Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
2955 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga

Smart Themostats.....

How many of you here are using smart thermostats? Ecobee, Nest, etc?

I have a programmable thermostat and am finding it difficult to make a case for upgrading......aside from having access to it via my phone, do your installations offer any other advantages, or more importantly, energy savings?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8651 posts
1440 upvotes
Somewhere
With my Ecobee, at night, I can program it to use the separate sensor in my master bedroom, so that the thermostat reacts to the temperature there instead of in the living room, where it's colder at night.

When I'm on vacation in winter, I can move the sensor into the basement and have it maintain a steady temperature of 16 degrees down there so the pipes won't burst.

Stuff like that. It helps.
:confused:
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6925 posts
1217 upvotes
Brampton
Got a Gen 3 Nest.
The additional control over the HVAC system helps.

The whole out of the box "Automation/Connectivity" is convenient like being able to tell Alexa what temp to set to and turning the temp down when you're away.

The Added connectivity and integration of smart thermostats is where it really shines IMO. The Nest I will have to say is not the most friendly for this since it lacks Homekit support and the integration it offers with works with Nest partners such as Wink is really weak.

In addition to the Nest I Have Nest protects (I wish I could read the raw data from them, sound level/temp humidity) on every floor so the home/away detection is better than without. My Nest is integrated into my OpenHAB setup.

I use it as presence detection to know if someone is home. If not then it obviously lowers the HVAC setting, but I also use this status to turn on my Alarm, turn off any running electronics and also the HRV.
My HRV controller isn't very smart, and lacks a fan interlock. So I applied some logic to read indoor/outdoor humidity to decide the optimal humidity levels in the house, while prioritizing the amount air changes in the house (via the HRV)
I also tie in the control of my ceiling fans to help keep the house a bit more comfortable, the house will attempt to keep things in check with the ceiling fans and the furnace fan until based on humidity levels and internal temp start running the AC.
I also chart/log my HVAC runtimes and estimate the power consumed. I did try to use the data to try and tweak the temperature/humidity settings to be more efficient but WAF didn't work out.

If you have no interest in home automation & don't care for connected gadgets and have a fairly set/well programmed schedule you will see little value in smart thermostats.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4920 posts
669 upvotes
I guess I'm the odd one out. I have a Honeywell Prestige IAQ 2.0. It does the basics plus integrates with your alarm through the Honeywell Totalconnect portal. This thermostat can also be set to commercial mode to do things like pre-occupancy purge, change the parameters of the PID algorithm, etc.

In terms of HVAC control, the equipment interface module can control a humdifier, dehumidifier, HRV interlock plus a relay for some other thing like a flood sensor. It has 3 hardwired temperature sensors. 1 for exterior, 1 for intake and 1 for discharge temp. It can also take a bunch of wireless indoor and outdoor sensors. The thermostat can be set to automatically regulate the humidity based on exterior temperature plus a leaky window setting to reduce/eliminate the glacier on your windows.

Essential, the IAQ-series of thermostats is for complicated HVAC setups or for someone who just wants a single unit to take care of everything. No silly toys like Nest where they WANT you to play with the thermostat.

There's a smartapp for Smartthings that will integrate everything into a single gateway.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6925 posts
1217 upvotes
Brampton
rf134a wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:10 pm
I guess I'm the odd one out. I have a Honeywell Prestige IAQ 2.0. It does the basics plus integrates with your alarm through the Honeywell Totalconnect portal. This thermostat can also be set to commercial mode to do things like pre-occupancy purge, change the parameters of the PID algorithm, etc.

In terms of HVAC control, the equipment interface module can control a humdifier, dehumidifier, HRV interlock plus a relay for some other thing like a flood sensor. It has 3 hardwired temperature sensors. 1 for exterior, 1 for intake and 1 for discharge temp. It can also take a bunch of wireless indoor and outdoor sensors. The thermostat can be set to automatically regulate the humidity based on exterior temperature plus a leaky window setting to reduce/eliminate the glacier on your windows.

Essential, the IAQ-series of thermostats is for complicated HVAC setups or for someone who just wants a single unit to take care of everything. No silly toys like Nest where they WANT you to play with the thermostat.

There's a smartapp for Smartthings that will integrate everything into a single gateway.
I don't know about Odd one out but the IAQ is serious HVAC automation system. You're right when you call the Nest and the Ecobee type "Smart" thermostats toys.

The IAQ is equivalent to say comparing a professional installed Crestron or Control4 Home Automation system vs Throwing money at a HomeKit/Wink (Consumer) Home Automation system.

The different in cost shows(An IAQ2.0 kit is ~$500 + Install[You can DIY it, but it takes more knowledge than swapping a thermostat.]) . I tried to mimic Some of the advanced functions offered by the IAQ and other commercial "Climate Control" systems
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1332 posts
220 upvotes
Windsor
bk2the6ix wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:21 am
How many of you here are using smart thermostats? Ecobee, Nest, etc?

I have a programmable thermostat and am finding it difficult to make a case for upgrading......aside from having access to it via my phone, do your installations offer any other advantages, or more importantly, energy savings?
Spending 3 minutes every 6 months with your crap programmable thermostat will save you as much as Nest, Ecobee, etc. The main thing those things provide are:
Nest:
- Pretty interface
- Remote control
- "Learning" (which works pretty poorly)

Ecobee:
- Remote control
- Ability to compensate for a poorly insulated / balanced home

Cheapest wifi thermostat you can find:
- Remote control

As tebore mentions, you could just build a "smart" hub (OpenHAB is fantastically capable, making Control4 look like 12 year old technology), and gain all the functionality of Nest/Ecobee and way more. Does require you're interested in putting in a bit of effort, and have a computer running at all times.

I went the cheap-arse wifi thermostat route; Nest was thoroughly disappointing in every way except appearance.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6455 posts
158 upvotes
Cheap thermostat is the easiest. Less to maintain, less to break, and no worries about internet of things exploits. I don't want to have my thermostat held ransom or bricked in the middle of winter.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel