• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2017 4:56 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2008
188 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough
How do you guys find the network traffic speed? It seems slow to me on this router. It seems that I need to bridge and add a good router.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2636 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary
does this support wireless pppoe bridge? thanks
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
May 23, 2010
6 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
hi,

I can't connect to the internet.

I'm using contactnet internet service, b the smartrg 505 modem from a third party, it was working fine, then today can't connect to the internet.

1. reset modem, restarted mac (using osx 10.9.4)
2. result: can't connect to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1
3. power, lan, wlan, dsl, internet lights are on
4. i'm using a mac

Contact.net says they can't help me.

1. because i'm using a mac, and they don't know how to test pinging on a mac to check if im receiving/send packets or whatever. their solution was for me to "get a windows laptop and test it" or "connect another modem" - like have either of those lying around. They literally told me they can't him because i'm a mac user, what kind of tech support is this?

2. they can't help me because i didn't buy the modem from them

i'm so angry. they didn't help me to begin with setting up the modem because i didn't buy it from them, and they can't help me now, because they just don't know how, they keep telling me to get a new laptop or try a "different" modem. they keep saying it shows u have internet, and i keep telling them i can't connect "sir everything connects on our end"

I didn't do anything to change my settings, it just stopped working.
Sep 27, 2007
34 posts
xxx
According to user manual:

"USB ports on SmartRG products currently provide +5 DC volts. Future firmware updates will enable data transfer via USB."

So it seems right not it's nothing more than charging right now. Given it's a Linux device, Samba /FTP / NFS are all options but it's seldom just plug and play process. There are usually steps to go through and since there are no configuration screens in the router it won't work. Even Apple Airport is not just plug and play. The USB sharing works fine but it takes a while to figure it out as it's not something that Apple promotes. It requires a bit user involvement, which would lead to support requests, so I think for that reason it's not enabled by default in this router.

Edit:
You can probably flash the router with your own firmware and get the USB port working. If they say future firmware upgrades will enable it, it would probably mean it's connected to the logic board and not just to the power source. So custom firmware update should may enable it. In the meantime there are other options like Apple Airport or AirStash. In case of AirStash you only get WebDav when connected between computer and the device, so don't expect much speed.
espo2k wrote:
May 1st, 2014 8:46 pm
Wow. Huge props for bringing this together, OP. I found it very useful for diagnosing a couple of issues.

On a sidenote, I tried connecting a 2.5 external hard drive to the side USB port but not sure what to do next. It does spin up but that's doesn't mean it's accessible at all :P
Jul 23, 2012
308 posts
77 upvotes
Montreal
Really good compilation but for Electronic Box the default login details are different:

Username: admin
Password: eboxadmin

Troy_McClure wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2014 7:34 pm
Why pick the SmartRG?
ADSL Mode
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3236 posts
1103 upvotes
Toronto
beneran89 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 6:57 pm
Really good compilation but for Electronic Box the default login details are different:

Username: admin
Password: eboxadmin
Thanks, updated the post.
Oct 9, 2014
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Hi, I am currently using the Sagemcom 2864 with Teksavvy on 25/10, and I am pretty frustrated with it. I'm considering buying a SmartRG, but not sure if it will solve my problems and internet needs. Could anyone knowledgible answer if it will do the following?

I need to have a good, reliable connection to a Amazon AWS server/database. The Sagemcom seems to be blocking my connection, and I cannot get it to disable this blocking nor get it to work in Bridge mode. With the SmartRG, I should be able to access the advanced features and disable any firewall or restrictions on connections right? Even if it doesn't work, with true bridge mode on the SmartRG I could supposedly use another router and circumvent the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3236 posts
1103 upvotes
Toronto
KingSkyWing wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 5:51 pm
Hi, I am currently using the Sagemcom 2864 with Teksavvy on 25/10, and I am pretty frustrated with it. I'm considering buying a SmartRG, but not sure if it will solve my problems and internet needs. Could anyone knowledgible answer if it will do the following?

I need to have a good, reliable connection to a Amazon AWS server/database. The Sagemcom seems to be blocking my connection, and I cannot get it to disable this blocking nor get it to work in Bridge mode. With the SmartRG, I should be able to access the advanced features and disable any firewall or restrictions on connections right? Even if it doesn't work, with true bridge mode on the SmartRG I could supposedly use another router and circumvent the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Hey sorry for the late response, I don't really have any technical info you're looking for but maybe you can try asking on teksavvy dsl forums (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy), or contacting teksavvy directly and talking to tech support. With the SmartRG you can access all the advanced features by logging in and you can disable the firewall and such. When using it in bridgemode the smartRG becomes a modem (I believe firewall is disabled) and you use a router to input your teksavvy username and password for dsl.
Oct 9, 2014
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Thanks for your response! I have already bought the SmartRG upon further research :)
Jun 13, 2003
190 posts
12 upvotes
Anyone here successfully have this modem running in bridged mode and using a Linksys e3000 running tomato usb to work with Distributel?
Cannot get mine to work. Any suggestions would be of great help.
Thanks.
Mar 9, 2008
71 posts
15 upvotes
Quebec
Hi,
I just get that modem and the spec in their website is good than my router TL-WR340G.
I need advice from u guy if it better do bridge with Smart RG 505n and get a good router. or let it be in router mode (do modem and router)

if buy new router any suggestion?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2692 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
What does it mean when it says Disabled instead of pass/fail on the diagnostics page?