages. I found the information to be helpful and ended up leasing one myself, it filled the gap while I wait for the Tesla Model 3 to be released. Everything the OP said about the Smart car was bang on. I am grateful for all of his will informed posts.

Just keep in mind the Fortwo will not meet all use cases, if it's not for you just move on.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13472 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto
flaming homer wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:26 am
Prior to my post #142 OP has posted 45 out of 141 posts - 31.9% percent of the posts are coming from OP. That makes it really difficult for any other kind of opinion and discussion to develop. Say more with less posts, is that possible ?

For example, 2017 Nissan Leaf being only 1K more than Smart EV, that's a significant alternative, but no further discussion after that
Post percentages prove other opinions are not possible, especially since most are replies to other posts. So does this mean the OP should not reply to others or to attacks so he can keep his percentage low? :facepalm:
The OP is passionate about this car, good for him, are we so closed minded and shaming that we must attack someone who has passion for a new technology? According to many the answer is apparently yes. :rolleyes:
Anyone who doesn't like this car or EVs are not forced to read this thread, yet i assume i will now be attacked for making this post because pointing out inconvenient facts and daring to not join attackers is verboten (though very few will admit it). :facepalm: :rolleyes:
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Smart does have some active safety technology:

1. Cross wind assist. Prevents car from wandering in lane with cross wind. Proven Mercedes tech.

2. Radar based recuperation. Increases regeneration to maximum when radar detects traffic ahead:
https://www.daimler.com/innovation/effi ... drive.html
In overrun mode or when braking the vehicle's kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy – this is called recuperation. The radar-based recuperation, which is active in the basic transmission mode, is anticipatory. The traffic situation is monitored with a radar sensor and a recuperation level that suits the current situation is selected.

Agreed that new Leaf and Tesla 3 will blow away the Smart for this. I have a Tesla 3 reservation myself, precisely because I want a capable highway car to replace our 2013 Tesla S which has no active safety tech because it's an old 2013 model before auto pilot was released.

As a counter point, in the city, urban environment, lane keep assist is not really tech I would care to pay extra for on a Smart car, I mean really, I'm driving 60 km/h maximum, keeping within the lane is pretty much something you need to do manually, no cars today have city-based active auto pilot, they all talk about highways.
Feb 12, 2016
47 posts
20 upvotes
IMO, get into an accident even with all the airbags etc will not save your life when there is no crumple zone to help take some of that energy away from your body. Getting into an accident even in normal sized vehicles is real hard on a body. No need to add more just to save some thing we human tend to idolize 'Money". I would rather pay more and have more vehicle around me.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2497 posts
377 upvotes
GTA
Thanks SmartElectric, I'm looking for an ubran commuter car as well, at about 30 KM each day, so the Smart EV fits my needs. Given that I "could" have had the 2017 Leaf for just $1K more and gain 2 more seats, I do have my doubts about getting the Smart now. Just came across an (Engadget ?) review of the 2018 Leaf review and it was meh

Originally for me I was very much looking forward to the Smart EV becoming available this year so I can trade in and go EV for this winter, but I think now I'll wait a bit and hope that they would offer it in some kind of lease package that's about the same as the price of a TTC Metropass.. fingers crossed
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4222 posts
2074 upvotes
Kitchener
flaming homer wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
Thanks SmartElectric, I'm looking for an ubran commuter car as well, at about 30 KM each day, so the Smart EV fits my needs. Given that I "could" have had the 2017 Leaf for just $1K more and gain 2 more seats, I do have my doubts about getting the Smart now. Just came across an (Engadget ?) review of the 2018 Leaf review and it was meh
At the MSRP, the Leaf is fairly competitive, not amazing, but certainly not terrible at all compared to gasoline cars at that price range. With the Ontario incentive, you'd be crazy not to be reserving one right now. I just got a call from my dealer today confirming my reservation (and my dad's) for the 2018 Leaf. I believe we'll both go for at least SV's ($39500 before incentive) to get Pro Pilot functionality (good for single lane autonomous highway driving), navigation and rims.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1031 posts
131 upvotes
Burlington, ON
IntrepidRT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:17 pm
At the MSRP, the Leaf is fairly competitive, not amazing, but certainly not terrible at all compared to gasoline cars at that price range. With the Ontario incentive, you'd be crazy not to be reserving one right now. I just got a call from my dealer today confirming my reservation (and my dad's) for the 2018 Leaf. I believe we'll both go for at least SV's ($39500 before incentive) to get Pro Pilot functionality (good for single lane autonomous highway driving), navigation and rims.
Any idea when they will arrive?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4222 posts
2074 upvotes
Kitchener
flyboy320 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:42 pm
Any idea when they will arrive?
Sounding like some time in early 2018 for Canada.
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
That's a lot cheaper than a Bolt- Bolt base model is 43,095 + 1800 Freight and A/C tax = 44,895 . I think within 3-5 years the Chinese auto industry will have brought the price of electric cars to same or cheaper than gasoline powered cars so don't count on any resale value for what you buy today.
IntrepidRT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great review.
Covers many more items than some other reviews.
Jan 8, 2009
580 posts
87 upvotes
Ontario
NoWayHosEH wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:05 pm
IMO, get into an accident even with all the airbags etc will not save your life when there is no crumple zone to help take some of that energy away from your body. Getting into an accident even in normal sized vehicles is real hard on a body. No need to add more just to save some thing we human tend to idolize 'Money". I would rather pay more and have more vehicle around me.
There is a video online where one of the older Smart cars is driven at 112km/hr into a concrete block and afterwards the passenger door still opens and closes!
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1031 posts
131 upvotes
Burlington, ON
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:22 pm
2018 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive
Which dealer did you deal with? I've been into my local MB when servicing my B250 to ask them about the Smart, and they seem very uninterested in selling this car. Basically said put down a deposit and you might get it in a few months, shame really, it's like they are anti-selling it.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13472 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto
flyboy320 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:38 pm
Which dealer did you deal with? I've been into my local MB when servicing my B250 to ask them about the Smart, and they seem very uninterested in selling this car. Basically said put down a deposit and you might get it in a few months, shame really, it's like they are anti-selling it.
Not unlikely, low profit margin and automakers are mostly making EVs as compliance cars or because Tesla has them scared.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jul 5, 2017
66 posts
21 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:00 am
A VERY useful post. This is basically the reason why I'm skipping the Bolt in favour of the new Leaf and Model 3.
How many kms does leaf give? and how many does Bolt give?