• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2020 12:26 am
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto

Smart TV for old non tech parents

I have a headache just thinking about it.

Basically - My 80 year old non tech parents need to get a smart TV.
The purchase will be from Costco, likely whatever is on sale.
About 50' in size.

Will not be used with Rogers cable - just OTA antenna.
Ideally - built in Chromecast, access to Netflix, access to my Plex server, and means to access IPTV.

Unfortunately, my parents are not very tech savvy, so trying to find something that would be easy for them to use. Their troubleshooting skills are non-existant.

The big priority for them is access to ethnic programming, and I am in the process of researching IPTV options.
They used to access this by satellite, but as of the new year, the channel is no longer available on Galaxy 19 satellite.

I have not been paying attention to TV's for the last decade, so have no idea what to even look for (besides low price). Any suggestions would be awesome.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
What type of ethnic tv ? Chinese/Hong Kong ? If so the EV pad is pretty decent iptv type option
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't underestimate how difficult it is for elderly parents to use new technology. New technology typically isn't designed to be easy for that generation to use - developers make many assumptions about what their users know, and they often use tiny text suitable only for sharp younger eyes. cryptic icons that are meaningless to those outside their technology generation, user interface conventions that are not as conventional as they think, etc..

One thing I found helpful with elderly parents is when the remote has dedicated keys for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. (like LG smart TVs). That gives them one button to press. Of course I still get calls like "The TV keeps saying we need to Update - am I supposed to say Yes or No? And how do I do that?". There are just too many built-in assumptions that our tech-savvy generation doesn't perceive as a roadblock, but it really is for an older generation...
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
coilz wrote: What type of ethnic tv ? Chinese/Hong Kong ? If so the EV pad is pretty decent iptv type option
Much more niche Eastern European.
There only are few options legally, and most likely will subscribe them to something legit for simplicity sake.
There are some free possibilities, but would likely face regular disruptions and adjustments.
So long as they get easy and constant access, they won't mind paying.

How significant is brand and different interfaces, and which is considered easiest to use for older generation?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Don't underestimate how difficult it is for elderly parents to use new technology. New technology typically isn't designed to be easy for that generation to use - developers make many assumptions about what their users know, and they often use tiny text suitable only for sharp younger eyes. cryptic icons that are meaningless to those outside their technology generation, user interface conventions that are not as conventional as they think, etc..

One thing I found helpful with elderly parents is when the remote has dedicated keys for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. (like LG smart TVs). That gives them one button to press. Of course I still get calls like "The TV keeps saying we need to Update - am I supposed to say Yes or No? And how do I do that?". There are just too many built-in assumptions that our tech-savvy generation doesn't perceive as a roadblock, but it really is for an older generation...
Yup - you get it.
With my parents, they do better with repetive sequences.
They can become familiar with following a pattern, but are helpless when something changes.
The less steps needed, the better.

I think with this purchase, I will make a custom quick guide for needed functions, including visual reference of remote indicating which button to push. My dad has some proficiency, but my mother has remained pure spectator, so she would need it the most.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
I'd assume the SmartTV part will only be useful for the big options: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, Plex, etc. As soon as you get into something niche, you'll need something external like a Firestick. Since you have Plex, another option is to set it up to download whatever shows they watch, essentially offloading the tech onto you. A friend mentioned he records TV with his Plex, so maybe you can route things through Plex somehow?

I'd start with figuring out what service they'll need to subscribe to for this ethnic programming, then figure out what device can most simply access these features. I have a feeling you'll be looking at another device (thus another remote).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone who thinks this is easy should try a test for a week. Take the service you are thinking your elderly parents should use and actually test it yourself.
Rules:
- You cannot follow any planned sequences longer than 3 steps. Turning on the TV is step 1. Changing it to another input is step 2. Turning on a separate box is step 3. Every second time you must mix up the sequence.
- You can't read any text on the screen that's under 3" in height, and every second line of text is in a language you can't understand
- The only icons you understand are Play, Pause and Stop
- If nothing happens for 3 seconds, you must push the last button again, and then some more buttons at random if the right thing doesn't happen immediately
- Every time you pick up the remote you must accidentally push a random button
- You must stop and call for help if any unexpected message appears on the screen
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
@shikotee "built in Chromecast" sounds great but not always well implemented.

Our office Toshiba TV 55L621U never got its built-in Chromecast firmware updated. Stuck on old 1.22.78594. Means it does not work with Disney+ because that service requires newer firmware.

My advice for older, non-tech parents would be Roku . They seem to have the easiest , simplest interface. Even my mom knows how to use it and that says a lot!
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Do they already have a TV with an HDMI port? You can turn that into a smart TV with a simple Amazon Fire TV stick.

You could set it to auto-launch an IPTV app if that is what they want the most but would also offer access to netflix and other apps when they wish to switch.

Also you can use Alexa to operate most apps.
Last edited by peli33 on Jan 23rd, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Smart tvs have their own proprietary apps sometimes which are not maintained firmware very well.

Other smart tvs have built in roku which might be an option... research if apps you need are available on roku tvs.

Else get a non-smart tv and get amazon firestick 4k... perhaps already have non-smart tv?

Yes, there will be a learning curve so if decide firestick 4k might work... try for yourself like suggested above.

The iptv options you mentioned can be used on firestick 4k [stbemu and other apps] but if go that route might want to consider a dedicated box like mag [might not be supported much longer] or dreamlink lite [no apps can be installed so just start and watch].
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Your nightmare is just beginning. ;) Consider a Logitech Harmony Elite with big programmable buttons that you can customize for them to make it easy to get to each feature they want.

Trying to explain to my FIL how to change inputs to go from cable to DVD to Smart TV...shudder.

Anyhow, get a Sony with Android TV. Works well enough.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Don't underestimate how difficult it is for elderly parents to use new technology. New technology typically isn't designed to be easy for that generation to use - developers make many assumptions about what their users know, and they often use tiny text suitable only for sharp younger eyes. cryptic icons that are meaningless to those outside their technology generation, user interface conventions that are not as conventional as they think, etc..

The problem here is not with the users, no matter their age or skill level, but instead lies with the designers who fail to understand the real world. Consumer equipment like this should be easy to use and easy to explain. Manuals and on-screen directions should be written in language that a 14 year old can understand and follow.

I have seen examples where older people spent a lot of money on the latest and greatest TV's and then use only a small fraction of it's capabilities because they're too embarrassed to ask for help. In at least one case, I'm sure the TV was practically forced on the buyer by an enthusiastic sales person.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Just a quick follow up.

Instead of grabbing a new TV, opted to snag Nvidia Shield (not pro).
In all likelihood, a firestick would have been sufficient, but decided to go this route.
Have never used Android TV, so am currently setting it up.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
shikotee wrote: Just a quick follow up.

Instead of grabbing a new TV, opted to snag Nvidia Shield (not pro).
In all likelihood, a firestick would have been sufficient, but decided to go this route.
Have never used Android TV, so am currently setting it up.
echo works well for elderly. But if you have gone google think about adding the voice pods and setting up contacts. That way if you have it too you can just add them as a contact and call their pod. " hey guys you still alive"? reply "yes"! you say "good!.

Or if they fell they can use it to call for help.

Amazon has a device that turns the landline into a capable echo device as well.Not sure if android does?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1387 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
This seems to be not only a challenging setup for seniors to access, but also hard to support for OP, if anything goes wrong. Frequent home visits are given.
Unless they are already using Internet, it would be additional cost just setup an Internet connection for TV streaming.

I think basic cable + some ethnic channels package would work the best.
Even this was hard for my elderly in-laws, as at times to get them to reboot the set top box or switch inputs if they happened to press some wrong buttons.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Jimbobs wrote: The problem here is not with the users, no matter their age or skill level, but instead lies with the designers who fail to understand the real world. Consumer equipment like this should be easy to use and easy to explain. Manuals and on-screen directions should be written in language that a 14 year old can understand and follow.

I have seen examples where older people spent a lot of money on the latest and greatest TV's and then use only a small fraction of it's capabilities because they're too embarrassed to ask for help. In at least one case, I'm sure the TV was practically forced on the buyer by an enthusiastic sales person.
Yes, it makes you wish that the designers responsible for these things could spend a bit of time with elderly customers who were never very technology-friendly and have now reached the age where they can't learn new things easily and are forgetting some of the things they knew.

We think of a simple cable TV as the easiest possible technology to use, and that may have been true at one time, but it isn't any more. These customers grew up in the age when a TV had an on/off button and a channel dial labeled 2-13. Now you now have a smart cable box with its own remote that has about 30 buttons with cryptic labels in tiny text. And a smart TV that has its own remote with another 30 buttons. One wrong press of a button, and the TV is on the wrong input or the TV and the cable box are out of sync, or the audio has been turned off, or the TV is displaying a weird error message or saying that you have to update something or contact your cable provider.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Yes, it makes you wish that the designers responsible for these things could spend a bit of time with elderly customers who were never very technology-friendly and have now reached the age where they can't learn new things easily and are forgetting some of the things they knew....
Actually, they don't need to spend time with "elderly customers" at all. That's not where the problem lies. Older people have less interest in becoming familiar with new technology that younger people and so quickly abandon efforts to figure it out. There is no cognitive reason for them doing so. It is a myth that older people are unable to understand technology.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Jimbobs wrote: Actually, they don't need to spend time with "elderly customers" at all. That's not where the problem lies. Older people have less interest in becoming familiar with new technology that younger people and so quickly abandon efforts to figure it out. There is no cognitive reason for them doing so. It is a myth that older people are unable to understand technology.
Tue to some extent. I know many older people who are quite familiar with technology and have no problem with new technology. But unfortunately it is true that older people can develop a variety of problems as they age that make things especially difficult for them, including vision and hearing problems, manual dexterity to reliably press tiny buttons, cognitive issues (or just general slowdown of mental processes), memory problems that make it hard to learn or remember new things, etc.. Combine that with a general lack of interest in learning new things that are overly complicated, and you have a customer subset that doesn't do well with some products. It would be naive to think that we will never suffer from those problems ourselves.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbobs wrote: Actually, they don't need to spend time with "elderly customers" at all. That's not where the problem lies. Older people have less interest in becoming familiar with new technology that younger people and so quickly abandon efforts to figure it out. There is no cognitive reason for them doing so. It is a myth that older people are unable to understand technology.
There are zillions of complex and personal reasons as to why older people are less adaptive.
Fact is, when our bodies approach the end of lifecycle, so many capabilities degrade.
Think of the wide range of brain related illnesses that older brains become more susceptible to.
Fact also is, the world we experience in childhood tremendously shapes our personalities in perpetuity, consciously and subconsciously.

In the case of my parents, neither had access to the education opportunities I experienced in my life.
I'm a byproduct of a liberal minded educational system that emphasized critical thinking, and have thus been conditioned from early childhood on how to work things through with technology.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: There are zillions of complex and personal reasons as to why older people are less adaptive.
Fact is, when our bodies approach the end of lifecycle, so many capabilities degrade.
Think of the wide range of brain related illnesses that older brains become more susceptible to.
Fact also is, the world we experience in childhood tremendously shapes our personalities in perpetuity, consciously and subconsciously.

In the case of my parents, neither had access to the education opportunities I experienced in my life.
I'm a byproduct of a liberal minded educational system that emphasized critical thinking, and have thus been conditioned from early childhood on how to work things through with technology.
None of this is evidence of anything. You appear to be extrapolating from personal experience to a generation. And it is still pretty much all incorrect. I suggest you read Successful Aging by Daniel J Levitin and have your critical thinking skills re-sharpened.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)