Hot Deals

[Smart] Smart [ONT] Smart Electric Drive - $19K OTR

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 11:04 am
May 23, 2008
451 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
My dealer processed the rebate - but I don't have green plates yet since MB hasn't completed registering the new EDs for the program!
May be why they are balking.
I've had mine for 6 weeks now.
Jan 8, 2009
576 posts
85 upvotes
Ontario
Talked to someone at VW and they have a policy of not applying for the rebate on the buyers behalf and reducing lease rates accordingly. The reason is that if the lease payments are not met and the car is repossessed, or if the car is otherwise disposed of during the lease term, the rebate has to be paid back to the government by the dealer and so the dealer would be potentially out of pocket $13k or $14k. This is a risk that other brand dealers seem to have overlooked.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Avignon wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 6:26 pm

I've had mine for 6 weeks now.
Pics or it didn't happen! :-)
I'll post mine next week when I pick it up.
Apr 5, 2016
214 posts
176 upvotes
BC
For BC trying to be the "Green Capital of the World" << LoL ~ I'm surprised we don't get any good deals (that I'm aware of) on electric vehicles (especially like the rebates you get in ONT).
Zoomer Wireless = 2+ years
Tangerine = 10+ years
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4170 posts
1171 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ChiliPalmer wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:07 pm
For BC trying to be the "Green Capital of the World" << LoL ~ I'm surprised we don't get any good deals (that I'm aware of) on electric vehicles (especially like the rebates you get in ONT).
BC does have rebates, they're just not as large as Ontario's:
https://www.cevforbc.ca/eligible-cevfor ... 2-vehicles

Max is $5K.

Gas is also more expensive in BC, so you save more versus a gas car.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's real, and it's awesome. Took delivery today.

Ref:
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2738 posts
195 upvotes
As a current lessee of the 2015 Smart ED Coupe obtain from the 2014 program, my renew lease cost has increase significantly.
The range of my 2015 is 109km as per Natural Resources Canada which can be found here:
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan ... hicles.csv
The 2017 version range is TBD for Natural Resources Canada but as per Smart, its 95km city. It is to my understanding the same battery and motor. The overall design is the same, there might be minor changes to the software but the changes are minimal.
My current 2015 lease is $106 (HST included) per month with the program back in 2014.

Attach is a quote for my 2018, MSRP has increase slightly, several promotions are no longer available, MTO incentive has increased from $8,500 to $13,000 (in Ontario), residual percentage is similar.

Conclusion...No deal
Images
  • smart.jpg
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Any claims "the 2017 is the same car as the 2013-2016 with a facelift" do not match the facts.

The 2017 model is a complete redesign, and vastly different, motor (from Renault not Bosch), tech (7" touch screen), charging (2x faster), the list goes on. I don't even consider the two cars comparable.

My 2013 Smart ED was "basic transportation" and you'd better like the go-cart handling and modest interior appointments for your $150/month.

The 2017 Smart ED is better in every possible way.
Just my experience after my first 60 km of driving, the car is more efficient, the heated steering wheel helps in these colder temps!

Agree, lease cost is higher.
$250/month taxes included is a fair price for what you get in this car IMHO.

Mine has touch screen, backup camera, navigation and modern car audio with bluetooth.
As for the driving experience, the smoothness of the suspension is a major improvement.

Will provide full review in a few weeks as I experience the car more.

Examples of the nuances I will speak to, I immediately noticed that the new 2017 Smart transitions from full acceleration to full deceleration very smoothly, whereas the 2013 Smart had an abrupt transition start, and then smoothed out later on.
Last edited by SmartElectric on Oct 27th, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9017 posts
581 upvotes
Mississauga
Tell and show us more Smiling Face With Sunglasses
SmartElectric wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:50 pm
It's real, and it's awesome. Took delivery today.

Ref:
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2738 posts
195 upvotes
So numbers...

74 hp increased to 80 hp
96 lb-ft increased to 118 lb-ft
On-board charger increase from a 3.3kW unit to 7kW unit should in theory make charging faster. However if you are using the standard charger that came with the vehicle here in North America which is 110v input, this makes no differences as the output of that charge is not even close to 3kW.

With the new motor, increased performance, but the same battery, it is no surprised that the RANGE of this vehicle is LESS then the previous gen.
Sure its a better design car, the previous generation (which I am still driving) is a go kart, bumpy, stiff, and in many ways, pretty outdated design.

However with the increased MSRP, less incentive from Mercedes (at the moment), even with the increased MTO incentive (in Ontario), it's still hard to convince on getting the 2018 Smart Electric.

The most important is the RANGE! that is the number ONE issue with electric cars and smart did not just not looked into the problem, with the new motor but keeping the same battery, they have made it worst.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a standard route I drive to work daily, I will know within a week if the new Smart ED is more efficient and therefore has greater range.
I've read on the Smart car forum that the EPA range calculation is different in 2017 vs when the original 2013 ED was released, so the numbers aren't directly comparable.

FYI

Early impressions:

I "hear that" the top speed is 135 km/h, and that at this speed, the car is perfectly stable, and doesn't wobble around like the older model Smart ED ... Smiling Face With Sunglasses
The 7" touch screen is responsive, and it took me a few hours of playing with it last night to configure my phone, bluetooth audio and navigation favorites.
There is an option to make a audible (but not annoying) sound when the car detects you are speeding.
The only way I could be happier with the upgrade is if Smart had made a major improvement in performance, as it is, the smoothness of the driving experience compensates, it's a totally different car to drive.

Now that the Smart ED has a faster L2 charging system, I will be buying a 32A capable charging cord for my garage, I've lived with 120V 12A for 4 years
It occurs to me that I might be driving this Smart ED on longer 200 km/day trips now that I can drive, charge at destination and get home, nice!

Cheers
May 23, 2008
451 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
achc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 11:54 am
So numbers...

On-board charger increase from a 3.3kW unit to 7kW unit should in theory make charging faster. However if you are using the standard charger that came with the vehicle here in North America which is 110v input, this makes no differences as the output of that charge is not even close to 3kW.

With the new motor, increased performance, but the same battery, it is no surprised that the RANGE of this vehicle is LESS then the previous gen.

The most important is the RANGE! that is the number ONE issue with electric cars and smart did not just not looked into the problem, with the new motor but keeping the same battery, they have made it worst.
I've had mine for almost 2 months.
Charging on my 240V 40A charger takes less than half the time of my previous 2014 ED.

Range on the 2014 was 114 km.
On the 2017 it reads 150 km with ECO on. It took about a week of charging to stabilize there.
I'm not sure if mine is programmed with the European algorithm or the EPA.
But we're definitely getting significantly better range in real world driving.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2738 posts
195 upvotes
So lots of post here stating MB won't work out the MTO incentive which means lessee/buyer will have to pay an extra $13,000 up front. I am no exception here working with one of the corporate owned MB dealership. This breaks the deal as it used to be a 0 down vehicle. Now I have to spare $13,000 and wait (not sure how long it takes to process) to get my money back.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
May 23, 2008
451 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
achc wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:34 am
So lots of post here stating MB won't work out the MTO incentive which means lessee/buyer will have to pay an extra $13,000 up front. I am no exception here working with one of the corporate owned MB dealership. This breaks the deal as it used to be a 0 down vehicle. Now I have to spare $13,000 and wait (not sure how long it takes to process) to get my money back.
Yes - I got my ED beginning of September- when I went in last week to get my green plates re-installed my dealer told me I was the last one to have the rebate handled by Mercedes, due to a policy change. This was at a MB company dealership in Toronto .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9017 posts
581 upvotes
Mississauga
Avignon wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:43 am
Yes - I got my ED beginning of September- when I went in last week to get my green plates re-installed my dealer told me I was the last one to have the rebate handled by Mercedes, due to a policy change. This was at a MB company dealership in Toronto .
Lot of dealers are getting scared now due to the backlog and uncertainty of getting it, more of the backlog and cash up front they have to absorb.