• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 10:24 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
263 posts
188 upvotes

Smartphone under 400$

Hi,

I'm looking for a smartphone under 400$ after all shipping and/or taxe included.

I'm coming from a Nexus 5X, I don't play games.
I don't need a huge huge upgrade but I want a phone that will run smooth (animations, speed to open apps...) for the next 2 ou 3 years.

- Performance wise : anything at least as fast as OnePlus 3 will be enough
- USB type C port to keep my accessories
- Android Stock experience directly from manufacturer or via an alternative rom :)
- 3.5mm jack port

Is there a phone that exist that would meet these requirements?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17201 posts
1507 upvotes
Woodbridge
Samsung A8
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2983 posts
428 upvotes
Markham, ON
HTC 10 off eBay, unlocked for $270 CDN brand new. It's the direct contender to the OnePlus 3. Highly underrated phone and it was insanely expensive upon release ($900). HTC sense is pretty close to stock, similar to Oxygen OS, camera and audio are great, and yes headphone jack.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/New-HTC-10-ONE-M1 ... noapp=true
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Feb 2, 2013
72 posts
35 upvotes
...Won't find a better phone in your price range (believe pricing starts at $300 US) - https://www.poco.net/global/specs/

EDIT: should add that this is a fairly new release and would wait a little longer for a version with NA LTE bands.
Oct 1, 2009
253 posts
63 upvotes
Sounds like you want a poco phone but it's a tad over your budget. How about a used V20 or V30?
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
263 posts
188 upvotes
EnyCe wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 10:02 am
HTC 10 off eBay, unlocked for $270 CDN brand new. It's the direct contender to the OnePlus 3. Highly underrated phone and it was insanely expensive upon release ($900). HTC sense is pretty close to stock, similar to Oxygen OS, camera and audio are great, and yes headphone jack.
https://m.ebay.ca/itm/New-HTC-10-ONE-M1 ... noapp=true
I might look into it, thanks.
bembol wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:55 am
Samsung A8
There's not a lot of development on XDA to get an AOSP rom :(
themurph wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 10:29 am
...Won't find a better phone in your price range (believe pricing starts at $300 US) - https://www.poco.net/global/specs/
EDIT: should add that this is a fairly new release and would wait a little longer for a version with NA LTE bands.
doradxplorer wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 1:41 pm
Sounds like you want a poco phone but it's a tad over your budget. How about a used V20 or V30?
Yeah, Pocophone would be perfect. The price could be ok if I wasn't that afraid about DHL adding duty brokerage fees. Plus, as you said, for now LTE bands are a deal breaker.
The phone is not for me so I would avoid a used phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4441 posts
264 upvotes
I am using a Honor Mate SE (Huawei), works great out of the box. Why do you need all the ROM customization and stuff?
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
263 posts
188 upvotes
Lovable wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 1:27 am
I am using a Honor Mate SE (Huawei), works great out of the box. Why do you need all the ROM customization and stuff?
It's not that I want the ROM customization, it's that I know the person I will give the phone always had Nexus phones and like Android Stock, so we can forget about MIUI, Samsung, etc. Except if there's active development on XDA for alternative ROMs.
But, custom ROMs are nice to get latest Android when the manufacturer forgot about its clients...
Jan 13, 2017
197 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
I'd suggest Essential phone but that doesn't have 3.5 mm jack. Disappointed But Relieved FaceDisappointed But Relieved Face
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
263 posts
188 upvotes
I didn't know it was so difficult to compare performances of phones online...
I look at the Nokia 6.1, and if I'm only checking AnTuTu, that's almost the same as Nexus 5X.

I'm just lost, we probably will wait for Pocophone to deliver a NA edition or buy a Mi 8 when there will be alternative ROMs..
Jul 5, 2004
23287 posts
2855 upvotes
vicktnguyen wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:28 am
I'd suggest Essential phone but that doesn't have 3.5 mm jack. Disappointed But Relieved FaceDisappointed But Relieved Face
Still don't understand why people care so much about a 3.5 mm jack when an adapter is included with the phone.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29254 posts
4324 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you want stock (pure) android, your only option is Pixel

Pixel 2 Will be on sale everywhere soon
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2983 posts
428 upvotes
Markham, ON
Shaner wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:54 am
Still don't understand why people care so much about a 3.5 mm jack when an adapter is included with the phone.
Then you should take the time to learn instead of being biased.

If you're using a USB type C phone, try using a Micro USB and a USB Type C adapter to your phone and let me know how fast it charges or how fast the data transfer is to your computer compared to a native cable.

Just because it "fits" due to an adapter, does not mean the quality will be the same.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)