Hot Deals

[Smart] Smart [ONT] Smart Electric Drive - $19K OTR

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 7:01 pm
Oct 18, 2017
3 posts
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:50 am
Lot of dealers are getting scared now due to the backlog and uncertainty of getting it, more of the backlog and cash up front they have to absorb.
So much I'd like to lease a EV. but this certainly makes buying/leasing a EV much more difficult.

How many families out there have the capability of saving $14k up front for down payment?

Otherwise paying for a much higher monthly leasing cost, which means more interests.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You don't need to save the money up front, you could get a short term loan, or use a line of credit.
At 3% interest, the 6 month loan of $13000 is ~$200.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2522 posts
209 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
My dealer hasn't mentioned not apply for the rebate at all. It's actually in the quote. If they don't apply I don't buy!! (Or lease in my case)
Oct 18, 2017
3 posts
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 8:37 pm
You don't need to save the money up front, you could get a short term loan, or use a line of credit.
At 3% interest, the 6 month loan of $13000 is ~$200.
would the dealership be willing to loan that money on a promote rate (like 0.9 or 1.9% something)?

and how long does it take for Ontario government process the rebate recently? 6 months?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5476 posts
167 upvotes
Picking up one today and dealership is not processing the rebate. I am shelling out the cash up front and will report back once I get the rebate.
Feedbacks: HF | Heatware
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
First few weeks with the new Smart ED.
Averaging 20 kWh/100 km over the first 700+ km in November here in Ontario.

Drove 80 km yesterday with -5C temperatures and snow conditions and arrived home with 10% (~10 km) remaining.
Had cabin heat on 25C, heated seats on for driver and passenger, did 40 km of that on 400 series highways at 110 km/h on cruise control.
VERY IMPRESSED, love the new heated steering wheel.

This is a real car, handles well on the highway, lots of power for passing, regenerative braking is smooth.

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4216 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
cy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:25 am
Picking up one today and dealership is not processing the rebate. I am shelling out the cash up front and will report back once I get the rebate.
Well, that will take a few months......4 months maybe?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2522 posts
209 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Dealer is processing rebate on the lease for me. Car is set to be built in January and delivered in March. I have been trying since August to get it ordered (Cabrio)

Snag is now they won't deliver it to me like the first one. Car won't make it here on a charge (170km) Contemplating cancelling and going with the ioniq. Same time frame for delivery except local.

However lease vs own. Must decide soon.
Last edited by hyperactiveme on Nov 16th, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9001 posts
576 upvotes
Mississauga
Looks so nice, you must get a lot of attraction. I love the looks of it.
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 4:53 pm

Drove 80 km yesterday with -5C temperatures and snow conditions and arrived home with 10% (~10 km) remaining.
Had cabin heat on 25C, heated seats on for driver and passenger, did 40 km of that on 400 series highways at 110 km/h on cruise control.

This is a real car, handles well on the highway, lots of power for passing, regenerative braking is smooth.

Jan 20, 2011
58 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for the review. Love the spec. What is the charge time with a charger vs a wall plug?

One question I would like to know is, My drive to work is 24km (20km is on qew) drive takes 20min to work but can be up to 1.5 hours on the way home.
How is range in stop and go toronto traffic druing bad weather/rush hour/a car accident?

Thanks
Feb 8, 2013
66 posts
9 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 2:39 am
Dealer is processing rebate on the lease for me. Car is set to be built in January and delivered in March. I have been trying since August to get it ordered (Cabrio)

Snag is now they won't deliver it to me like the first one. Car won't make it here on a charge (170km) Contemplating cancelling and going with the ioniq. Same time frame for delivery except local.

However lease vs own. Must decide soon.
Which MB dealer is processing the rebate? Thought none of them were anymore, which is the reason I'm likely going to move on.......

Kev
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
oKAVEMANo wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:42 am
What is the charge time with a charger vs a wall plug?
My drive to work is 24km (20km is on qew) drive takes 20min to work but can be up to 1.5 hours on the way home.
How is range in stop and go toronto traffic druing bad weather/rush hour/a car accident?
A 60 km daily round-trip commute is no problem in any weather based on my experience with the 2013 and now 2017.
The majority of the energy usage is moving the car, averaging 17 kWh/100 km, meaning a 100 km range normally with no cabin heating.
When sitting in traffic, the car averages use of 10% of the battery capacity to heat the cabin for each hour in traffic going nowhere.
Summer is even easier, air conditioning is far less energy intensive than heating, and for sure, the cabin is so small, it's pretty easy to heat/cool.
Heated seat and steering wheel is super convenient, I pretty much use it all the time, except for 23C days and above.

Car charges much (3x or better) faster on 240V 32A vs the 120V 12A wall plug. Easy math, 7kW vs 1.5kW.
Personally, I've driven 30000 km on 120V charging with my two Smart ED's, my daily average is 50 km round trip.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Backup camera :

Bad

Takes 2 seconds for the touch screen to switch to backup camera upon putting car in reverse.
The screen goes through a set of flashes until camera shows the image.

For comparison, the backup camera in our Tesla shows up in a tenth of a second and the screen smoothly transitions to show the camera view, even if I have some other screen (nav, music, browser, etc) maximized.

Good

Backup camera has the usual set of lines showing, including angle of wheels (blue lines), end of the car (red line), and green lines for what looks to be best path. I should probably read the manual... Doh!

Anyway, works well.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bluetooth phone

Bad

Takes 3 touch screen stabs to switch audio to bluetooth when starting the car. Will not default to it.
Also does not switch to bluetooth automatically on transition to walking up to the car with an active call.
As comparison, the Tesla auto switches to bluetooth hands free if I get in the car with an active phone call, super convenient and seamless.

Good

Call quality and the quiet small cabin make for a good non-echo place to do business calls.
Have done a few 20 minute calls on my commute, no glitches or scratches, super clear.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Acceleration

Bad

The 2017 Smart ED doesn't "jump" off the line like my 2013 Smart ED, which would bend back onto the rear axle under hard acceleration from a stop. Rather, the new Smart ED suspension controls the pitch movements of the car such that the car kind of squats down under hard acceleration. While this is probably preferable for most people, I miss the loose/unhinged feeling of the old car.

Good

Still accelerates reasonably to 50 km/h. On the exact same intersection, my old Smart ED would go from full stop to cross a specific intersection and be doing 55 km/h before I passed the cross walk line at the far side. The new Smart ED hits 51 km/h in similar conditions (wet roadway, but no major tire slip). For comparison our Tesla hits 60 km/h and I'm forced to fully let off the accelerator pedal immediately as I finishing crossing as the car is accelerating very hard by that point.

For me, I'd prefer double the power, but as the speed limit is 60 km/h or less for my entire commute, it would only be for that initial "cross the intersection" rush, otherwise, the Smart ED is fully sufficient for a city commute, and has plenty of passing power up to it's governed 140 km/h top speed.