[Smart] Smart [ONT] Smart Electric Drive - $19K OTR

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 7:20 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The 2017 Leaf deal right now is $3000 discount and is just about sold out now, existing inventory is slim, wishing folks well on their search.

The Smart ED coupe, is $3500 less than the 2017 Leaf's build it now price on Nissan.ca.
My price will include at least a $2500 discount, so it's quite a bit cheaper ($6K) than a new (old) Leaf.
Jan 8, 2009
576 posts
85 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:29 pm
He leased four years and rebate entitlement is fully completed over the first three years.
It is my understanding that although a lease has to be at least three years to get the full rebate the vehicle must be kept the full term of the lease (e.g. 3yrs or 4yrs) in order to avoid paying back in FULL the amount of rebate received.
Feb 26, 2010
85 posts
24 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Hi OP,

How are you getting the additional $2500 discount? Just based on unhaggle numbers, it doesn't look like they'll be willing to offer that steep of a discount. I still have my 2014 smartie and have placed an order for the 2018 but have yet to negotiate my deal. Need to get all the help I can since I love the car but it seems like the monthly payments are a lot more than back in 2014.

Thanks
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:33 pm
The 2017 Leaf deal right now is $3000 discount and is just about sold out now, existing inventory is slim, wishing folks well on their search.

The Smart ED coupe, is $3500 less than the 2017 Leaf's build it now price on Nissan.ca.
My price will include at least a $2500 discount, so it's quite a bit cheaper ($6K) than a new (old) Leaf.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
As I stated a few times:

$2000 discount.
$500 Smart owner loyalty

I've put down $2000 deposit on a mostly loaded coupe with $3000 in options...so that might have helped on the discount.

I told dealer sales rep that this is a starting point for negotiation and that I got $4000 in discount+loyalty on my 2013 purchase and expect somewhere in that range this time as well.
Jul 25, 2006
54 posts
2 upvotes
Hi OP,

Do you know if the tires/rims of the old Smartcar will fit on this new model?
Sep 16, 2017
5 posts
I see the calculation only take into account $1200 destination charge. Where can I buy this car with only $1200 destination charge? There is no PDI/admin fee/AC tax and other fees for this car

Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Called Midtown Mercedes this week, they are expecting Smart ED in November.
The initial allotment is sold out.
There are further non-initial orders already in their pipeline.
Orders today will be months till delivery.
Not expecting to stock inventory in 2017, as their pipeline already consumes most of the cars they had prepared to order.

As for my own order, looks like November delivery.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2524 posts
211 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Still no delivery estimate or price for our convertible. I've been looking at other EV/hybrid cars with no luck either. Everything seems to be unavailable
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1028 posts
131 upvotes
Burlington, ON
SmartElectric wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 5:03 pm
FYI

But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!
How does leasing the car force the dealership to apply for the rebate for you? I have an order for an e-Golf and plan on leasing, and the dealership said I have to apply for the rebate myself.
Aug 16, 2017
8 posts
13 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Yes, if you lease - just have them fill out Section D of the form for the dealership/leasing co to collect the rebate.
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... /2096E.pdf
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13459 posts
3356 upvotes
Toronto
SmartElectric wrote:
FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
They really want to do as little as possible for their commission...
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Update : Dealer will not do the rebate at all, neither for cash purchase, or lease.

So, my option is to use my 2013 Smart ED trade in allowance as the downpayment on the lease, and apply for the rebate myself.
The difference will be slightly higher monthly cost, but I get a cheque for $13K in 6 months (judging by current rebate delays).
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Update: Lease option on new 2018 Smart Electric Drive coupe with black and green (special color + option) + led + touch screen audio and pano roof upgrade.

$31K purchase price (MSRP + $3000 options - $2500 dealer discount)
36 months and 54000 km allowed
2.9% finance rate
$13K residual
$13K downpayment (effectively I need to put up this amount and apply for rebate to get it back)

= $250/month taxes included for 36 months

This is reasonable, as I have effectively paid $220/month to own my Smart ED over 4 years including purchase, taxes and interest minus trade in.
I am not sure I can beat this by purchasing outright and selling later...lease might be the way to go this time...