• Oct 16th, 2023 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2198 posts
2414 upvotes

Smell outside from Natural Gas Fireplace

I recently moved into a new home that has a natural gas fireplace, with a direct vent that exhausts on the opposite side of the wall (outside). There is no odour at all inside the home, however, when I'm outside I believe I catch a faint wiff of gas around the exhaust. I can't tell if this is normal, or if I should have it checked out. I barely use the fireplace, but I do have the pilot light (and gas) running constantly.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
Do you smell it all the time or just before it fires up? If you flip the switch does it turn on instantly?

Likely needs a service call, mine did the same this year, phoned the service company they adjusted the ignition and cleaned out the lines and the problem was solved. I was suffering from delayed ignition
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2198 posts
2414 upvotes
mpt wrote: Do you smell it all the time or just before it fires up? If you flip the switch does it turn on instantly?

Likely needs a service call, mine did the same this year, phoned the service company they adjusted the ignition and cleaned out the lines and the problem was solved. I was suffering from delayed ignition
All the time (with just the pilot light running). When I flip the switch to turn it on, it takes a second and then the fire lights up, and spreads in little spurts.

How much did that cost?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
it was around $200 for a full service and cleaning; my problem was solved
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to revive this old thread but I have the same problem.

My family room gas fireplace pilot wasn’t lighting properly so I cleaned out the pipe and it lit fine after that, and stays lit. However I’ve noticed some occasional light gas smell from the exhaust outside. No smell at all inside. I guess the pilot gas outlet isn’t fully cleaned and some gas is escaping. For the time being I’ve shut the fireplace off and shut off the gas valve to it. I’ll try blowing the debris out with compressed air. If that doesn’t solve it I guess I’ll have to call a maintenance person.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)