None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1190 posts
164 upvotes
Richmond Hill
VolDead08 wrote:
May 1st, 2014 10:43 pm
Looks like my modem might of shipped with a different firmware? I can't seem to change any settings, just view what is currently already there. The Bell Tech didn't understand what was wrong and ask me to google it. I log into the modem using 192.168.2.1 and both username and password are "user" and then I can't change anything? Here is a picture of what I am currently seeing. I don't see any "advance settings" or anything to change anything? Not really sure what I should do here...

[IMG]http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b44 ... ture-1.png[/IMG]
The part I bolded is your problem. You're only logging on as a normal user and not as administrator. To change settings, you must be logged in as an administrator.
Try:
username: admin password: config
or
username: admin password: admin
Jan 27, 2014
71 posts
8 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kaws wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 12:29 am
The part I bolded is your problem. You're only logging on as a normal user and not as administrator. To change settings, you must be logged in as an administrator.
Try:
username: admin password: config
or
username: admin password: admin
I love you, thanks for everything! The Admin/Config worked. I will start setting it up ASAP. Thanks a lot!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3236 posts
1102 upvotes
Toronto
VolDead08 wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 12:38 am
I love you, thanks for everything! The Admin/Config worked. I will start setting it up ASAP. Thanks a lot!
sorry for the info i gave earlier, I thought it was a locked modem thing. Thanks kaws for helping out.
Dec 4, 2007
105 posts
25 upvotes
I got the modem from Contact. When I put the SmartRG in bridge mode following the Teksavvy instructions, the download speeds fall from 25mbps to 10mbps and the upload speed remain at 10mbps.

Is there any setting require to keep the download speed in the the modem or router (other than PPPoE)?
Is this a problem with the Contact modem firmware?

I also connected the modem directly to my windows 7 computer and I get the same issue, So I'm guessing the problem is the SmartRG.

Thanks.

Edit: never mind it was my mistake. Bridge mode is working just fine. But speeds change during the day from 25 mbps to 14 mbps.
Jun 16, 2007
343 posts
20 upvotes
King
Same issue here, kinda. I get full 25/10 using speedtest.net to AEI but 10mbps to any other site like easynews.com
canachi wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 8:56 am
I got the modem from Contact. When I put the SmartRG in bridge mode following the Teksavvy instructions, the download speeds fall from 25mbps to 10mbps and the upload speed remain at 10mbps.

Is there any setting require to keep the download speed in the the modem or router (other than PPPoE)?
Is this a problem with the Contact modem firmware?

I also connected the modem directly to my windows 7 computer and I get the same issue, So I'm guessing the problem is the SmartRG.

Thanks.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1602 upvotes
North York
are you physically connected to the modem or on wifi?
Circuit wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 9:16 am
Same issue here, kinda. I get full 25/10 using speedtest.net to AEI but 10mbps to any other site like easynews.com
Mar 30, 2006
374 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Does this modem has gigabit lan? I can't find the info anywhere.
Jun 16, 2007
343 posts
20 upvotes
King
Physically, no WIFI. Modem to Tomato based router to PC
infamouskid wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 9:32 am
are you physically connected to the modem or on wifi?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1602 upvotes
North York
easynews like the usenet provider?
if so then the problem is not with contact but rather your usenet provider.
Circuit wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 9:16 am
Jun 16, 2007
343 posts
20 upvotes
King
But I get full 25mbs with Rogers. My friend gets a full 100mbs. Google drive is slower too, so is Adobe cloud. Bandwidth to AEI is fine, but anything else is crippled down to 10mbs. I can do speedtests to any other server besides AEI and only get 10mbs.
Yes easynews is a usenet. With huge bandwidth. I just find ALL my traffic slower over contact.net

infamouskid, what speedtests do you get to other servers besides AEI? I'm assuming you have contact.net?

Thanks
infamouskid wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 10:54 am
easynews like the usenet provider?
if so then the problem is not with contact but rather your usenet provider.
Jan 27, 2014
71 posts
8 upvotes
Oakville, ON
The internet I am receiving is working fine, I am getting the promised speeds and everything. One question though, when I go to run a speed test, it says I am located in Montreal? It also said I was located in Great Sudbury. Is this normal for anyone else or should I be worried? Everything is working fine and speeds seem exactly the same as when I was with Bell.
Jun 23, 2010
23 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
andr3y wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 9:40 am
Does this modem has gigabit lan? I can't find the info anywhere.
No gigabit LAN.

Source: Logging into my own SmartRG SR505n modem's web interface and checking out its features.
Jan 27, 2014
71 posts
8 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Seems like I am getting terrible speeds tonight, ran a speedtest and was only receiving 7 down and 7 up compared to 25 down and 10 up. Everything was working fine this afternoon.
Mar 30, 2006
374 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Mad_Doktor wrote:
May 2nd, 2014 3:11 pm
No gigabit LAN.

Source: Logging into my own SmartRG SR505n modem's web interface and checking out its features.
Seems like a reliable source! Too bad, I was hoping it would. Thanks!
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Why is the sync profile of the SmartRG slower than the cellpipe? Especially the upload speed? I get 7.2 mbps on the cellpipe but only 6 mbps on the SmartRG...What's up with that?? :confused: