• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 7:20 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1233 posts
191 upvotes
Burlington, ON
SmartElectric wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 5:03 pm
FYI

But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!
How does leasing the car force the dealership to apply for the rebate for you? I have an order for an e-Golf and plan on leasing, and the dealership said I have to apply for the rebate myself.
Aug 16, 2017
35 posts
34 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Yes, if you lease - just have them fill out Section D of the form for the dealership/leasing co to collect the rebate.
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... /2096E.pdf
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15035 posts
4336 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
They really want to do as little as possible for their commission...
The beatings will continue until morale improves
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Update : Dealer will not do the rebate at all, neither for cash purchase, or lease.

So, my option is to use my 2013 Smart ED trade in allowance as the downpayment on the lease, and apply for the rebate myself.
The difference will be slightly higher monthly cost, but I get a cheque for $13K in 6 months (judging by current rebate delays).
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Update: Lease option on new 2018 Smart Electric Drive coupe with black and green (special color + option) + led + touch screen audio and pano roof upgrade.

$31K purchase price (MSRP + $3000 options - $2500 dealer discount)
36 months and 54000 km allowed
2.9% finance rate
$13K residual
$13K downpayment (effectively I need to put up this amount and apply for rebate to get it back)

= $250/month taxes included for 36 months

This is reasonable, as I have effectively paid $220/month to own my Smart ED over 4 years including purchase, taxes and interest minus trade in.
I am not sure I can beat this by purchasing outright and selling later...lease might be the way to go this time...
May 23, 2008
547 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
My dealer processed the rebate - but I don't have green plates yet since MB hasn't completed registering the new EDs for the program!
May be why they are balking.
I've had mine for 6 weeks now.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1908 posts
782 upvotes
Ontario
Talked to someone at VW and they have a policy of not applying for the rebate on the buyers behalf and reducing lease rates accordingly. The reason is that if the lease payments are not met and the car is repossessed, or if the car is otherwise disposed of during the lease term, the rebate has to be paid back to the government by the dealer and so the dealer would be potentially out of pocket $13k or $14k. This is a risk that other brand dealers seem to have overlooked.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Avignon wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 6:26 pm

I've had mine for 6 weeks now.
Pics or it didn't happen! :-)
I'll post mine next week when I pick it up.
Apr 5, 2016
557 posts
1006 upvotes
BC
For BC trying to be the "Green Capital of the World" << LoL ~ I'm surprised we don't get any good deals (that I'm aware of) on electric vehicles (especially like the rebates you get in ONT).
Koodo $40/6GB + $45/10GB Public Mobile $8/50min Shaw 150 Tangerine Bank
I have provided consulting services to Bell, Virgin, Rogers, Fido, Telus and Koodo, as well as many major financial institutions in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5162 posts
1773 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ChiliPalmer wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:07 pm
For BC trying to be the "Green Capital of the World" << LoL ~ I'm surprised we don't get any good deals (that I'm aware of) on electric vehicles (especially like the rebates you get in ONT).
BC does have rebates, they're just not as large as Ontario's:
https://www.cevforbc.ca/eligible-cevfor ... 2-vehicles

Max is $5K.

Gas is also more expensive in BC, so you save more versus a gas car.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's real, and it's awesome. Took delivery today.

Ref:
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2838 posts
229 upvotes
As a current lessee of the 2015 Smart ED Coupe obtain from the 2014 program, my renew lease cost has increase significantly.
The range of my 2015 is 109km as per Natural Resources Canada which can be found here:
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan ... hicles.csv
The 2017 version range is TBD for Natural Resources Canada but as per Smart, its 95km city. It is to my understanding the same battery and motor. The overall design is the same, there might be minor changes to the software but the changes are minimal.
My current 2015 lease is $106 (HST included) per month with the program back in 2014.

Attach is a quote for my 2018, MSRP has increase slightly, several promotions are no longer available, MTO incentive has increased from $8,500 to $13,000 (in Ontario), residual percentage is similar.

Conclusion...No deal
Images
  • smart.jpg
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Any claims "the 2017 is the same car as the 2013-2016 with a facelift" do not match the facts.

The 2017 model is a complete redesign, and vastly different, motor (from Renault not Bosch), tech (7" touch screen), charging (2x faster), the list goes on. I don't even consider the two cars comparable.

My 2013 Smart ED was "basic transportation" and you'd better like the go-cart handling and modest interior appointments for your $150/month.

The 2017 Smart ED is better in every possible way.
Just my experience after my first 60 km of driving, the car is more efficient, the heated steering wheel helps in these colder temps!

Agree, lease cost is higher.
$250/month taxes included is a fair price for what you get in this car IMHO.

Mine has touch screen, backup camera, navigation and modern car audio with bluetooth.
As for the driving experience, the smoothness of the suspension is a major improvement.

Will provide full review in a few weeks as I experience the car more.

Examples of the nuances I will speak to, I immediately noticed that the new 2017 Smart transitions from full acceleration to full deceleration very smoothly, whereas the 2013 Smart had an abrupt transition start, and then smoothed out later on.
Last edited by SmartElectric on Oct 27th, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11342 posts
1763 upvotes
RFD
Tell and show us more Smiling Face With Sunglasses
SmartElectric wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:50 pm
It's real, and it's awesome. Took delivery today.

Ref: