• Dec 25th, 2010 5:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1312 posts
184 upvotes

Smartphones (with Wifi)

Thought I'd post this, even if not too likely I'd buy anywhere.

So my Rogers contract is almost up, I'd like to get a smartphone with wifi, that would mean I could use the internets without incurring data usage right?

Anyway, I don't want to be in a contract again, at least not now, so are any deals out there worth it, contract (curious) or not? I see some FS/BB with gift cards, but they likely would not be a good deal, unless you're okay with spending plenty, contracts, etc.

Thanks!
4 replies
Sep 1, 2006
340 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in the same situation as you.
I've seen a smartphone (HTC Legend) at best buy with Virgin. They have that tab thing which makes it attractive since you get to chose whatever you went to spend on the phone and whatever you want for your plan. There's only a 30$ rebate but there's a 200$ BB gift card you can use or sell.

It's the best I've seen so far. From what I've seen, only Virgin let's you buy/use a smartphone without a data plan. With the other big players you'll have too. I'm in Quebec so I don't know about Wind and Mobilicity and others though.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1312 posts
184 upvotes
I'll probably just call Rogers, and speak with retention, and hope for the best.

The Virgin tab seems just about as bad as a contract, as you'll have to spend the equivalent of an X year contract, and surely they have early termination fees too. I suppose with the BB/FS gift certificate that would help. I'll likely just mention that when speaking to retention.
Sep 1, 2006
340 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Well, the thing with the tab is that the you can cancel anytime and the fees are just what's left to pay on the phone. I think it's much better than getting a plan because you can avoid getting data plans which you'll have to on a contract if you get a smartphone.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1312 posts
184 upvotes
That makes it sound better, depending on plans, etc.

I think I would not mind the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. With Rogers at FS, it is $0, but on a 3 year term, and a $100 gift card, but of course select plans.

Think I will still try and call Rogers...