• Mar 7th, 2013 12:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7709 posts
243 upvotes

smoke detector making beeping noise - didn't see anywhere to replace battery

MY alarm is making a short beep noise every hour (randomly) or so. I Google a bit and the common solution is to replace the battery. However, I cannot find any battery to replace (it is wired to the house). So what can I do here?

Edit: I think this is the one: American Sensor

http://www.aartech.ca/cos2010-american- ... -120v.html
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3900 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
Some wired alarms have a battery backup in which case the battery door could either be in the front or the back

Or they could be past their recommended replacement date, or could be indicating that they need to be cleaned
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7709 posts
243 upvotes
I think I found the model, but it didn't say there is a battery backup.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3900 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
elty wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 10:54 pm

Then it either needs to be replaced, or cleaned
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4156 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Smoke detector. Not fire alarm.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14815 posts
1494 upvotes
elty wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 10:54 pm

Does your model have a sealed backup battery? I think some have non-replaceable batteries?

Anyways a new fire alarm is like 15.00 for a basic model, maybe less aggravation just to buy a new one.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
4526 posts
974 upvotes
Kootenays
There's a 10 year lifespan on hard wired smoke detectors. If it's been 10 years, replace it. If it's younger than 10 years, try to vacuum it out, as dust will set them off, as will small insects.
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
smacd wrote:
Jun 10th, 2012 1:49 am
There's a 10 year lifespan on hard wired smoke detectors. If it's been 10 years, replace it. If it's younger than 10 years, try to vacuum it out, as dust will set them off, as will small insects.

^^ yep. My smoke and carbon monoxide detectors all have signs on them that indicate 10 year limits from the date of manufacture. and there are even stickers on it as well in case you don't have the batteries in place to indicate it. Now.. I have to go buy NG detectors and stuff that into the basement too..hopefully i'll be able to hear it if it ever goes off...
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1071 posts
184 upvotes
ON
BuildingHomes wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 11:13 pm
Smoke detector. Not fire alarm.

Smoke alarm, not detector. A smoke detector has a sensor that detects smoke that has to be connected to a central control for power, signal processing, and to activate notification devices. Used when you have a "fire alarm panel" and separate horns/strobes.

Smoke alarm is a stand-alone unit that has a sensor, control, and notification within the unit with the power supply at the unit.

Otherwise, the other posts pretty much covered it. Check the power supply (for a battery and wiring), clean, etc. Otherwise, it needs to be replaced as it's not a serviceable item. Humidity could make it act up as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2527 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe one of your other ones has a battery backup? I have a few hard wired together. The one in the kitchen has a battery backup and when the battery is on it's way out they all start to make the occasional short beep.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1071 posts
184 upvotes
ON
dirtmover wrote:
Jun 10th, 2012 9:47 am
Maybe one of your other ones has a battery backup? I have a few hard wired together. The one in the kitchen has a battery backup and when the battery is on it's way out they all start to make the occasional short beep.

^+1
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7709 posts
243 upvotes
Alarm is like 4 years old. Tried to clean it with vacuum and doesn't work. No one ever do any wiring work so I guess wiring won't just suddenly fail.

I guess my only option is to replace it? Does every smoke alarm in the house must be the same brand?

Also, does the wiring and mount for every alarm is the same? or I am better off with the same unit just for easy installation.
May 28, 2012
8937 posts
1527 upvotes
Saskatoon
The wired alarms have to be the same (from our experience, anyway).
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3404 posts
745 upvotes
Paris ON
Had this happen to both my smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector, also american sensor branded units. Both failed prematurely, but when I called the warranty number it was out of service. Ended up buying new ones after having the batteries out for a few months :facepalm:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1071 posts
184 upvotes
ON
elty wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:54 pm
Alarm is like 4 years old. Tried to clean it with vacuum and doesn't work. No one ever do any wiring work so I guess wiring won't just suddenly fail.

I guess my only option is to replace it? Does every smoke alarm in the house must be the same brand?

Also, does the wiring and mount for every alarm is the same? or I am better off with the same unit just for easy installation.
If they are interconnected then generally they have to be the same brand. You can usually use different models within the brand (i.e. Kiddie's ionization, photoelectric, and smoke/CO).

The wiring connector and mount is generally different as well.
× < >