Smartphone at what age?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 4:02 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3946 posts
529 upvotes
Aurora
OK, whose buying little precious an iPhone X for Christmas?Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 13, 2016
955 posts
409 upvotes
In addition to the age, I guess it also matters how much of a sacrifice you are willing to do as a parent. If you want kids to reduce their smartphone usage, try to reduce yours as well. Use your phone as little as possible when in front of them. Set an example. Try to distract and engage kids in other activities.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
As I may have mentioned before, you can use apps like mypact to limit their access. You decide when apps are on or off...the apps will actually disappear from the screen.

Our 14 year old is the only one who has a phone and tablet of his own. He gets 2 hours a day on the weekend. During the week he can get an hour a day, once he shows he has completed the required tasks we have for him (i.e. dishes, room, laundry). ..we get him to send a picture. Then we can remotely activate.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5265 posts
661 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:36 am
As I may have mentioned before, you can use apps like mypact to limit their access. You decide when apps are on or off...the apps will actually disappear from the screen.

Our 14 year old is the only one who has a phone and tablet of his own. He gets 2 hours a day on the weekend. During the week he can get an hour a day, once he shows he has completed the required tasks we have for him (i.e. dishes, room, laundry). ..we get him to send a picture. Then we can remotely activate.
How does he send a picture if the phone / tablet is de-activated?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:48 am
How does he send a picture if the phone / tablet is de-activated?
You can allow certain apps to work and can time them. For example, we could have the imessage up and running if we want. Or email.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5265 posts
661 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:21 pm
You can allow certain apps to work and can time them. For example, we could have the imessage up and running if we want. Or email.
Gotcha.
May 8, 2009
1796 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Many parents seem to get their kids phones when they spend more time outside of the house while not at school. I suppose that's a fair concern, and it's possible to restrict usage when at home.

I was thinking of establishing a skill requirement to earn the privilege of using a phone. Perhaps once my child builds me a website in HTML (in text editor), then they can have a phone. Until then, we'll stick with Fisher-Price since it doesn't have iMessage :lol:
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Apr 6, 2013
33 posts
10 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:25 am
In addition to the age, I guess it also matters how much of a sacrifice you are willing to do as a parent. If you want kids to reduce their smartphone usage, try to reduce yours as well. Use your phone as little as possible when in front of them. Set an example. Try to distract and engage kids in other activities.
This is not an option for 90% of the public who are completely addicted.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9571 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
There is now more firm research out there on the impact of the first generation of 'kids' having grown up in the iPhone generation. And it doesn't look good. Social media (of course with a smartphone, it is all encompassing vs family desktop, or even laptop) tends to impact females more leading to more anxiety, depression, and thoughts and attempts of suicide. There is also another recent somewhat wide but not as 'in-depth' survey study that females are more impacted by non-physical abuse (online bully, verbal 'assault/trash talking').

Given the amount of anxiety disorders in teens/really young adults, and even grade school kids seen today, I completely agree with it, and almost expected it. So I think definitely limiting it's use or monitoring it somehow is key. Hard to do obviously if parents are less technically savvy or on it themselves alot. Or as often the case, parents actually being scared/caving in to their kids today, driven by social pressure to. Are non-smartphones still an option? I.e. old flip phones with keypad texting?
Sep 13, 2016
955 posts
409 upvotes
borntohula wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 2:47 pm
This is not an option for 90% of the public who are completely addicted.
Well, 24/7 access to smartphone is definitely not a critical need. It is a definitely an option, albeit a difficult one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Stock R