Hot Deals

[Smart] Smart [ONT] Smart Electric Drive - $19K OTR

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 7:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
8307 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
HachiB901 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:18 am
So many commenter mentioned lease costs, why lease for this particular vehicle? Because of battery or motor issues after the warranty if you were to own it instead? Would battery replacement cost too high to justify for the low "refuel" savings in the long run? Just curious...
Imo, due to future improvements in range,which may bring even more efficient cars relatively soon in future for same or less money.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 3, 2005
2739 posts
195 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:57 pm
I returned my 2014 Smart ForTwo Electric ($73/month AFTER Tax 36 month lease) today.
For the 2018 Smart ForTwo Electric, my original sales rep quoted me $320/month 36 month lease with $670 down and they asked if I'd be interested...lol.
In short, wait for the $99/month lease deal that pops up every odd year or so.
At $320 a month, I would get the eGolf. I paid my deposit long ago and was told to go to the dealer to finalize it three months ago but I still haven't. VW customer service is horrible!
Avignon wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:18 pm
I got in on the 2014 "$99" lease. I got a basic car, folded in pdi, etc. & my monthly was 170 taxes in, nothing down.
This week I picked up a 2017, basic except the wheels, and am paying 230/mo. taxes in. Smart loyalty of 500 only discount.
So 60 more a month.
Didn't bother negotiating, after looking at alternatives (eGolf #1) that essentially were vapourware.
MB Downtown is getting 3 in stock (well only 2 now:-) - after that, the rest by order; I actually had the car in 2 days.
In the winter on cold days our range would be 75 - 90 kms. on the 2014.
I got the 2015 "$99 lease" with ~$1,100 of options, 16,000km/year ... but with all the crazy incentive back then & MTO EV rebate, its $110 per month tax included for 36 months, 0 down (MTO incentive was the down payment technically).

Looking at the 2018 now, will probably be $200 per month as the only incentive is the $500 MY17 Smart & maybe the Mercedes Owner $1,000 stacked? Planning to put approx $1,200 options as well as upgrade to 16,000km/year as well. MSRP went up but EV incentive did as well. But Mercedes incentive went away :(

You got 75-90km on a cold day? I wasn't near that else I will freeze to death.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Newbie
Jul 5, 2017
66 posts
21 upvotes
HachiB901 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:18 am
So many commenter mentioned lease costs, why lease for this particular vehicle? Because of battery or motor issues after the warranty if you were to own it instead? Would battery replacement cost too high to justify for the low "refuel" savings in the long run? Just curious...
Myself - I'm new to electric cars. fell in love with Bolt the moment i saw in the Auto show, currently ride my bolt to downtown with my wife so we save $$$ on this change. However, though i fell in love with it. I still leased it for 4 years Since this technology is new and evolving ever year and competition will be peak on this soon as we see other car manufacturers are joining the wagon. with lease i still have the buyout option of about 10k in the end which if i feel is good deal then i would buy it or just get the new one in the market probably with better mileage.

think it this way (though might be down voted for the analogy :rolleyes: ) If smartphone manufacturers start leasing phones than we have to buy them and we can keep our grandfathered plans with us. Wouldn't you just lease your phone and get a new one with better features and longer batteries ?Electric Light Bulb
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DheerajA585 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:49 am
I see your point as smart is the best option for your mileage. But, Bolt is an awesome CAR i ever had Since it saves huge $$$ in gas and i don't need 2 different cars for different purposes
I own a Tesla and Smart, your point is taken separately, but my original point stands, there isn't a currently available EV for sale in Ontario where you could get delivery in the next few months outside of the remaining 2017 Leaf inventory, Smart or Tesla. If you can wait till spring 2018, there will be more choice, that was and is my point. But there isn't competition from price anymore, as FFE and old priced Leaf are either sold out or almost sold out.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:34 am
Can you provide some cons that have NOT been improved upon on the NEW car?
Range. As outlined in post #1 of this thread.

Otherwise, massively improved car. Brand new ground up design.
Wider, more stable, better handling, interior fit/finish, higher end audio options with modern touch screen, LED lighting, backup camera, even more ridiculously small turning circle, more torque, screens showing technical info like kW usage of accessories, better locations for ignition switch, cup holders, etc. As the reviewers state, improved in most every way.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HachiB901 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:18 am
So many commenter mentioned lease costs, why lease for this particular vehicle? Because of battery or motor issues after the warranty if you were to own it instead? Would battery replacement cost too high to justify for the low "refuel" savings in the long run? Just curious...
New Smart has 8 year battery warranty, which is double the previous model, so leasing makes even less sense financially for someone who has access to cheaper credit than the lease holder.

Lease holder gets $13K rebate, not owner, so some of that might not be passed along, depends on the dealer and their offer.
Newbie
Jul 5, 2017
66 posts
21 upvotes
i'm wondering who are the 12 people who down voted this post? I'm just wondering what was the reason to down vote? any particular hatred towards Mercedes? Since the price is right and electric is the future in car industry -- just curious to see what's the down side the 12 people see in this post?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
5615 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
DheerajA585 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:57 pm
i'm wondering who are the 12 people who down voted this post? I'm just wondering what was the reason to down vote? any particular hatred towards Mercedes? Since the price is right and electric is the future in car industry -- just curious to see what's the down side the 12 people see in this post?
I'm guessing they have big families or long commutes, so this car does not meet their needs.

That's not really the purpose of downvotes of course.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 27, 2014
3314 posts
707 upvotes
Mississauga
DheerajA585 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:57 pm
i'm wondering who are the 12 people who down voted this post? I'm just wondering what was the reason to down vote? any particular hatred towards Mercedes? Since the price is right and electric is the future in car industry -- just curious to see what's the down side the 12 people see in this post?
Probably the fact that the OP is a shill.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Newbie
Jul 5, 2017
66 posts
21 upvotes
Inno wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:00 pm
I'm guessing they have big families or long commutes, so this car does not meet their needs.

That's not really the purpose of downvotes of course.
That's what i'm curious to know if down vote is used since it doesn't benefit their purpose.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:04 pm
Probably the fact that the OP is a <enthusiast>.
Altered for correctness. Find fault in the facts/statements, and I'll review.
Like I said, I'm not a fan of Mercedes.
But, they have built a great urban EV, and I am all to glad to provide details related to this product.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4215 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
This car definitely serves a purpose. It's actually kinda tempting to me at $19k OTR, but already have reservations on 2 Model 3's and a 2018 Leaf. I can't just buy every EV that becomes available (unfortunately). How much range does the average person NEED on a city-centric car? People tell me all the time that my Leaf is not suited for trips outside of the city, but I regularly drive 1.5 hours one way. Most people have no idea how far 150km range will get them. It's pretty simple math though, it gets you up to 150km radius from where you charge your vehicle at home.

The Smart ED could get me from Kitchener to Toronto, charge at my destination and then return home....sure that's about the extent of it, but a somewhat realistic distance. I doubt too many people are considering this as their ONLY vehicle in the family. Car #2 is a good backup for when it's not going to work.

If you don't have anywhere to plug in at home, a Bolt or Tesla are the only viable EV's. I have a friend with a Bolt without anywhere to plug in at home, he's driven 33,000km in 6 months......31,000km of that distance was charged at FREE public L3 charging stations.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 7, 2003
1696 posts
20 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:17 pm
The EV incentives are funded by the climate action plan, which primary obtains funds from polluters, not private individuals.
Claiming that Oil funds jobs here in Ontario is sad, the majority of jobs created by oil aren't like those for the electricity sector or renewable energy, which are long term jobs.

I wrote about this:
http://mysmartelectricdrive.blogspot.ca ... r-own.html
The carbon tax that everyone has to pay at the pump or when turning on the lights begs to differ. Also, the feds committing to the $1T Paris Climate accord to give to less developed countries so they can spend on renewable energy and such is going to come from where exactly?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 27, 2014
3314 posts
707 upvotes
Mississauga
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:17 pm
Altered for correctness. Find fault in the facts/statements, and I'll review.
Like I said, I'm not a fan of Mercedes.
But, they have built a great urban EV, and I am all to glad to provide details related to this product.
Straight from your blog lol:

Mercedes/Smart gave me a $3000 discount on purchase, a $1000 loyalty discount (I own a Mercedes GLK350) and Ontario provided $8500 rebate which went directly against the purchase (it was not a "tax break").
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2014
500 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:36 pm
Straight from your blog lol:
Mercedes/Smart gave me a $3000 discount on purchase, a $1000 loyalty discount (I own a Mercedes GLK350) and Ontario provided $8500 rebate which went directly against the purchase (it was not a "tax break").
I traded the Mercedes SUV for the Tesla. Like I stated earlier in this thread, it's no secret I couldn't stand to drive the MB SUV due to the gas consumption. My wife was taking my Smart ED every day, even though her Mercedes was in the driveway. It told her flat out I would not drive a gas car, and that if she took my Smart ED again and left the Mercedes, I would be trading it for a Tesla. She took the Smart ED that next day. Problem solved, traded away Mercedes happily in 2015 for Tesla and couldn't be happier to get that stinking gas SUV out of the driveway.

Good enough for you?

Top