• Nov 21st, 2017 7:20 pm
Jan 20, 2011
68 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 4:53 pm
First few weeks with the new Smart ED.
Averaging 20 kWh/100 km over the first 700+ km in November here in Ontario.

Drove 80 km yesterday with -5C temperatures and snow conditions and arrived home with 10% (~10 km) remaining.
Had cabin heat on 25C, heated seats on for driver and passenger, did 40 km of that on 400 series highways at 110 km/h on cruise control.
VERY IMPRESSED, love the new heated steering wheel.

This is a real car, handles well on the highway, lots of power for passing, regenerative braking is smooth.

Thanks for the review. Love the spec. What is the charge time with a charger vs a wall plug?

One question I would like to know is, My drive to work is 24km (20km is on qew) drive takes 20min to work but can be up to 1.5 hours on the way home.
How is range in stop and go toronto traffic druing bad weather/rush hour/a car accident?

Thanks
Feb 8, 2013
111 posts
17 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 2:39 am
Dealer is processing rebate on the lease for me. Car is set to be built in January and delivered in March. I have been trying since August to get it ordered (Cabrio)

Snag is now they won't deliver it to me like the first one. Car won't make it here on a charge (170km) Contemplating cancelling and going with the ioniq. Same time frame for delivery except local.

However lease vs own. Must decide soon.
Which MB dealer is processing the rebate? Thought none of them were anymore, which is the reason I'm likely going to move on.......

Kev
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
617 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
oKAVEMANo wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:42 am
What is the charge time with a charger vs a wall plug?
My drive to work is 24km (20km is on qew) drive takes 20min to work but can be up to 1.5 hours on the way home.
How is range in stop and go toronto traffic druing bad weather/rush hour/a car accident?
A 60 km daily round-trip commute is no problem in any weather based on my experience with the 2013 and now 2017.
The majority of the energy usage is moving the car, averaging 17 kWh/100 km, meaning a 100 km range normally with no cabin heating.
When sitting in traffic, the car averages use of 10% of the battery capacity to heat the cabin for each hour in traffic going nowhere.
Summer is even easier, air conditioning is far less energy intensive than heating, and for sure, the cabin is so small, it's pretty easy to heat/cool.
Heated seat and steering wheel is super convenient, I pretty much use it all the time, except for 23C days and above.

Car charges much (3x or better) faster on 240V 32A vs the 120V 12A wall plug. Easy math, 7kW vs 1.5kW.
Personally, I've driven 30000 km on 120V charging with my two Smart ED's, my daily average is 50 km round trip.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
617 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Backup camera :

Bad

Takes 2 seconds for the touch screen to switch to backup camera upon putting car in reverse.
The screen goes through a set of flashes until camera shows the image.

For comparison, the backup camera in our Tesla shows up in a tenth of a second and the screen smoothly transitions to show the camera view, even if I have some other screen (nav, music, browser, etc) maximized.

Good

Backup camera has the usual set of lines showing, including angle of wheels (blue lines), end of the car (red line), and green lines for what looks to be best path. I should probably read the manual... Doh!

Anyway, works well.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
617 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bluetooth phone

Bad

Takes 3 touch screen stabs to switch audio to bluetooth when starting the car. Will not default to it.
Also does not switch to bluetooth automatically on transition to walking up to the car with an active call.
As comparison, the Tesla auto switches to bluetooth hands free if I get in the car with an active phone call, super convenient and seamless.

Good

Call quality and the quiet small cabin make for a good non-echo place to do business calls.
Have done a few 20 minute calls on my commute, no glitches or scratches, super clear.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
617 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Acceleration

Bad

The 2017 Smart ED doesn't "jump" off the line like my 2013 Smart ED, which would bend back onto the rear axle under hard acceleration from a stop. Rather, the new Smart ED suspension controls the pitch movements of the car such that the car kind of squats down under hard acceleration. While this is probably preferable for most people, I miss the loose/unhinged feeling of the old car.

Good

Still accelerates reasonably to 50 km/h. On the exact same intersection, my old Smart ED would go from full stop to cross a specific intersection and be doing 55 km/h before I passed the cross walk line at the far side. The new Smart ED hits 51 km/h in similar conditions (wet roadway, but no major tire slip). For comparison our Tesla hits 60 km/h and I'm forced to fully let off the accelerator pedal immediately as I finishing crossing as the car is accelerating very hard by that point.

For me, I'd prefer double the power, but as the speed limit is 60 km/h or less for my entire commute, it would only be for that initial "cross the intersection" rush, otherwise, the Smart ED is fully sufficient for a city commute, and has plenty of passing power up to it's governed 140 km/h top speed.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2532 posts
1144 upvotes
Calgary
hmmm I just paid off the loan on my 2012 Civic Si with only 36k kms as my daily commute is <10clicks each way. I might be convinced on this smart electric for $100/month. bonus - Calgary's downtown parking's a biaaaach & this mite make it worth going there more often. hoping the $99/mth deal comes along next year
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14614 posts
4078 upvotes
scotsum wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 5:15 pm
hmmm I just paid off the loan on my 2012 Civic Si with only 36k kms as my daily commute is <10clicks each way. I might be convinced on this smart electric for $100/month. bonus - Calgary's downtown parking's a biaaaach & this mite make it worth going there more often. hoping the $99/mth deal comes along next year
Your in the best part of car ownership, no major repairs likely and no monthly payments. You can now pay for your next car in cash if you plan wisely, every month from now on put the same money you were paying monthly into a savings account (or other very safe investment), keep your current car another 5 years (or more) and buy your next car with cash and keep doing the same thing. You will never have another car loan.
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
617 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$100/mo is not coming back. Current lease quotes are $250/mo with the Ontario $13K rebate as down payment.
The new Smart is far more car than the outgoing model, it's like a real car (that's a compliment).
Smart won't make the mistake of over stocking, my local dealer is just ordering enough to keep a few on the lot.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2532 posts
1144 upvotes
Calgary
opps double post - my bad
Last edited by scotsum on Nov 16th, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14614 posts
4078 upvotes
duplicate, please delete, forum won't let me do it
Last edited by Quentin5 on Nov 16th, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14614 posts
4078 upvotes
scotsum wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:29 pm
yaa I was planning to keep it as a daily driver for as long as I can - likely the next 10yrs (provided I can resist the upgraditis disease ofcos) since I hardly put any mileage at all. that said, I wouldn't mind going full bore electric for pennies a day & do my share of saving the environment. but thats only if I can snag a lease for $100/mth. if not, its likely not worth it for me to have a 2nd car.
You can buy a lot of solar panels by avoiding the stranded asset costs. If you save an equivalent amount of money that you spent for 5 years to pay off your current car then 10 years from now you will have paid for two cars, if you only buy one you will get a lot of solar for the other.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2532 posts
1144 upvotes
Calgary
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:57 pm
You can buy a lot of solar panels by avoiding the stranded asset costs. If you save an equivalent amount of money that you spent for 5 years to pay off your current car then 10 years from now you will have paid for two cars, if you only buy one you will get a lot of solar for the other.
honestly I think the "savings" would go much longer on paying down the mortgage rather than paying cash for a car. interest accrued on a prime auto loans are minuscule compared with the longterm savings by paying down a 25 yr morgtage. ofcos, not paying interest at all is best but that said, paying cash is anathema to living in modern society.

ps: im having trouble with double posts too. seems the rfd servers tonight are on the fritz.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14614 posts
4078 upvotes
scotsum wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:48 pm
honestly I think the "savings" would go much longer on paying down the mortgage rather than paying cash for a car. interest accrued on a prime auto loans are minuscule compared with the longterm savings by paying down a 25 yr morgtage. ofcos, not paying interest at all is best but that said, paying cash is anathema to living in modern society.

ps: im having trouble with double posts too. seems the rfd servers tonight are on the fritz.
I don't know how much your car or mortgage payments were/are but i assume if you redirect your savings from no more car payments to your mortgage you will discharge it many years early (and save a good amount of interest). That can also be used towards a future vehicle or renewable power.