Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A

Smell in fridge

There's this bad smell coming from inside the fridge. It's not strong, but you can smell it.

I checked all items (which aren't many) and nothing is smelling, all items are relatively new, we don't keep leftovers much.

Any ideas? Thanks.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Many times a smell from fridge is not the obvious, a bad sour product.

As you mentioned you looked at all your items, did you check freezer as well?

So the next part is to get down and gritty, remove all items from fridge and start cleaning it with soap and water as spilled items can stay and leave a odour. remember clean the gaskets around doors as well as any shelfing if removable on all sides. Also move fridge and clean under neath never knwo something may have feel on floor underneath and is causing smell.

If smell still present, get a fridge freshener and put in and see if smell goes away.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Something in the freezer? Air from the freezer is used to cool the fridge.
What kind of smell? Sour? Decay? Fruity? Pull out the meat, fruit and vegetable storage and see if soemthing fell or dripped behind.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
It has to be rotting food in the fridge.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
check all inside panel and gasket seams, might be something spilled...
check all open dairy products
put open container with baking soda - it reduces the smell
remove everything and clean the fridge. In my case it was spilled milk into ventilation channel.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
my wife uses baking soda. just buy a small pack and leave it open
Feb 25, 2010
686 posts
24 upvotes
IT might be from under or behind the fridge (something died maybe?). Or something dropped and rolled under.
Sep 9, 2009
191 posts
1 upvote
Use baking soda OR
put a half cut lime into a bowl of water and place it on any shelf in your fridge.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Ignore the door
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
kenny blankenship wrote: ignore the door

lol! +1
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
12 upvotes
check underneath. There is probably a tray that needs cleaning. My folks had a year old fridge that was smelling, and after countless cleanings, they found a hidden tray.
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
22 upvotes
OTTAWA
Most often the culprit is meat juices. We put a packet of ground meat say on a shelf and it leaks, seeps down to another level. The best thing to do is periodically (more often then I do :) take out all shelves, put them in the bathtub and wash these plus wash down the whole interior of the "shelfless" fridge.
Most often it's meat juice that has seeped down to the crisper area.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)