• Nov 21st, 2017 7:20 pm
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2821 posts
222 upvotes
So numbers...

74 hp increased to 80 hp
96 lb-ft increased to 118 lb-ft
On-board charger increase from a 3.3kW unit to 7kW unit should in theory make charging faster. However if you are using the standard charger that came with the vehicle here in North America which is 110v input, this makes no differences as the output of that charge is not even close to 3kW.

With the new motor, increased performance, but the same battery, it is no surprised that the RANGE of this vehicle is LESS then the previous gen.
Sure its a better design car, the previous generation (which I am still driving) is a go kart, bumpy, stiff, and in many ways, pretty outdated design.

However with the increased MSRP, less incentive from Mercedes (at the moment), even with the increased MTO incentive (in Ontario), it's still hard to convince on getting the 2018 Smart Electric.

The most important is the RANGE! that is the number ONE issue with electric cars and smart did not just not looked into the problem, with the new motor but keeping the same battery, they have made it worst.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
637 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a standard route I drive to work daily, I will know within a week if the new Smart ED is more efficient and therefore has greater range.
I've read on the Smart car forum that the EPA range calculation is different in 2017 vs when the original 2013 ED was released, so the numbers aren't directly comparable.

FYI

Early impressions:

I "hear that" the top speed is 135 km/h, and that at this speed, the car is perfectly stable, and doesn't wobble around like the older model Smart ED ... Smiling Face With Sunglasses
The 7" touch screen is responsive, and it took me a few hours of playing with it last night to configure my phone, bluetooth audio and navigation favorites.
There is an option to make a audible (but not annoying) sound when the car detects you are speeding.
The only way I could be happier with the upgrade is if Smart had made a major improvement in performance, as it is, the smoothness of the driving experience compensates, it's a totally different car to drive.

Now that the Smart ED has a faster L2 charging system, I will be buying a 32A capable charging cord for my garage, I've lived with 120V 12A for 4 years
It occurs to me that I might be driving this Smart ED on longer 200 km/day trips now that I can drive, charge at destination and get home, nice!

Cheers
May 23, 2008
525 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
achc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 11:54 am
So numbers...

On-board charger increase from a 3.3kW unit to 7kW unit should in theory make charging faster. However if you are using the standard charger that came with the vehicle here in North America which is 110v input, this makes no differences as the output of that charge is not even close to 3kW.

With the new motor, increased performance, but the same battery, it is no surprised that the RANGE of this vehicle is LESS then the previous gen.

The most important is the RANGE! that is the number ONE issue with electric cars and smart did not just not looked into the problem, with the new motor but keeping the same battery, they have made it worst.
I've had mine for almost 2 months.
Charging on my 240V 40A charger takes less than half the time of my previous 2014 ED.

Range on the 2014 was 114 km.
On the 2017 it reads 150 km with ECO on. It took about a week of charging to stabilize there.
I'm not sure if mine is programmed with the European algorithm or the EPA.
But we're definitely getting significantly better range in real world driving.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2821 posts
222 upvotes
So lots of post here stating MB won't work out the MTO incentive which means lessee/buyer will have to pay an extra $13,000 up front. I am no exception here working with one of the corporate owned MB dealership. This breaks the deal as it used to be a 0 down vehicle. Now I have to spare $13,000 and wait (not sure how long it takes to process) to get my money back.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
May 23, 2008
525 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
achc wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:34 am
So lots of post here stating MB won't work out the MTO incentive which means lessee/buyer will have to pay an extra $13,000 up front. I am no exception here working with one of the corporate owned MB dealership. This breaks the deal as it used to be a 0 down vehicle. Now I have to spare $13,000 and wait (not sure how long it takes to process) to get my money back.
Yes - I got my ED beginning of September- when I went in last week to get my green plates re-installed my dealer told me I was the last one to have the rebate handled by Mercedes, due to a policy change. This was at a MB company dealership in Toronto .
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11013 posts
1515 upvotes
RFD
Avignon wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:43 am
Yes - I got my ED beginning of September- when I went in last week to get my green plates re-installed my dealer told me I was the last one to have the rebate handled by Mercedes, due to a policy change. This was at a MB company dealership in Toronto .
Lot of dealers are getting scared now due to the backlog and uncertainty of getting it, more of the backlog and cash up front they have to absorb.
Oct 18, 2017
3 posts
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:50 am
Lot of dealers are getting scared now due to the backlog and uncertainty of getting it, more of the backlog and cash up front they have to absorb.
So much I'd like to lease a EV. but this certainly makes buying/leasing a EV much more difficult.

How many families out there have the capability of saving $14k up front for down payment?

Otherwise paying for a much higher monthly leasing cost, which means more interests.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
637 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You don't need to save the money up front, you could get a short term loan, or use a line of credit.
At 3% interest, the 6 month loan of $13000 is ~$200.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2712 posts
285 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
My dealer hasn't mentioned not apply for the rebate at all. It's actually in the quote. If they don't apply I don't buy!! (Or lease in my case)
Oct 18, 2017
3 posts
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 8:37 pm
You don't need to save the money up front, you could get a short term loan, or use a line of credit.
At 3% interest, the 6 month loan of $13000 is ~$200.
would the dealership be willing to loan that money on a promote rate (like 0.9 or 1.9% something)?

and how long does it take for Ontario government process the rebate recently? 6 months?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5613 posts
252 upvotes
Picking up one today and dealership is not processing the rebate. I am shelling out the cash up front and will report back once I get the rebate.
Feedbacks: HF | Heatware
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
637 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
First few weeks with the new Smart ED.
Averaging 20 kWh/100 km over the first 700+ km in November here in Ontario.

Drove 80 km yesterday with -5C temperatures and snow conditions and arrived home with 10% (~10 km) remaining.
Had cabin heat on 25C, heated seats on for driver and passenger, did 40 km of that on 400 series highways at 110 km/h on cruise control.
VERY IMPRESSED, love the new heated steering wheel.

This is a real car, handles well on the highway, lots of power for passing, regenerative braking is smooth.

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4559 posts
2272 upvotes
Kitchener
cy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:25 am
Picking up one today and dealership is not processing the rebate. I am shelling out the cash up front and will report back once I get the rebate.
Well, that will take a few months......4 months maybe?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2712 posts
285 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Dealer is processing rebate on the lease for me. Car is set to be built in January and delivered in March. I have been trying since August to get it ordered (Cabrio)

Snag is now they won't deliver it to me like the first one. Car won't make it here on a charge (170km) Contemplating cancelling and going with the ioniq. Same time frame for delivery except local.

However lease vs own. Must decide soon.
Last edited by hyperactiveme on Nov 16th, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11013 posts
1515 upvotes
RFD
Looks so nice, you must get a lot of attraction. I love the looks of it.
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 4:53 pm
First few weeks with the new Smart ED.
Averaging 20 kWh/100 km over the first 700+ km in November here in Ontario.

Drove 80 km yesterday with -5C temperatures and snow conditions and arrived home with 10% (~10 km) remaining.
Had cabin heat on 25C, heated seats on for driver and passenger, did 40 km of that on 400 series highways at 110 km/h on cruise control.
VERY IMPRESSED, love the new heated steering wheel.

This is a real car, handles well on the highway, lots of power for passing, regenerative braking is smooth.